Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC: Mason Isn't out of the Mix at Running Back

RedskinsSuperBowl21

Posted at 12:02 PM ET, 10/14/2008

Mason Isn't out of the Mix at Running Back

Jason La Canfora reports:

Shaun Alexander's visit to Redskins Park has generated a lot of buzz, given his past performance with the Seattle Seahawks, but signing him isn't the only option the Redskins are considering, according to league sources. There is an ongoing internal discussion about Marcus Mason, who was cut by the Redskins on Aug. 30. He has been on the Baltimore Ravens' practice squad. Depending on the outcome of workouts today, the team is expected to reach a decision by the end of the day on both a running back and a punter.

Betts 'Dodged a Bullet'

Jason La Canfora reports:

Ladell Betts "dodged a bullet" with his knee injury Sunday, according to a source with knowledge of the situation. The injury, which initially looked as if it could be serious, is a strained lateral cruciate ligament and strained hamstring, with some swelling in his calf.

The Redskins have said that the injury appears likely to sideline Betts for at least two weeks. The source expects Betts to be out about four weeks, putting him on pace for a return after the bye week.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

Honestly, I can't stand Alexander, but Mason worries me. Not because I don't think he's talented, but to take a guy like that and throw him into a backup role on a team that is pretty successful right now may backfire. If he goes out for just 4-5 carries a game and tries to do too much, the ball could end up on the ground quick.

You bring in the vet who is proven, not the guy on a practice squad, that you cut, because you didn't see him as even a 3rd or 4th string RB. I like the kid and thought he did well in pre-season, but that's exactly what it was, pre-season.

Alexander knows the game and our coaches and is more capable of not ****ing up than a guy we cut.

i personally would rather take mason, hes a young guy and I have liked what Ive seen so far, even dating back to his days at gtown prep. Alexander is getting up in age. just my opinion tho

agreed. Mason was nice in preseason and I think he'd have much success splitting carries with Portis too!

You bring in the vet who is proven, not the guy on a practice squad, that you cut, because you didn't see him as even a 3rd or 4th string RB. I like the kid and thought he did well in pre-season, but that's exactly what it was, pre-season.

Alexander knows the game and our coaches and is more capable of not ****ing up than a guy we cut.

I disagree. Alexander was already soft when he got cut, and Mason plays football every day. Unsupervised gym workouts vs a guy on the practice field every day, I take the player. Still pretty even though, considering everything.

Mason was a pre-season star. Training Camp all-pro.

Sorry, I'll take the former MVP and rushing champ.

Experience is key here. Mason hasn't ever taken a real snap.

First: Mason was not in all-pro in training camp. Quite the opposite. He had a hard time learning a system.

Second: You want a washed up former MVP rushing champ, why not sign Emmitt Smith? See my point?

Archived