Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ole' Santana...

Zarg

I think he did catch it. The ball never hit the ground. If Zorn would have challenged it wouldnt have mattered anyway because they would have just put the ball where Moss caught it at. Its not like they would have said possesion was attained after contact and the player would have scored a TD because he was not touched after gaining possesion so Washington is awarded 6pts. Plus it wasnt a challengeable call anyway.
Fortunately, I didn't tape the game. But I think I saw the ball on the ground between his legs. Somebody taped it and can clarify in slomo HD.

Dear God, did anyone watch that play at all. Moss had Ross beat after the first few steps. The ball was under thrown and to the inside. If the ball was thrown outside with more distance on it, maybe it would have have been completed. Please watch the play again, in fact, watch it a few times so you can actually see what happened.

Your on to something here, JC was pressured had to make a man miss then let it go. If there is no pressure thats a sure 6:applause:

Dear God, did anyone watch that play at all. Moss had Ross beat after the first few steps. The ball was under thrown and to the inside. If the ball was thrown outside with more distance on it, maybe it would have have been completed. Please watch the play again, in fact, watch it a few times so you can actually see what happened.

It looked to me like he slowed down before the ball even left Campbell's hand...

I dunno if it was...he seemed to have to speed up at the end of the play and Aaron Ross was running at more or less constant speed the whole time...

That's because Ross looked back to see what was going on. Santana, once again, figured the play was over and just let up. THEN he looked, then he said "Oh ****!" I better run! The only reason he looked was because Ross was still running.

This thread has taken a life of its own...but to the OP, you are wrong.

The ball was not thrown in stride. Moss had to slow down in order to make a play on the ball which was a bit under thrown. That allowed time for the corner to catch back up, and at that point it was a jump ball.

I saw that too and was furious. The guy clearly doesn't have the hiller instinct or the "never-quit" mentality for football. Inexcusable. He should have that ball everyday one-on-one and stopped running hard.

It does seem to me that HandsofBanana Santana is all about trying to be cool.

some of you need to look again..and read posts from people that were there. Moss slowed down BEFORE Campbell threw the ball. He probably thought JC was gonna get sacked. Moss slowed down Ross DID NOT. Hence why Ross has the position on Moss. JC should have thrown the ball alittle more to the outside, BUT if Moss doesn't slow down...he probably could have beaten Ross to the position and adjusted himself more to the inside, pushing Ross more inside away from the ball. I wish I could see a more side by side, but I wonder if JC did take some off the ball BECAUSE he saw Moss slow down, then misjudged his catch up speed.

Fortunately, I didn't tape the game. But I think I saw the ball on the ground between his legs. Somebody taped it and can clarify in slomo HD.

From the opposite angle slow-mo replays the ball never hit the ground. But at the end of the day it was irrelevant, as the play would not have gotten us a first down.

As for the OP... The ball was definetely not thrown well enough for a receiver in Moss' position to catch the ball uncontested. Even if Moss didn't slow down and get inside position the defender had ample time to catch up and break the pass up.

dont know if it was so much of santana slowin down as it was campbell taking too long to throw it.

This is what I thought it was. The timing is all wrong. When Santana made that "break" from the coverage...that ball should have been there to hit him in stride. It wasn't...so he ended up playing defense. I think he slowed b/c he was waiting for JC to throw it. My opinion only..no crucifixion here please:silly:

Ball was under thrown so that's why he slowed down...

No it wasn't. Notice in the replay Santana sped up once he saw the ball. He had to dive for it, so how was it underthrown??? He gave up on the play halfway through only to realize it was still alive and had to turn on the jets to even get close to making a play. Had he played through the entire play, that would have been a TD.

dont know if it was so much of santana slowin down as it was campbell taking too long to throw it.

Ding Ding Ding

Moss did his job. Campbell screwed up this play. Unless Moss is fast enough to kick Campbell in the arse to get him to throw the ball sooner, there is nothing else he could have done.

He had beaten the corner and Campbell was late with the throw. Had he hit Santana in stride it would have been a touchdown. You are supposed to run your route and look for the ball at certain point and if it is not in the air by then you don't simply keep running blindly down the field.

Gee, you people ever been to the Meadowlands? Any idea how windy it can get, ESPECIALLY around the end zone. It was a poorly thrown ball, and Moss adjusted to it. If he slowed down and then sped up a bit, it mght just be because there was so much air under the ball, and any wind might've moved it. In any case, these were adjustments he was making while the ball was in the air. The fault for that play lies squarely on Campbell for not leading his receiver when he had the CB beat.

This thread has taken a life of its own...but to the OP, you are wrong.

The ball was not thrown in stride. Moss had to slow down in order to make a play on the ball which was a bit under thrown. That allowed time for the corner to catch back up, and at that point it was a jump ball.

Here's the point, if Santana does not slow down and keeps going, it is easier for him to slowdown adjust to the ball in flight rather than speed up. If he doesn't slow down, and is still leading the defender by 5yds, he can then SLOW DOWN, adjust to the ball where ever it is thrown. If he doesn't make the catch there is a better possibility of getting a Pass Interference call by the defender burning his jets to catch up to Moss and having Moss slow down to adjust to the ball. How many times have we seen Smoot/Rogers get burnt... play catch up only to have the defender stop short to "adjust to the ball" and then the yellow hanky comes out after they plow over the receiver? We have all seen "other" WR's make adjustments, L Fitz is the one that does it best.

some of you need to look again..and read posts from people that were there. Moss slowed down BEFORE Campbell threw the ball. He probably thought JC was gonna get sacked. Moss slowed down Ross DID NOT. Hence why Ross has the position on Moss. JC should have thrown the ball alittle more to the outside, BUT if Moss doesn't slow down...he probably could have beaten Ross to the position and adjusted himself more to the inside, pushing Ross more inside away from the ball. I wish I could see a more side by side, but I wonder if JC did take some off the ball BECAUSE he saw Moss slow down, then misjudged his catch up speed.

:applause: Great point.

Yeah, I saw that when they showed the replay. Moss had a couple of yards on the defender, and slowed up because he didnt expect the ball. To add insult to injury, Moss still continues to drop passes.

And please dont bother with the whole "It wasnt Moss fault he slowed down" spiel. It looks pretty ridiculous to anyone that watched that play. Moss slowed down BEFORE he saw the ball. He slowed down because he was done with the play. I know hes our #1 receiver and people try and blindly defend him, but, come on...

No it wasn't. Notice in the replay Santana sped up once he saw the ball. He had to dive for it, so how was it underthrown??? He gave up on the play halfway through only to realize it was still alive and had to turn on the jets to even get close to making a play. Had he played through the entire play, that would have been a TD.

:applause: Another great point!:applause:

If he kept sprinting, would he have had to "DIVE" to make the play? He could have been camped out under the ball and have the defender be the only one who dives on that play...

How do you defend his ridiculous drops though?

Archived