Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HS Football: Dunbar forfeits to Fort Hill Citing Racial Taunts (10-02 WP Update)

Major Harris

Since you're the judge of what's fair and what's not, JMU ;););) maybe you could find where I said anything of this sort in the Liberal-self-fulfilling prophecy thread, as Hooper claimed.

Sorry, just because I hold unpopular positions, like OH, innocent until PROVEN guilty, I haven't earned bull**** like this. But I still get it. In each and every race thread. And yes, it gets a little old, and sometimes I react to it.

Also, not knowing my life experience, it's not fair to judge whether I'm "overreacting" or not. I've been denied promotions, outright jobs, been sued twice, and had to file a countersuit for defamation, all based on race.

Every white person isn't a privileged silver-spooner.

My post was in direct reference to the paragraph that you posted - which in no way tried to trump your opinion in anyway. That's why I thought you were being oversensitive and I stand by the statement.

I don't know Hooper or what his history of posting is so I can't even comment on the context or what would cause him to say such a thing. I'm sure your history with race is different than most and I respect you can still engage in civil conversation about it if you have had such a difficult time with race relations. I am unsure how you obtain evidence that promotions or jobs are denied based on race but if that's true it's very unfortunate. I can only bring my own experiences to the race threads and these experiences give me the viewpoint that I wouldn't be surprised if Dunbar had a legit beef - although you are correct in the "evidence" claim.

Is it normal for him to march into the middle of the field after a couple of reasonable USC penalties throwing expletives at the refs?

Yeah he and a lot of coaches have cussed refs out over calls that they thought were questionable. Sometimes coaches do that. In his eyes maybe they were unreasonable. To you they were reasonable. :2cents:

when you have the opinion that you're in for a hose job several months before the game, it's quite possible your mindset going in wasn't what it should be, and you act accordingly.

You don't think coaches coming into games might have ill feelings as far as the refs sometimes? All of them at one time or another have if they've coached long enough.

I think you're exaggerating if you think Coach Jefferies was sitting around thinking about the Fort Hill game months ago. Thinking man were gonna cheated if when we go play them. Out of all the games on their schedule Fort Hill stuck out. Cousin your're reaching.

You don't think coaches coming into games might have ill feelings as far as the refs sometimes? All of them at one time or another have if they've coached long enough.

I think you're exaggerating if you think Coach Jefferies was sitting around thinking about the Fort Hill game months ago. Thinking man were gonna cheated if when we go play them. Out of all the games on their schedule Fort Hill stuck out. Cousin your're reaching.

no, actually it was in one of the things i was reading about this incident.

coach jeffries openly stated that he had heard he shouldn't bring his team to cumberland because the fix would be in. he requested a split officiating crew, which fort hill said it wouldn't be a problem. but the crew wasn't split, why i don't know.

i don't just make stuff up, cuz.

These accusations are completely unreasonable, I see an entire school being blamed by the media for possibly one or two football players actions. Doesn't seem fair in my book.

I agree with you that it's not fair the entire school/community is being blamed by some. We could argue over whether this happens all the time or not - which I think it does and it's not fair.

However, it is reasonable to call out the players that did do these things. (If that really happened, of course)

:cheers:

Watching the clips, it looked like the coach was just crying about the officiating.

I will note, that if the Dunbar coach was actually cussing at the refs when he walked in the middle of the field, then that's an automatic ejection. The fact that they didn't eject him, just gave him a penalty, gives the impression that they felt he had a legit beef.

These accusations are completely unreasonable, I see an entire school being blamed for possibly one or two football players actions. Doesn't seem fair in my book.

Like you, I don't if anyone said anything at all. If they did, I don't know how many of them did if they did. But lets say it was about 4 players that were doing this. Lets say there were about 4 people in the audience doing it. Often times thats all it takes to associate the Fort Hill program. I'm pretty sure if they could've gotten names and social Sec #'s they would've. I don't think Jefferies is saying eveyone at Fort Hill called us names. Man lets use common sense.

If you walked by a house and saw several people sitting on the porch. It may be 10 people sitting up there. Lets say 4 of them yell at you. You probably would say those people yelled at me. Now if someone comes back and say man all of them didn't yell at you. I mean come on man. :doh:

Yeah he and a lot of coaches have cussed refs out over calls that they thought were questionable. Sometimes coaches do that. In his eyes maybe they were unreasonable. To you they were reasonable. :2cents:

Whether or not you like the call doesn't justify using an expletive, which he did.

Game referee Robert M. Broadwater of the Potomac Valley Officials Board wrote in his report of the game that after Dunbar was penalized for a personal foul because of the late hit, Jefferies himself was called for an unsportsmanlike penalty. According to Broadwater’s report, “He had yelled at head linesman Biff Thompson and asked him ‘what (expletive) game’ he was watching.”

Broadwater’s report went on to state, “After this penalty was enforced, the head coach from Dunbar said he was warned not to come to Cumberland and that if it did not change, he would not subject his players to that and would take them off the field and go home. The players lined up and walked off the field.”

Even in a pre-game interview on a local radio station he said he expected "home cooking umpiring" but he didn't care as they were bring paid for the game. They guy needs to learn a little class and sportsmanship.

Links to the other incidents please?

There was an incident about a year ago with some ignorant kids driving around with Rebel flags in the backs of their trucks and doing some name calling in the school halls. The school banned the flag from the campus and the kids involved were suspended if I recall correctly.

I'm a FH grad (1994) and was at the game Friday night. I sat on the visitor side and heard nothing in the way of racial slurs or anything worse than BOO!!!. The Dunbar fans near where I was sitting were a credit to their school as they supported their team with a frenzy while being courteous to the home team fans as well.

Now I do believe it's possible such things were said, anything can happen, we all know that, but I can't believe for a moment that Coach Appel or the refs would have allowed such behavior to continue had they been aware of it.

Whether or not you like the call doesn't justify using an expletive, which he did.

Game referee Robert M. Broadwater of the Potomac Valley Officials Board wrote in his report of the game that after Dunbar was penalized for a personal foul because of the late hit, Jefferies himself was called for an unsportsmanlike penalty. According to Broadwater’s report, “He had yelled at head linesman Biff Thompson and asked him ‘what (expletive) game’ he was watching.”

Broadwater’s report went on to state, “After this penalty was enforced, the head coach from Dunbar said he was warned not to come to Cumberland and that if it did not change, he would not subject his players to that and would take them off the field and go home. The players lined up and walked off the field.”

Even in a pre-game interview on a local radio station he said he expected "home cooking umpiring" but he didn't care as they were bring paid for the game. They guy needs to learn a little class and sportsmanship.

Again I've seen him and a lot of coaches go off. Sometimes overboard. Does him objecting to call mean what happened didn't?

Now I do believe it's possible such things were said, anything can happen, we all know that, but I can't believe for a moment that Coach Appel or the refs would have allowed such behavior to continue had they been aware of it.

JMU,

I think this is a fair assesment, sure something could have been said, however don't you think the refs and the coach would have done something about it? Terpfan was there and he didn't hear anything about racial slurs being used, you know how High Schools are, rumors get out of control very quickly, someone would have heard something by now.

He and his players were getting hammered with personal fouls and aside from the first play of the opening drive, it sounds like they were getting their arses handed to them.

Never heard of anyone forfeiting with a lead . . . don't even know how someone could consider it.

If they were getting their arses handed to them it had yet to show on the scoreboard so something just doesn't seem right about assuming the coach was so frustrated with losing that he just quit.

I don't know - I could be wrong but that's my perspective.

Someone was about to take someone's facemask and break someone's neck. The right move was made.

It is always good to assume, now lets ask someone who was there.

Terpfan, was there a lot of pushing and shoving?

Was the tension level out of control when the penalties were being called?

JMU,

I think this is a fair assesment, sure something could have been said, however don't you think the refs and the coach would have done something about it? Terpfan was there and he didn't hear anything about racial slurs being used, you know how High Schools are, rumors get out of control very quickly, someone would have heard something by now.

You are correct - it is a valid argument - I'm just going by my experiences playing football in high school that a lot of **** gets said that noone knows about except a player or two that are involved. If this happened on a few occasions and involves racial tensions I could see how it could blow up.

I'm not saying Fort Hill should be villified or it should be assumed that they are racists - I'm just saying it still doesn't make sense to me that you forfeit with an 8 point lead, regardless of how things are looking on the field at the time - something just doesn't add up but you all may very well be correct.

Never heard of anyone forfeiting with a lead . . . don't even know how someone could consider it.

If they were getting their arses handed to them it had yet to show on the scoreboard so something just doesn't seem right about assuming the coach was so frustrated with losing that he just quit.

I don't know - I could be wrong but that's my perspective.

He was getting warned abotu stepping on the field, don't you think he would have said "there is no way I am going to let my players continue with this game, they are using racial slurs out there"?

From the sounds of it he got one personal foul for stepping on the field and he was about to get a second.

Archived