Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HS Football: Dunbar forfeits to Fort Hill Citing Racial Taunts (10-02 WP Update)

Major Harris

Nevermind.

Your mind's made up. And that's fine.

:cheers:

I've always left open the possibility that anythings possible. I think in reality your mind is more made up than mine. If you read my earlier remarks I've always said anythings possible. I can't see where you've read something I just wrote that says my mind is 100% made up. I told you what I believe yeah. I believe Coach Jefferies. Me believing him doesn't mean all this is true though. Just like you believe Fort Hill and thats it.

true.

the easy way out is to just cancel games, which pretty much is an assumption of guilt.

It could be taken that way or it could mean McKinley officials are acting accordingly to something that could be potientially true. If Tech did take the game and a out break did occur, then the parents and other officials would say why would you go down there knowing that an investigation is pending. If adults want to prove a point by standing for something thats cool but when you're responsible for other kids thats different. :2cents:

It could be taken that way or it could mean McKinley officials are acting accordingly to something that could be potientially true. If Tech did take the game and a out break did occur, then the parents and other officials would say why would you go down there knowing that an investigation is pending. If adults want to prove a point by standing for something thats cool but when you're responsible for other kids thats different. :2cents:

From what I'm told, McKinley officials had no say in this. The coaching staff and players wanted to play the game as scheduled, it was the leagues decision to forbid them from playing the game.

As for investigating the claims, have all the players who said there were or were not racial slurs being used make written statements. Then use a little thing called forensic statement analysis. It's not 100%, nothing is, but it can give you a good idea of who's lying and who's telling the truth. Anyone familiar with "interview and interrogation techniques" can pretty well vouch for its effectiveness.

From what I'm told, McKinley officials had no say in this. The coaching staff and players wanted to play the game as scheduled, it was the leagues decision to forbid them from playing the game.

As for investigating the claims, have all the players who said there were or were not racial slurs being used make written statements. Then use a little thing called forensic statement analysis. It's not 100%, nothing is, but it can give you a good idea of who's lying and who's telling the truth. Anyone familiar with "interview and interrogation techniques" can pretty well vouch for its effectiveness.

Whatever it takes. I've talked to a few folks that I know and some of the things that I've heard sounds true. Doesn't mean they couldn't be lying. Just talking to them now I really believe it.

I do not doubt this story for one second. When I went to frostburg state.. i had to go to the Cumberland area walmart to get things for the apartment. I remember it like it was yesterday. Now mind you I am white. For whatever reason some inbreds in Cumberland felt the need to call me racial slurs and yes it included the "N" word for wearing baggy sweat pants (which has no association to being black or white, they were comfortable and i just got done with football practice). Of coarse they are only brave in groups of 8... but trash like that embarrases not just white people... but all people. Everytime I was in Cumberland I felt as if I lost IQ points.

I do not doubt this story for one second. When I went to frostburg state.. i had to go to the Cumberland area walmart to get things for the apartment. I remember it like it was yesterday. Now mind you I am white. For whatever reason some inbreds in Cumberland felt the need to call me racial slurs and yes it included the "N" word for wearing baggy sweat pants (which has no association to being black or white, they were comfortable and i just got done with football practice). Of coarse they are only brave in groups of 8... but trash like that embarrases not just white people... but all people. Everytime I was in Cumberland I felt as if I lost IQ points.

our hs soccer team had a bad experience up there my junior year.

I don't know who's telling the truth, and I wouldn't be surprised on either result, but I have to say that the Fort Hill principal sounds like a jackass. He brings up the Ponderosa incident, and acts like he's not trying to say anything bad about the Dunbar football team.

Basically "Oh, I'm sure they're good kids, but they do destroy restaurant bathrooms."

"Maybe they were just frustrated by how awesome we are? I mean, we were just embarrassing them out there." (Not real quotes, but my paraphrasing)

• 3 weeks later...

I was searching the internet for any updates regarding the Fort Hill, Dunbar situation and came upon this thread. I am a graduate from Fort Hill and have been very disturbed by the bad media, especially the Washington Post, coverage of this situation. I have read numerous articles, watched the video, talked to people that were present at the game and truly feel that Fort Hill and the Cumberland area have been horribly misrepresented. I have read numerous messages on this board some defending Fort Hill, some defending Dunbar. A lot of people say that Dunbar has never done anything like this before, but the Fort Hill football team has never been accused of anything like this before either. In fact a few coaches that have played us have come to our defense. Here's a letter one of them wrote to the local newspaper.

http://www.times-news.com/archivesearch/local_story_267095222.html

I think it's fairly obvious that Coach Jeffries came to Cumberland expecting things to happen. He was aware of the recent but PAST problem, singular not problems, Fort Hill had with a FEW students (all of whom were suspended) and the Confederate flag, he had said that people warned him not to go there because he wouldn't get a fair game. He questioned the officiating crew, requested a split crew which they said he could have, but he then said he'd give that one a chance. He scored early twice then Fort Hill started to control things. It was obvious the team and coach were getting frustrated. They were racking up the UNSPORTSMEN like penalties. Fort Hill was about to score thanks partially to the UNSPORTSMEN like penalties. If you watch the video, all Fort Hill home games are video taped and later played on a local channel, it's obvious the team and the coach were self destructing. Then the coach comes on the field to argue a late hit one of his players gave a Fort Hill player and he's disrespectful and curses at the official. Because of HIS actions, not racism, he's flagged then he pulls the boys of the field. Now it's said he pulled them off to prevent violence; however while exiting the field the Dunbar players were taunting and antagonizing the fans. Not something you'd expect from people that feared violence. "Dunbar left the field, with its players seemingly taunting the crowd and opposing players at Greenway Avenue Stadium. "

Here's the article and I'm sure you could Google many more.

http://your4state.com/content/fulltext/?cid=32801

I think instead of being excited about coming to Cumberland to play at Greenway Ave Stadium, which I believe is still the largest high school stadium in MD, and playing another great team and having a competitive game he was thinking of the negative things that he had heard. I feel sorry for the Fort Hill community and for Cumberland as a whole. It's just sad that they have been so badly slandered and all the great people that live there are now marked as redneck racists. My hope is that Coach Jeffries loses his job for this and that the Cumberland area is shown as the great small town that it is.

this still going on?

Yes it is.

Last week, Fort Hill defeated ALL-AFRICAN-AMERICAN Frederick Douglass High School, in Cumberland, in a hard-fought 14-12 game. Not surprisingly to some of us, despite the obvious racial differences, and the tense nature of close games, there were NO issues.

I wonder what the missing element was? :)

Waiting to see what actually happened:

I believe the visiting coach set this up because he was losing:

http://www.times-news.com/archivesea...267095222.html

If the video shows a different game than the coach..

Now your cousins friend going to a Walmart... :) who could dispute that.

My ex-wifes Grandmother lived in Cumberland: I went up there 75x at least to visit over weekends and to fix the garden/grass/etc. Been to every store.. never a problem.

Though the poor area is run down.. it looks awful where Great Grandma lived.

fort hill throttled our high school team 2 weeks ago. i asked the kids (who i coached as freshman) they said there wasn't even any trash talk from fort hill, much less racial taunts.

That's good to hear, Maj. (Not the throttling, the non-trash talking part.)

Based on your grammar and spelling, I'm guessing you must have written this post after visiting Cumberland 6 or 7 times:D.

Archived