Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Alexander Officially #37? (MET)

SkinsFreak4-Life

I read in a article he already bought it from him.

37 Comes Cheap

Alexander started his Redskins career as No. 35' date=' but will end it with his customary No. 37, after engineering a three-player deal involving safeties Reed Doughty and Mike Green. I asked Alexander how much Doughty's number had cost him. "Reed's got a good heart, man," he said with a smile.

In other words, Doughty didn't ask for nearly enough. And let's hope the curse of the new Redskins running back buying his number from a Redskins DB doesn't again rear its ugly head, if you know what I mean.[/quote']

refresh my memory on the previous running back that bought from a DB? I forget.....

When Portis joined the Redskins in 2004, his jersey number (26) was already taken by safety Ifeanyi Ohalete (now with the New York Dragons of the Arena Football League). Portis agreed to pay Ohalete $40,000 (in three installments) in order to get his number. When Ohalete was cut by the team during the summer, Portis thought that he didn't have to pay him the remaining installments. Ohalete felt otherwise, and eventually the dispute was settled with Portis paying him the rest of the money. Portis originally wanted to have a boxing match with Ohalete for his number 26 but Ohalete declined the challenge.

idk if this is the one they are talking about

When Portis joined the Redskins in 2004, his jersey number (26) was already taken by safety Ifeanyi Ohalete (now with the New York Dragons of the Arena Football League). Portis agreed to pay Ohalete $40,000 (in three installments) in order to get his number. When Ohalete was cut by the team during the summer, Portis thought that he didn't have to pay him the remaining installments. Ohalete felt otherwise, and eventually the dispute was settled with Portis paying him the rest of the money. Portis originally wanted to have a boxing match with Ohalete for his number 26 but Ohalete declined the challenge.

idk if this is the one they are talking about

The word "Duh" comes to mind;)

Heard a great interview with Alexander on Comcast this morning.

Said that as a kid through high school he chose #44 because of " a certain running back with a mohawk" but knew that #44 wouldn't be available here in DC. He switched up to #37 in college IIRC because another bigtime linebacker had #44.

Well if this is true, then all is good, because Reed originally wanted to be #23, then that number was taken by Troy Vincent in a bit of a Rude fashion, saying Doughty had only been there a second, but really Doughty had been there since he was drafted, so, it was several months of work.

So all is good that ends well, Alexander should be his number...

Can someone explain this concern with a players number? I just don't get it.

I understand honoring an all-time great with retiring his #, and I agree with the way the Skins unofficially semi-retire certain numbers of fan favorites. But I don't understand the emphatic concern with a number on a jersey. What does it mean, and why should I care?

I understand honoring an all-time great with retiring his #, and I agree with the way the Skins unofficially semi-retire certain numbers of fan favorites. But I don't understand the emphatic concern with a number on a jersey. What does it mean, and why should I care?

Players can be superstitious. I don't think a player would ever change their number after having success with it. And players are associated with their numbers.

Baseball players are probably the most superstitious and crazy though, they do some wacky stuff regarding good and bad luck.

I played football my whole life (Pee-wee and JHS) as #70. I wore #67 in high school. First play in my first game I blew my knee, game over.

I am not saying if I had #70 I would have been the next Orlando Pace, but if would have not hurt.

I played football my whole life (Pee-wee and JHS) as #70. I wore #67 in high school. First play in my first game I blew my knee, game over.

I am not saying if I had #70 I would have been the next Orlando Pace, but if would have not hurt.

Instead you became the next Tony Mandarich :D

Who the hell is Tony Mandarich.

I am not going to wikipedia the guy, but here is what I remember about him. I think he was a big time O linemen coming out of college. He was drafted by the Packers as the next great thing. He even said that he could beat Mike Tyson's ass in a fight. He was a bust.

FYI-Alexander uses #37 because he has claimed Psalm 37:4 as his life verse. He is a pretty religious guy.

Archived