Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who's better educated? Democrats or Republicans? (Poll)

MissU28

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Democrat/masters

I've read studies before that said folks with bachelors degrees are fairly evenly split between Dem and Republican. A substantial majority of people with advanced degrees are liberals. At the same time the other end of the spectrum is also tilted Dem in that people with no highschool education also vote Democrat.

Finishing my master's now and will be working on the PhD soon. While I value my education and know it is necessary to get where I want in life, I know that's not for a lot of people and I don't look down on them for that.

A couple of the smartest, most quick-witted, common sensical people I know don't have degrees higher than a high school diploma. And at the other end of the spectrum, a few of the biggest jerks with zero common sense that I know actually have MD's or law degrees. So in all reality, it's not the degree that makes the person intelligent, because good Lordie, I have a few morons in my classes right now who I have no idea how they've made it this far...IN LIFE.

Now before anyone brings up the disdain for celebrities that I've shown in other threads, it is in large part due to the fact that they don't live in a real world. They seriously have no grasp on reality, I mean SERIOUSLY. So yeah, uneducated plus no grasp on reality is a bad thing in my book...whereas normal, everyday people who might not have a high level of education but still have real life experience rank a lot higher in my view than a celeb.

Doesn't matter how educated you are, it matters what you do with it.

:applause:

Wife is an M.D. and Democrat, guess that makes her smarter than me (and she would also argue that M.D.>Ph.D.). But she married me, so how smart could she be? :silly:

Bachelor's of science here, Democrat- and she is not the primary breadwinner every year, so 'booyah' to SS's comment above. :cheers:

I believe the question was on education level, not success level. However, I agree that higher education doesn't always equal the highest success. I got a B.A. in History and I'll be getting my Masters in Education by May. I'll have a job with a salary of about $45,000 annually starting out.

I know some guys from college who are making $100,000 right now and another who is being considered for a $200,000 job. All were lazy bums who just barely managed to get a B.A. in anything.

Even if I got a PhD and worked at a university... I STILL wouldn't hit those numbers.

Thank God I actually love what I'm doing.

I believe the question was on education level, not success level. However, I agree that higher education doesn't always equal the highest success. I got a B.A. in History and I'll be getting my Masters in Education by May. I'll have a job with a salary of about $45,000 annually starting out.

I know some guys from college who are making $100,000 right now and another who is being considered for a $200,000 job. All were lazy bums who just barely managed to get a B.A. in anything.

Even if I got a PhD and worked at a university... I STILL wouldn't hit those numbers.

Thank God I actually love what I'm doing.

True success is if you love what youre doing, and your starting out salary makes for a lot of tips at the Diamond. :cheers: (BTW, Reic won a VIP pass for us next time we're there lol)

True success is if you love what youre doing, and your starting out salary makes for a lot of tips at the Diamond. :cheers: (BTW, Reic won a VIP pass for us next time we're there lol)

I think true success is not having to work, but working because you want to. When your assets grow to the point where they provide enough income to sustain you and allow you to pursue your own interests, you've succeeded. You have removed yourself from the "grind" and experience a degree of freedom others just can't match.

For example a person earning 50k a year in capital gains consistently and has the courage to "retire" at a very early age has more control of his life than a person making 200k in year working long hours.

This is just my opinion BTW, not saying your view of things is incorrect.

I think true success is not having to work, but working because you want to. When your assets grow to the point where they provide enough income to sustain you and allow you to pursue your own interests, you've succeeded. You have removed yourself from the "grind" and experience a degree of freedom others just can't match.

For example a person earning 50k a year in capital gains consistently and has the courage to "retire" at a very early age has more control of his life than a person making 200k in year working long hours.

This is just my opinion BTW, not saying your view of things is incorrect.

Good points, Des, maybe this should be its own thread.

Anywho, we all agree true success is hacking away on ES at 2am. :cool:

I got my GED in Ft Riley Kansas after joining the military.

then took night classes etc...

I'm currently studying my 1200 page CISSP book in a long line of others: IT doesn't slow down for the lazy.

I'd say being able to work my own hours and pick my kids up at school, allow them to play with their friends at the playground for an hour before going home. Going to the icecream social Friday night, and spending 5-6 hours a night with them is entirely more important than if i took social studies 21 years ago.

They so far seem to be doing quite well, which is what i'm looking at long term.

I answered but i dont see how this matters. I only have a high school degree, but i own half of a very successful company. It pisses me off when people with college education look down upon me cause i do not have one. Just cause you have a college degree does not mean you are better educated IMO.

Yep. I have a master's degree and my best friend, a business owner, didn't spend one day in college. He's the guy I go to when I'm looking for advise.

how does the quote go? - "if you're an 18 year old conservative, you have no heart. If you're a 40 year old liberal, you have no brain" :silly:

Ah, good old Winston Churchill. No wonder they named my old high school after him.

Where's the "I'm Libertarian and I have a Master's degree" choice?:mad:

Archived