Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HS Football: Dunbar forfeits to Fort Hill Citing Racial Taunts (10-02 WP Update)

Major Harris

A drive with two random penalties. I'll give you the first 15 yarder for the helmet (if it landed in the field of play), but the second and third were questionable. This is why I would be really interested in seeing this game. As for those refuting what that there were no racial slur being tossed around, simply because there were no accounts in the city news paper are just plain silly. Do you really expect them to come out and say, "yeah, we called him a n***** a few times to get em riled up. It was part of our gameplan. Kinda like a blackout....cept it was a whiteout."

But you expect US to believe the Dunbar player's account, which is COMPLETELY unsubstantiated. At least we saw the actions that resulted in the penalties?

Hypocritical much? Interesting that you believe one guy WITHOUT support, but question the position that has visual evidence.

it is sad. but it's hard to believe that no ref, official, admin., no one but this coach, can witness to it.

google fort hill / dunbar....i found a message board with a lot of eyewitness accounts.

this coach flat out stated that he felt they'd get cheated in cumberland MONTHS before the game. i think he had the wrong mindset going in.

as a football coach that has always had a good number of black kids on my team, if we're going somewhere that they may hear that, i give them a heads up, tell them they need to rise above it, beat their ass on the field, and let me know when they do hear it. i'd never quit. that's just wrong.

I agree with you there. Maybe the coach was worried about the safety of the players (on both teams) and the fans and decided that hey it is better to get out of here safely with a loss than winning and having a major (no pun intended) fight break out. Tough call. I know I wouldn't want to be in the coaches shoes.

But you expect US to believe the Dunbar player's account, which is COMPLETELY unsubstantiated. At least we saw the actions that resulted in the penalties?

Hypocritical much? Interesting that you believe one guy WITHOUT support, but question the position that has visual evidence.

because thats not something that you just make up for the most part

The TRUTH lies some where in between.

There's only one problem with the "unsubstantiated" part of the accusations. I doubt the refs or cameras would be able to pick up comments made between guys close together on the line or immediately after a tackle for example. In the NFL there are mics and cameras everywhere but in HS, they're probably doing good to have two cameras and enough uniforms to go around.

As I said, I wouldn't be surprised if the racial slurs were actually thrown out there (on either side) but there's absolutely no way to prove it one way or the other. Again, I'm dissappointed in the Dunbar coach for not using this incident as a tool to teach his kids how to compete in life. As my wrestling coach always taught me, "If you allow your opponent to make you angry, you're 80% beaten."

HH i didnt say anything about white people...from the article you have kids crying (probably out anger) and a coach that goes as far as having his team leave the field.

Why would they be making this up?

Could they be exaggerating it? Sure...

Does it matter if they are, I think it's obvious SOMETHING was said...and it wasnt right...

whats wrong with that?

There's only one problem with the "unsubstantiated" part of the accusations. I doubt the refs or cameras would be able to pick up comments made between guys close together on the line or immediately after a tackle for example. In the NFL there are mics and cameras everywhere but in HS, they're probably doing good to have two cameras and enough uniforms to go around.

As I said, I wouldn't be surprised if the racial slurs were actually thrown out there (on either side) but there's absolutely no way to prove it one way or the other. Again, I'm dissappointed in the Dunbar coach for not using this incident as a tool to teach his kids how to compete in life. As my wrestling coach always taught me, "If you allow your opponent to make you angry, you're 80% beaten."

Do you agree that if something was said on the field that the black players for Fort Hill would have heard something? The Fort Hill TE, who is black, is on record saying there were no racial slurs.

EDIT for those that passed over the article.

“The head coach from Dunbar told me the Fort Hill players were using the ‘N-word’ toward his players,” game referee Robert M. Broadwater of the Potomac Valley Officials Board wrote in his report of the game. “I told him we did not hear anything. Going back to the Fort Hill huddle, I told players that if there was any talking going on to knock it off. A player from Fort Hill (tight end Jordan Helmick, who is African-American) replied, ‘No sir, just playing football.’ ”

HH i didnt say anything about white people...from the article you have kids crying (probably out anger) and a coach that goes as far as having his team leave the field.

Does it matter if they are, I think it's obvious SOMETHING was said...and it wasnt right...

whats wrong with that?

It's not obvious at all. In fact, all the facts contradict what 1 coach said. It looks like the coach didnt like the officiating so he took his ball and went home like a *****.

whats wrong with that?

So the only reason these kids could get fired up is if they were having racial slurs yelled at them?

I was a kid once, I got fired up if you looked at me wrong, didn't even have to open your mouth. 99% of the time I got fired up it was because of my perception and not reality. That's what kids do.

Oh great. Here we go again with the poor downtrodden white man routine. :violin:

Video evidence, all of the investigations, and all of the stories support my position, Yusuf, sorry.

Post one iota of anything that supports the other side, and I'll gladly STFU.

(And I mean something besides, "they accused them, so it HAS to be true.")

My apologies for dealing in fact. :cheers:

A drive with two random penalties. I'll give you the first 15 yarder for the helmet (if it landed in the field of play), but the second and third were questionable. This is why I would be really interested in seeing this game. As for those refuting what that there were no racial slur being tossed around, simply because there were no accounts in the city news paper are just plain silly. Do you really expect them to come out and say, "yeah, we called him a n***** a few times to get em riled up. It was part of our gameplan. Kinda like a blackout....cept it was a whiteout."

bad calls happen. it doesn't make it racist.

but if a coach is on the field cursing refs, they get flagged just about 100 times out of 100.

as to your 2nd point, do you really believe that 11 players on the field, 5 or 6 coaches, and as many as six referees are all just lying?

Archived