Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HS Football: Dunbar forfeits to Fort Hill Citing Racial Taunts (10-02 WP Update)

Major Harris

I appreciate your consistency, but "too" still implies that something there's no evidence of, actually happened.

I would say if EITHER school did this it was wrong. But I don't see evidence that either did.

That's not to say that I don't respect your experience with Dunbar and Coach Jeffries. I believe what you've said about them to be true. I'm sure they don't have a history of walking off the field for no reason. That's a well-respected program, and you don't earn respect by quitting.

Conversely, I've watched both Cumberland teams play teams from all areas of the state, WV, VA, and DC; teams of all backgrounds, both racial and societal -- from "elite class" Sidwell Friends, to the "hardest" inner city schools. And not once have I seen a game stopped over racist allegations.

The way I see it, our personal experiences cancel each other out. I think your experience with Dunbar is entitled to just as much respect as mine with Fort Hill. But as far as this game goes, there are some things that can unequivocally be proven, and some that haven't been to date. That may change. But as of yet, it hasn't.

Like some on this thread have said, its gonna be hard for them to find out who said what. Yeah you have had your experience with those programs and I have with Dunbar. I believe coach Jeffries though. When it comes to standing for whats right, he gonna do what he feels best. I've been behind the scenes with the guy and have had interactions with him. Its not his style. In the end everyone can believe what they wanna believe.

I'm just confused as to how there would ever be evidence to prove that this did happen.

You act as if anyone like the officials or coaches would have heard the players saying racist stuff if it occured in the pile or after a tackle or something of that nature. If you've ever played football you know all kinds of crap gets said in those piles that no official or coach can hear.

I'm just inclined to believe the Fort Hill kids are less likely to admit that they said some racist things than I am to believe the Dunbar kids would just make it up so they could walk off the field while having a lead in the game. A little common sense and it doesn't really add up.

If it IS true, then I commend the coach for getting his players off the field before something big happened that made national headlines and made Dunbar look bad - which probably would have happened if a riot or something occured.

If it IS true, then I commend the coach for getting his players off the field before something big happened that made national headlines and made Dunbar look bad - which probably would have happened if a riot or something occured.

really?

you commend him for quitting?

i don't. it's the wrong lesson, imo. the correct lesson is to rise above it and use your anger for positive motivation. that's the only lesson that prepares you for the real world.

really?

i don't. it's the wrong lesson, imo. the correct lesson is to rise above it and use your anger for positive motivation. that's the only lesson that prepares you for the real world.

Maybe so, in fact I can't agree with this.

Although, I think his decision was much better than the alternative. A 20/20 piece on Friday about race relations after a race-related brawl occurs at a high school football game.

Would make Dunbar look a lot worse than Fort Hill in that scenario - although some are arguing that's the case anyway.

really?

I get what you're saying. In general we should all rise above ignorance. That should be common sense. Its different IMO when confronted with it directly though. I know racism still exists today. I don't go around letting it consume me. I pray about it and keep it moving. But now when I'm confronted with it directly its a different story IMO. I honestly can't give you an honest answer if someone were to come at me directly with it how I'd react. In that situation with Dunbar and Fort Hill I can't say Dunbar was quitting if that situation is true. He did was best to me if its true.

Maybe so, in fact I can't agree with this.

Although, I think his decision was much better than the alternative. A 20/20 piece on Friday about race relations after a race-related brawl occurs at a high school football game.

Would make Dunbar look a lot worse than Fort Hill in that scenario - although some are arguing that's the case anyway.

i think it would make them both look bad. there are different people, just in this thread, that have views about who looks bad in this scenario. the scenario you describe would be no different.

Before you take your team off the field, as a minimum you stop the game, call over the officials and opposite coach (and law enforcement if necessary) and explain what your kids have told you is taking place.

Why didn't he do that? By not doing so he is implying that the Fort Hill coach and the officials are aware of racial insults taking place and not taking action.

I'll add as someone who has coached and umpired high school sports, the most important issue emphasized in the handbook and during pre-season briefings is player safety.

Coaches are strongly encouraged to talk with umpires about any behavior they see that could lead to injury, and likewise umpires talk to coaches and players, so that action is taken before incidents taking place.

Pre-emptively marching your team of the field before you have raised a concern prompts me to believe that this was not about race but more about his stated belief before the game that the local umpires would cheat him.

What does the urinal have to do with anything again?

I think before I'd let any 50 hyped-up teenage football players from out of town in my restaurant, I'd like a $5000 damage deposit.:)

Five teenage boys together is a riot on the verge of breaking out. Put fifty of them in a confined space before they play football and I'd expect 'Lord of the Flies' or worse. :)

Like some on this thread have said, its gonna be hard for them to find out who said what. Yeah you have had your experience with those programs and I have with Dunbar. I believe coach Jeffries though. When it comes to standing for whats right, he gonna do what he feels best. I've been behind the scenes with the guy and have had interactions with him. Its not his style. In the end everyone can believe what they wanna believe.

My bad. Your opinion trumps mine, I guess. :cheers:

I tried.

My bad. Your opinion trumps mine, I guess. :cheers:

I tried.

I enjoy reading your posts in any thread not related to race.

However, once you hit a race thread you automatically become the most defensive person on the forum.

In no way was the paragraph you quoted a slight to your opinion but you somehow took offense anyway . . . I don't get it.

I enjoy reading your posts in any thread not related to race.

However, once you hit a race thread you automatically become the most defensive person on the forum.

In no way was the paragraph you quoted a slight to your opinion but you somehow took offense anyway . . . I don't get it.

Maybe because I most before that was largely conciliatory?

I admitted that our opinions were just our opinions, and that neither trumps the other. But where evidence is concerned, it confirms what Dunbar did, but not what Fort Hill did.

Apparently he believes his opinion is worth more than mine. And that's fine. (I won't speculate as to why.) But don't tell me I'm not dealing with this honestly. That couldn't be further from the truth.

you are pretty good at saying people are defensive JMU.

You ever notice that you try to point out people's shortcomings when they dont agree or do what you like?

no need to get defensive, it is an honest question. ;)

My statement about you being defensive is a common one that people on this forum seem to make. I already apologized for it.

The statement about H_H being overly sensitive about race and racism in general is (IMHO) a legit statement and I stand by it.

It has nothing to do with my agreement/disagreement or him not doing what I "like". As I stated, I enjoy 99% of his posts and find them thought provoking and it's just in this particular context that I have noticed a trend. I have seriously read the paragraph he quoted 3 times and can't figure out where he thought the guy was slighting his opinion.

No offense taken though.

:cheers:

Since you're the judge of what's fair and what's not, JMU ;););) maybe you could find where I said anything of this sort in the Liberal-self-fulfilling prophecy thread, as Hooper claimed.

Oh, I get it. Blacks aren't real Christians now.

:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

Sorry, just because I hold unpopular positions, like OH, innocent until PROVEN guilty, I haven't earned bull**** like this. But I still get it. In each and every race thread. And yes, it gets a little old, and sometimes I react to it.

Also, not knowing my life experience, it's not fair to judge whether I'm "overreacting" or not. I've been denied promotions, outright jobs, been sued twice, and had to file a countersuit for defamation, all based on race.

Every white person isn't a privileged silver-spooner.

Archived