Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HS Football: Dunbar forfeits to Fort Hill Citing Racial Taunts (10-02 WP Update)

Major Harris

Regardless, it is irresponsible of him to make such a statement without any proof. Teenage Kids respond irrationally to stupid crap like this, if there is proof, fine go ahead and say it, however if you don't have proof, keep your mouth shut. It is unfair to every single person on that football team and every kid that goes to school for them to get this type of publicity without fact or proof.

Well I stand by my statements in that I've never known him to be a person to just make racial claims to get out of a game. In this case especially a game that they were winning.

Not sure how this one would be proven either way H_H. It's going to be one persons word against another persons regardless.

Plus, I highly doubt any cameras would have caught anything if it did happen and there's no guarantee stuff was going on where a ref would have definitely heard it. I find it hard to believe that this was a complete fabrication but I don't think we'll ever really know. I think it's just as stupid to dismiss the accusation because of some "investigation" as it is to say with 100% certainty that something racial did happen. I think it's just one of those things that just needs to go away because noone is ever going to know for sure.

OK, so screw it.

From now on, if our gut says someone's guilty, they're guilty. I miss the days of having to PROVE someone did something wrong. I fear we'll never get back there.

Regardless, best case, this coach taught his kids that if someone calls you a name, you quit and run away. Worst case, somebody said something incredibly ignorant.

OK, so screw it.

From now on, if our gut says someone's guilty, they're guilty. I miss the days of having to PROVE someone did something wrong. I fear we'll never get back there.

Regardless, best case, this coach taught his kids that if someone calls you a name, you quit and run away. Worst case, somebody said something incredibly ignorant.

I believe the worst case is nothing racial was said but these kids and school will now be branded for life.

OK, so screw it.

How about this guy took his kids off the field because he thought it was about to boil over. In his mind this thing could've gotten ugly and he did what he thought was best. Now if Dunbar kids go out there and act off emotion then the papers would've had a field day with it.

Well, they've had a bit of a reputation coming into the game. At least that's what is implied in the WP story.

That's a whole other can of worms that may be nothing more then he said she said like this incident is.

It goes to prove that you better have proof before you go accusing people of such things as racisim. It's nothing to joke about and in the end if there really was a misunderstanding the only person that walks away clean is the accuser the accused is branded a racist for life.

That's a whole other can of worms that may be nothing more then he said she said like this incident is.

It goes to prove that you better have proof before you go accusing people of such things as racisim. It's nothing to joke about and in the end if there really was a misunderstanding the only person that walks away clean is the accuser the accused is branded a racist for life.

Yeah the accuser just like the accused looks guilty if they've had any history of ever doing it.

Interesting story. I think I'm inclined to believe that if these racial slurs truly were as bad and as prevalent as the coach claims, there would be some witnesses...whether they be other fans, officials, anyone.

Regardless, I don't think you quit a game because of this. That being said, I am white and have never walked in a black person's shoes so I don't know how I would react to being called those types of racial slurs. What I do know is that I have been heckled and called names in some softball games in college. Because I was the first baseman, I was closest to the crowd and in a few tournaments was called outrageous names, etc...to try to distract me or piss me off to make mistakes. It was so bad the ump actually said something to the hecklers. Thing is, I don't think you quit your play because of that crap. In fact, it inspired me to play harder just to shut these jackasses up. So I guess my whole point is that I don't think anyone should pull out of a game or quit b/c of something like this. That's just my opinion though.

OK, so screw it.

If there were racial words exchanged I think the concern is allowing it to continue would have resulted in violence. I don't think a coach can watch his team start to come undone and not take some sort of action. Personally I think the action he decided on wasn't the best course but I wasn't there and I don't know his players. If they were on the verge of a bench clearing brawl I can see pulling them off the field and leaving. Better that then end up getting sued by agnry parents.

The question is did this actually happen or not. Declaring that it didn't happen based on the "investigation" mentioned early in the thread is stupid. You don't ask the accused "did you do it" and declare them innocent because they said no. If there are two sides one claiming yes one claiming no you need a third party or other evidence to support either conclusion - and you can always come up against something that can't be proven convincingly either way.

The worst case scenerio here is if nothing was said that these kids will be branded as racists for no reason. That's horrible and frankly if that turns out to be the case the caoch making the allegations should be fired and face some legal action.

How about this guy took his kids off the field because he thought it was about to boil over. In his mind this thing could've gotten ugly and he did what he thought was best. Now if Dunbar kids go out there and act off emotion then the papers would've had a field day with it.

But that is what makes these situations such great learning experiences. Regardless of why the tensions were high you need to show these kids how to persever through adversity. If you walked away everytime adversity arose you'd never learn to overcome it. A good coach should have control of his players. Football like all sports is a game of discipline. Instead of showing perseverence and discipline the Dunbar coach showed his team that it's best to walk away.

Doesn't it seem to you to add up that his beef was with the officials? Logically, what is the first place you go when you are coaching and something out the game context is happening? The officials. He bypassed them completely and left the field.

He NEVER mentioned any problems with the officials after the game, only the other team. So why did he not take it up with them? Obviously, this is where his lie unravels. His REAL problem was with the officials. No self respecting coach is going to whine about officiating, so he bails on a fake reason, knowing that Flint Hills reputation will be enough to defend him.

OK, so screw it.

Kind of like OJ Simpson?

sorry. :silly:

Agree with you here.

The problem I see with this situation is this (from the previously posted WashPost article)

Another D.C. public high school football team, McKinley, is scheduled to play at Fort Hill on Oct. 3, but McKinley Coach Cornell Simms said yesterday that his school is weighing whether it should opt out.

Simms said the two schools signed a one-game contract three weeks ago, after Appel noticed the two schools shared an open date. Simms said the contract calls for McKinley to be paid $3,000 for the game but that it has no-penalty clause if McKinley does not show up.

"We have to look at the ramifications of what transpired there," McKinley Athletic Director Wanda Oliver-McKenzie said. "We certainly will not knowingly put our students in danger. We will make a decision, but only after all the facts are reviewed and consequences weighed."

The school is already being viewed as guilty. This is wrong.

The problem I see with this situation is this (from the previously posted WashPost article)

The school is already being viewed as guilty. This is wrong.

How are they being viewed as guilty, if they're collecting facts. They're taking a wait and see approach. Thats McKinely's responsibilty to their kids. Hell I wouldn't just blindly send my kid down there to play without knowing the facts.

that's a statement that's pretty far from truth.

You are right. I should have said that "a lot" of people on here were acting like they knew exactly what happened after making all sorts of assumptions. Not everyone, just a lot of people.

And a lot of people were acting like one side or the other had to be lying - no chance that both sides genuinely thought they were correct.

You are right. I should have said that "a lot" of people on here were acting like they knew exactly what happened after making all sorts of assumptions. Not everyone, just a lot of people.

And a lot of people were acting like one side or the other had to be lying - no chance that both sides genuinely thought they were correct.

the n word is pretty distinct though, don't you think?

what words sound like it? i don't know.

go figure.

Both sides can not possibly be correct in this situation. One side accused the other side of using racial slurs. Either they used them or they didn't.

Interesting story. I think I'm inclined to believe that if these racial slurs truly were as bad and as prevalent as the coach claims, there would be some witnesses...whether they be other fans, officials, anyone.

Regardless, I don't think you quit a game because of this. That being said, I am white and have never walked in a black person's shoes so I don't know how I would react to being called those types of racial slurs. What I do know is that I have been heckled and called names in some softball games in college. Because I was the first baseman, I was closest to the crowd and in a few tournaments was called outrageous names, etc...to try to distract me or piss me off to make mistakes. It was so bad the ump actually said something to the hecklers. Thing is, I don't think you quit your play because of that crap. In fact, it inspired me to play harder just to shut these jackasses up. So I guess my whole point is that I don't think anyone should pull out of a game or quit b/c of something like this. That's just my opinion though.

You know, I posted something similar to that earlier in the thread. But if things were indeed as hot as the Dunbar Coach claimed, I think it was a smart move on his part to pull his team. If he allows things to escalate, then both teams are all over the media and he gets fired for not taking action.

Archived