Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DMN: His idol gone, safety Landry helping Redskins fill a major void

slinky

searched & didnt see this story posted.

His idol gone, safety Landry helping Redskins fill a major void

ASHBURN, Va. – Greatness awaited the Washington Redskins at the safety position.

The Redskins spent top-10 draft picks on All-America safeties Sean Taylor and LaRon Landry in a span of four Aprils, selecting Taylor fifth overall out of Miami in 2004 and Landry sixth overall out of LSU in 2007.

Taylor already had carved out his spot among the NFL's elite, earning a Pro Bowl berth in 2006, and the Redskins expected Landry to join him in Hawaii soon. Landry started alongside Taylor on opening day in 2007.

"There was a lot of hype when I got here," Landry said, "and we bought in. We knew we could be the best ever – and we were looking forward to it. It was up to us. We were so much on the same page and so much the same type of player that we could have done anything. Anything." But the dream tandem lasted only nine weeks. Taylor suffered a sprained knee in the ninth game of the season against Philadelphia that knocked him from the lineup. Less than three weeks later, Taylor was fatally shot in Miami in a home invasion.

Landry is now teamed with Reed Doughty – a safety pairing the Cowboys will see Sunday when the Redskins visit Texas Stadium. Fate deprived Landry of the chance to play with someone he idolized.

"I grew up with two role models – Ronnie Lott and Sean," Landry said. "I watched Ronnie as a kid.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/nfl/stories/092608dnspogosselin.15fbf29.html

"I want to be one of the top, elite safeties ever," he said. "That's all I want to do. I want them to be afraid to cross the middle. I want them to know that I can go sideline-to-sideline and make plays. Just like Sean."

:)

Beyond the tragedy of losing a young man in the prime of his life, it is painful for Redskins fans to ponder "What if?"... To have a mature Sean Taylor paired with Laron Landry in the same defensive backfield.

It is not hyperbole to speculate that they could have become the greatest safety tandem in the history of the NFL.

sigh.. what could have been
Beyond the tragedy of losing a young man in the prime of his life, it is painful for Redskins fans to ponder "What if?"... To have a mature Sean Taylor paired with Laron Landry in the same defensive backfield.

It is not hyperbole to speculate that they could have become the greatest safety tandem in the history of the NFL.

Ditto to both :(

as much as I miss Sean as a player, I miss him as a person.

his daughter, family (both blood and his extended redskins) were robbed. his friends from Miami, his teammates, everyone that looked up to him were all robbed.

To quote Ray Lewis: "Misunderstood. That's an understatement"

Archived