Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Well guess who has swelling in their knee...

Saqs

Good just be a run of bad luck for the kid. I'm sure he wants to be out there. Especially since we are 4-1. I am more concerned about his ability to learn the offense. I'd love to see something written like, "Kelly knows the offense and is running crisp routes but has been plagued by the injury bug". But preseason and minicamp lead me to believe he was struggling to learn the offense.

Im sure if someone broke wind on MK's knee, it would start swelling and get infected and need to be drained or scoped. It was a bad draft pick, we could have picked up a big HEALTHY WR like Hardy or Nelson or any number of tall recievers that didnt have the knee's of an 80 year old.

As far as Davis is concerned, headscratcher of a pick right now that could turn out to be something, but i would have picked up an O-lineman or a DB with the pick.

IMO the Fred Davis is a good pick for several reasons.

1) He was arguably the best player available and was considered one of if not the best TEs in the draft

2) Chris Cooley is a pro-bowl TE and a key cog in the offense Fred Davis can learn how to be a pro-bowl TE by playing behind him AND IF Cooley were to get banged up the offense wouldn't take that huge of a drop off with the combo of Yoder and Davis

3) IF there are injuries to the WRs he could become an integral part of the receiving game

:2cents:

I agree with you on most points, except the part in bold. I think that Davis was drafted as the BPA, but with the concept of a two TE set. I think that he's going to replace Yoder next year if not sooner, and will possibly be used in more packages than Sellars.

Yoder and Sellers both signed 3 year deals in 2007, so that gives us 2008 to groom Davis and 2009 for them to compete for the #2 TE spot and if Davis wins out, then Yoder becomes a third TE. I really see Davis as an improved version of Robert Royal, to match up with Cooley in two TE sets.

This will give us an option of portis running behind Sellers like he did under Gibbs or running in a 2 TE spread offense where defenses are expecting a pass on first down but Davis and Cooley are better blockers than Yoder.

Cons: He's hurt and hasn't performed for the team.

Pros: We're 4-1 and his absence isn't affecting our ability to execute. Give him time to heal and maybe we'll have another man to work into the equation. If not, we'll have to rely on what we have now, which seems to be working out just fine.

And this is why we should've PUP'd him and kept McMullen.

I think he needs some serious down time to heal all the way.

for the last time he was ineligible for the PUP list. It was either IR or active roster. Those were the choices.

Go look at what Billy McMullen is doing for the Seahags...nothing. And don't give me the he is doing more than Kelly...i could care less. were bickering over a 5th reciever at the moment. I'll say it again, people need to tone down their expectations for him until he can get consistent practice time. Just listen to Zorn- "MK is not ready" "he does not have a grasp on the routes he needs to run". Many other quotes like that. The reason he is behind is lack of practice. This swollen knee will not keep him out of practice. He may not even be active next game, but expect him to show up on the scene later this year. A rookies career is not made or broken 5 weeks into the season.

for the last time he was ineligible for the PUP list. It was either IR or active roster. Those were the choices.

Go look at what Billy McMullen is doing for the Seahags...nothing. And don't give me the he is doing more than Kelly...i could care less. were bickering over a 5th reciever at the moment. I'll say it again, people need to tone down their expectations for him until he can get consistent practice time. Just listen to Zorn- "MK is not ready" "he does not have a grasp on the routes he needs to run". Many other quotes like that. The reason he is behind is lack of practice. This swollen knee will not keep him out of practice. He may not even be active next game, but expect him to show up on the scene later this year. A rookies career is not made or broken 5 weeks into the season.

Thank you!!!

And people cut it out with PUP list **** for the last time i hear every time, learn your facts before you post.

we couldn't PUP him cause he was cleared to practice with us. And there's probably some kind of a requirement for injured reserve as well, like doctors saying that he's going to be out a certain number of games or something. I doubt we can just put players on IR cause their knee swells up.

http://www.thejetsblog.com/2008/07/21/physically-unable-to-perform-list-defined/

Here's a link:

The Physcially Unable to Perform (PUP) list allow teams to designate players as such. Once they are designated, they are prohibited from practicing with the rest of the team. The player can, however, rehabilitate and participate in team meetings. If a player begins training camp on the PUP list, they can be moved to the active roster at any time, even after one practice. A player is not allowed to be placed on the PUP list if they start training camp on the active roster.

A player who begins the season on the PUP list must sit out his team’s first six games. After that point, the player is allowed to practice with the team through Week 10 of the NFL season, and can be activated any time within that window. If the player is not activated by Week 10, he must stop practicing and is unavailable to be moved to the active roster for the remainder of the season.

Maybe it's time to shut down the Malcolm Kelly Experiment for the season. Put him on IR, and bring in someone who can help the team this year.

It almost seems that may not be a bad idea......we got a few WRs on the PS

Devin Aromashodu

Horace Gant

might as well give them a shot if Kelly a) isn't healthy B) isn't ready for gameday c) large combo of both

We gambled on Colt and we won, he recovered fully from his hip surgery.

We gambled on Malcolm and lost, his knee is still messed up. The difference is that we gambled a 2nd round pick on Kelly.

We lost????

5 weeks into his first season? we've lost???

his career is over and he should be cut immediately to make room for a trade for billy mcmullen.

This is not a "hindsight is 20/20" proposition. Many of us worried about just this issue. One question. How good would having Quentin Groves in place to back up and eventually replace M. Washington down the road look instead of a gimpy knees WR?

According to Zorn's comments during training camp, I was wrong about Kelly being a slow, no talent WR. Unfortunately, I was right about the risk issue with his knees. :(

IMO the Fred Davis is a good pick for several reasons.

1) He was arguably the best player available and was considered one of if not the best TEs in the draft

2) Chris Cooley is a pro-bowl TE and a key cog in the offense Fred Davis can learn how to be a pro-bowl TE by playing behind him AND IF Cooley were to get banged up the offense wouldn't take that huge of a drop off with the combo of Yoder and Davis

3) IF there are injuries to the WRs he could become an integral part of the receiving game

:2cents:

I don't get this TE depth logic at all.

Chris Cooley is 26 years old and has never missed a game.

Marcus Washington is 31 and has a history of injuries. Shawn Springs is 33 and has a history of injuries. Phillip Daniels is 35 and has a history of injuries. Cornelius Griffin is is 32 and has a history of injuries.

Meanwhile, Chris Samuels is 31, Pete Kendall is 35, Casey Rabach is 31, Randy Thomas is 32, Jon Jansen is 32.

But yet somehow, TE depth is more important....

That's like choosing to carry a spare rim instead of a spare tire in your car.

This is not a "hindsight is 20/20" proposition. Many of us worried about just this issue. One question. How good would having Quentin Groves in place to back up and eventually replace M. Washington down the road look instead of a gimpy knees WR?

According to Zorn's comments during training camp, I was wrong about Kelly being a slow, no talent WR. Unfortunately, I was right about the risk issue with his knees. :(

Quentin Groves is suited to play LB in a 3-4 Defense. Seeing as we don't run that, it would be no good.

So far you are right about the knee, but as Zorn said its "minor swelling". i refuse to give up on a player after 5 weeks.

I don't get this TE depth logic at all.

Chris Cooley is 26 years old and has never missed a game.

Marcus Washington is 31 and has a history of injuries. Shawn Springs is 33 and has a history of injuries. Phillip Daniels is 35 and has a history of injuries. Cornelius Griffin is is 32 and has a history of injuries.

Meanwhile, Chris Samuels is 31, Pete Kendall is 35, Casey Rabach is 31, Randy Thomas is 32, Jon Jansen is 32.

But yet somehow, TE depth is more important....

That's like choosing to carry a spare rim instead of a spare tire in your car.

But Yoder is 31 and Sellers is 33. He wasn't drafted to replace Cooley, he was drafted to work besides him.

But Yoder is 31 and Sellers is 33. He wasn't drafted to replace Cooley, he was drafted to work besides him.

That still doesn't make sense.

We need depth at a position that will see the field 20% of the time over a position that will see the field 100% of the time?

That still doesn't make sense.

We need depth at a position that will see the field 20% of the time over a position that will see the field 100% of the time?

says who? If he sees the field as much as Yoder and Sellers do, then we will have made a good investment. If the 2 TE set becomes a staple of this offense, then will it be a wasted pick?

He may not fit into YOUR plans, but that doesn't mean he doesn't fit into Zorn's plans. Give the coach a chance to at least tell us what he has planned for the young guy before you call him a wasted pick.

says who? If he sees the field as much as Yoder and Sellers do, then we will have made a good investment. If the 2 TE set becomes a staple of this offense, then will it be a wasted pick?

He may not fit into YOUR plans, but that doesn't mean he doesn't fit into Zorn's plans. Give the coach a chance to at least tell us what he has planned for the young guy before you call him a wasted pick.

Uhhh, these aren't MY plans.

"If" the 2 TE set becomes a staple of this offense...

There is no "if" about the 4-3 being a staple of our defense. There is no "if" about having five offensive linemen.

Archived