Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC: Mason Isn't out of the Mix at Running Back

RedskinsSuperBowl21

Well, any team can sign Mason from the Ravens practice squad, or from the Redskins practice squad last year. No one has.
Like I said, it's a wash. Mason being active in the NFL while Alexander has been passed over by every team even though he claims he will play for minimum does not give any advantage to Alexander.

Like I said, it's a wash. Mason being active in the NFL while Alexander has been passed over by every team even though he claims he will play for minimum does not give any advantage to Alexander.

I think that he has been an NFL MVP tilts the scales in favor of Alexander. He has performed at a high-level before...in this offense. Yes it has been a few years, but Mason has never and may never do it.

And he has not been passed over by every team, he was brought in by the Saints, Lions and Bengals. I would take no cues on player evaluation from the Lions and Bengals.

I think that he has been an NFL MVP tilts the scales in favor of Alexander. He has performed at a high-level before...in this offense. Yes it has been a few years, but Mason has never and may never do it.

And he has not been passed over by every team, he was brought in by the Saints, Lions and Bengals. I would take no cues on player evaluation from the Lions and Bengals.

I think either guy could help us out short term. Mason has more potential upside and is currently practicing every day, Alexander brings past accomplishments and some experience with Zorn. I would be happy with either guy on a temporary basis. I don't think Mason sucks, but I never really thought Alexander was all that good either. I hear bad things about his attitude and toughness. Hopefully if he is signed, it won't affect the team unity we seem to be developing.

Question: If they are bringing somebody in to replace Betts for a month, who's getting released? They don't have a roster spot open. There are 2 choices: But Betts on IR or release somebody. If they have to release somebody, I would just as soon let Rock carry the back up load for a while. And I don't want to see Betts on IR either.

As far as who would be a better fit, Mason knows the running offense, Alexander doesn't. Even though it's Jim Zorn's pass offense, they stuck with Gibbs' running attack.

I think Alexander is cooked and done.

Mason was fine in pre-season, but the football folks didn't want to keep him. And nobody has picked him up from a practice squad in 2 years, and that's telling, especially for a RB.

I'm going to trust Vinny and Co. to make this decision, because they know more about the players than we do. My personal vote is not to release anybody.

Even though Rock has had a tendency to fumble here and there, and that's got to be a worry. But Betts has the same tendency.

Mason blows. The manlove for a soft running, butterfingered, UDFA who is nothing but practice squad material is laughable.

I'd rather have Alexander in here simply because we know what he can, or was able to do and not risk signing Mason, who was cut and couldn't beat out any of the RB's on the roster currently.

I'm not pushing for either Mason or Alexander more than the other, but this is an ignorant post in several respects.

Mason blows? What do you base that on? He made the most of every opportunity given him this preseason. He forced a very tough cut decision on the coaching staff, by all accounts. Ultimately he got caught in a numbers game. Portis and Betts were locks. Rock stayed because he is a special teams ace and leader.

Soft running? Mason lowered his head at the end of EVERY run and drove for extra yards. I defy you to find examples where he was driven back on any of his runs this preseason.

You may be of the opinion that his success in the preseason doesn't translate into the regular season, but to say "he blows" is ignorant.

Alexander couldn't pass off his resume to ANY TEAM in the entire NFL. Your argument blows. As usual.

How you so love your thoughtless arguments, as usual.

Mason can't cut it in the NFL, this much is plainly obvious to anyone as he is on a PS and no one has touched him since. He's yet another player like Mix who people love because he's a "local" product.

I never said I was in favor of signing Alexander or Mason but rather would have Alexander, who has proven he can actually be productive in the NFL, over a UDFA scrub like Mason. As usual, your lack of understanding and comprehension cripples the majority of your posts.

Yes our running schemes are the same as last year, but the pass blocking is not. I would trust Alexander to pick up a blitz over Mason anyday.

Mason can't even get onto the Ravens roster with McGahee banged up. He ran well against 2nd, 3rd, and 4th string players that probably aren't playing much now, if at all, just like him.

We need Rock on special teams, so we can't overwork him at RB. Mason sucks at special teams and is not as good as Rock running the ball.

I say Alexander all the way.

Lets look at the bigger picture.

The team signs Mason (which btw has to be for at least 3 weeks), he does ok, Betts comes back. We all know we are not going to keep him, we didnt at the begining of the season, no different now. So you release him, and he gets paid zilch. If he stays on a practice squad he gets $5200.00 per week. Now do you think we are doing him justice ??

OK-so we sign Alexander and he does ok. Betts comes back, we release Alexander, he gets paid vet minimum.

As far as who would be a better fit, Mason knows the running offense, Alexander doesn't. Even though it's Jim Zorn's pass offense, they stuck with Gibbs' running attack.

This is incorrect. During Jim Zorn's press conference after a game a few weeks ago (not sure which one), he said that we run all of the same running plays as Seattle, not whatever gibbs was using. What he did keep was the terminology in order to make it easier for our guys to adjust. The running plays are different, so therefore Alexander knows the running O and Mason was only exposed to it for a brief time, during which he reportedly was having difficulty picking it up. Its not the same running game as Gibbs, its directly taken from Seattle/Holmgren.

Honestly, I can't stand Alexander, but Mason worries me. Not because I don't think he's talented, but to take a guy like that and throw him into a backup role on a team that is pretty successful right now may backfire. If he goes out for just 4-5 carries a game and tries to do too much, the ball could end up on the ground quick.

The Giants did alright last year with a rookie RB named Bradshaw and some other guy named Ward. Bottom line is can the dude play? Only one way to find out...

Personally, I would rather Rock or Mason spelling Portis over Alexander at this point in his career.

I think you are seriously jumping to conclusions - If they sign Alexander, I would expect him to the be the #2. Rock is on the team for special teams, and to be an emergency RB - They do NOT want to have him getting 5-10 carries a game....

Why not? He was signed to an extended contract recently. If he can catch and hold onto the ball during kickoffs, he should be able to handle the ball on offense. On top of that, he's like a mini muscle missile and hits holes hard.

Alexander may be in decent shape, but he's not in football shape yet. On top of that he has 3 days to learn the new terminology (he may get a few plays) as well as be ready to take hits in a game again.

I liked Mason in preseason and would love to see him play...but I too am a little worried about mistakes.

shuan aint going to break nothing. He might come in on 2 and 1 and try to power run for a yard but we can use sellers for that. if we are going to get a back it should be somebody with a burst that can take one to the crib. As you see we can open up holes and can use some speed to break a big play. I dont see SA doing that.

Archived