Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Well guess who has swelling in their knee...

Saqs

The good news is so far we haven't needed him. And people should not jump to conclusions as well.

Yes, he reportedly has a degenerative knee condition, which caused him to fall down the draft boards. But guess what? That was the same reason Rocky McIntosh, a first round talent, fell to the second. After not doing much for us his rookie year, Rocky has looked pretty damn good so far and I doubt many of you (even the D'Qwell Jackson fans) regret we drafted him.

Hell, I'm sure the Cowboys would have loved it if they had Rocky over their 1st round LB Bobby Carpenter.

I agree. This is my one significant gripe about the team's decision-making this season. McMullen should have been kept around at least until Kelly proved he was healthy and able to contribute.

I was dumbfounded when we let McMullen go, but I thought maybe the team knows something I don't about Kelly's availability. Now, I just think we botched the move.

At this point, I'd probably shut Kelly down for the year and just hope he comes back healthy next year. Might as well bring in a Reche Caldwell-type guy who can start getting worked into the picture, or promote someone from the practice squad.

We're dangerously thin at WR as long as we keep a gimpy Kelly on the roster.

I wouldn't worry too much. We're thick at TE with Cooley, Yoder, and Davis. If we go down a WR you may see more plays with Portis or Cooley lined up wide.

Honestly, this is probably a case of him getting on the practice field too soon after having his knee scoped.

Kelly will probably be fine with his knees in the long term but he needs to stop trying to come back too soon and let them heal in the short term.

totally agree. But I also agree with Longshot. If we put him on IR, he cant practice with the team, which not only could set him back on the learning curve, but also could influence his mental outlook.

He had zero catches, and I don't recall seeing him step foot on the field. What are you referring to?

I think the poster was referring to Kelly's 3rd down catch for a 1st down in a previous game.

MK was on the field for a few plays yesterday. JC threw one to him on a slant, but the ball was batted down by a d lineman.

According to JZ, Mr. Kelly of course :doh:

This might mean that the surgeon who operated on his knee didn't get all the pieces out and will need arthroscopic surgery again to clean it out. I believe this was supposed to have been done already if that is the case.

How are we "dangerously" thin at WR? We have four other guys on the roster and two on the practice squad. To be honest, 4 WRs are going to have a tought time getting on the field as is.

Jason

Assuming everyone else stays healthy, you're right.

I'm saying dangerously thin in the sense that we really can't afford an injury to one of our four receivers who are actually playing. If any one of Moss, ARE, Thrash, or Thomas gets hurt, I think we've got a problem.

McMullen would have been a nice insurance policy. I thought we were deeper last year with guys like Caldwell and McCardell able to step in.

If Kelly were healthy and able to contribute, that would be one thing. But I think we were too quick to let McMullen go.

Look, I don't want to be a Debbie Downer here. I'm ecstatic about the way things are going for us this year. I just think we should have hung onto McMullen until Kelly was fully healthy and contributing.

How are we "dangerously" thin at WR? We have four other guys on the roster and two on the practice squad. To be honest, 4 WRs are going to have a tought time getting on the field as is.

Jason

I agree we have other positions that could use depth more. It's only 1/4 thru the season and we have been lucky with injury so far, but depth trumps luck any day. Long way to go.

I still think Kelly has a pretty good upside, I also believe that he will be incredibly motivated to play when he gets the chance. Up to now carrying him on the roster has not hurt us, we need to give it some more time to see if his knee clears up and he is able to contribute. If Thomas and Kelly are able to be brought along I think they add another dimension to our offense that we currently don't have, which is the big body wide receiver.

I would like to see Zorn in action with a four wide set including Kelly and Thomas, and then come back with a two TE set with Cooley and Davis. I think the offense would be very potent if the rookies can contribute later in the season.

Wow... hindsight is 20/20. I know we'll all think we should've just put him on PUP, but we felt like he'd be able to contribute.

Well, he did give us a big third down conversion at least. We need to just wrap his entire body in bubble wrap and lock him in a room for a month with game tape.

Hindsight? I called this bum out before the draft, back when he was whinning about not running his 40 on grass, or field turf or whatever his crappy excuse was.

Waste of a pick when D line and CB needed depth. I was not too upset with the Thomas pick, but when Kelly came up on the board I stopped watching the draft. Right then and there I knew the Skins made a huge mistake. Even if he knee gets better, he still needs to work on his attitude and stop blaming other people/things for his problems. Grow up and be a man before you try to play in the NFL.

Honestly, this is probably a case of him getting on the practice field too soon after having his knee scoped.

Kelly will probably be fine with his knees in the long term but he needs to stop trying to come back too soon and let them heal in the short term.

Agreed.

Dude's knee is swollen, BIG DEAL. With Moss, ARE, Tharsh, Devin Thomas, Chris Cooley, Todd Yoder, Fred Davis not to mention Portis and Betts out the backfield the Skins aren't exactly hurting for receivers. Its not like he's holding up a roster spot that the team desperately needs for someone else.

Just think about the rave reviews on Kelly prior to his hamstring pull? Here's a reminder form the Zorn

Quote- http://www.washingtontimes.com/weblogs/redskins-fan-forum/2008/Jun/16/so-howre-they-doing/

"If you watched Kelly today, he beat our corners twice for go routes and did a nice job concentrating on the ball and coming down with the ball. That is really why he is here.

I bet that when Kelly is healthy he'll be a very productive receiver. And the Skins have the luxury of allowing him to heal. Why not keep him on the roster until he's healthy?

:2cents:

:cheers:

13207.a.jpg2697528457_1bf37a9e8c.jpg?v=0

I still think Kelly has a pretty good upside, I also believe that he will be incredibly motivated to play when he gets the chance. Up to now carrying him on the roster has not hurt us, we need to give it some more time to see if his knee clears up and he is able to contribute. If Thomas and Kelly are able to be brought along I think they add another dimension to our offense that we currently don't have, which is the big body wide receiver.

I would like to see Zorn in action with a four wide set including Kelly and Thomas, and then come back with a two TE set with Cooley and Davis. I think the offense would be very potent if the rookies can contribute later in the season.

At this point, I think he needs a full camp to really contribute. Let him heal fully, use the rest of the season to get in shape and study the playbook. Hope for the best next year. We can concentrate on bringing Devin along. Even though he doesn't seem to be grasping the mental aspects of the game yet, we can send him down the sideline when Moss is doubled.

Assuming everyone else stays healthy, you're right.

I'm saying dangerously thin in the sense that we really can't afford an injury to one of our four receivers who are actually playing. If any one of Moss, ARE, Thrash, or Thomas gets hurt, I think we've got a problem.

McMullen would have been a nice insurance policy. I thought we were deeper last year with guys like Caldwell and McCardell able to step in.

If Kelly were healthy and able to contribute, that would be one thing. But I think we were too quick to let McMullen go.

Look, I don't want to be a Debbie Downer here. I'm ecstatic about the way things are going for us this year. I just think we should have hung onto McMullen until Kelly was fully healthy and contributing.

Let's not pretend that McMullen was anything special. He's a decent receiver, but there are plenty of guys like that out there. Hell, Caldwell is still available if we needed to pick up a guy.

To be honest, if we lost a receiver or two, McMullen wasn't going to replace what we were missing. I don't think keeping him on the roster was more valuable than developing the rookies, particularly since the starter have shown no signs of injury.

Jason

I don't know about Kelly being "the worst draft pick ever" but considering it was known that he had a degenerative knee condition, perhaps we should have selected someone else.

Exactly. Washington knew about his knees. It was in the media and I even knew it about the guy before he was drafted. Nothing we can do about it now, but i didnt like either WR pick, and the TE pick while maybe a quality player, not a need and def a headscratcher. We do need to draft better.

I don't know about Kelly being "the worst draft pick ever" but considering it was known that he had a degenerative knee condition, perhaps we should have selected someone else.

Exactly. Washington knew about his knees. It was in the media and I even knew it about the guy before he was drafted. Nothing we can do about it now, but i didnt like either WR pick, and the TE pick while maybe a quality player, not a need and def a headscratcher. We do need to draft better.

Hindsight? I called this bum out before the draft, back when he was whinning about not running his 40 on grass, or field turf or whatever his crappy excuse was. [...] Even if he knee gets better, he still needs to work on his attitude and stop blaming other people/things for his problems. Grow up and be a man before you try to play in the NFL.
Nice of you to be so judgmental about his character. Kelly made a mistake when he ranted about the OU staff, but he was man enough to apologize for it (LINK). I don't see any further reports of him blaming other people (for his knee or anything else). He also does things like, oh, charity work in Liberia (LINK) that "bums" aren't normally known for. He is an incredible talent, and could possibly make a huge contribution in the future, if he can get healthy. He's just had some bad luck with injuries thus far, but nothing that can't be overcome.

you guys overreact too much.

1st off, Jim Zorn stated it as MINOR knee swelling. He will be fine.

2nd, he really isnt needed, BUT that does not mean when HEALTHY he cant help us.

The dude can ball, he is a legit 6'4 receiver and catches EVERYTHING. He also has more speed then ppl give him credit for.

I say let him heal and keep him on the roster and when he is full go without question of his knee, let him work his way in. IMO i think he plays against St. Louis because that game probably (should be) is a blowout and will get an opportunity.

He could be really valuable down the stretch for us when we are fighting for a division title and possible HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE...ok im getting a little a head of myself. LOL

We ripped Zorn in the Redskins in game 1 and now look what we are saying...I have a feeling that trend will continue when Kelly starts to play HEALTHY. just saying

Archived