Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Campbell presser: On the offense

SkinsAllDay34

I'm just throwing this out there, and maybe I'm completely wrong, but wouldn't basic offensive plays (vanilla, no trickery, no different looks, no motion, nothing different) be easier to defend? So wouldn't that explain why, when a team (Carolina) decides to use "different looks" (Coach Zorn's words) and play more towards their actual defense, they are much more effective than our offense is if we're still running basic stuff?

Like I said, maybe I'm way off, just throwing that out there.

I have all the confidence in JC and Zorn. I think they showed what they can do and will also learn from the mistakes made in preseason. Preseason is just that. I'm sure they have been preparing, studying, correcting, planning, and getting ready for the Giants and the regular season. I can't wait to get game 1 in the books. Win or lose, we can then make at least a fair assessment of where the team is REALLY at thus far. Still isn't a determinant of whats to come.

We (I) can not execute the base plays of this offense, but hey do not worry when we (I) run the real stuff we (I) can execute the hell out of that.

Boy o Boy I sure am feeling better now.

Thanks JC.

:cheers:

lmao ... I spilled my drink all over the computer screen reading your comments.For what it's worth I agree 100%.

CP/LB better be ready to run baby run this season.

If the pre-season doesn't matter.... then why did Jim Zorn and the offensive starters felt it necessary to get a few series in the Jaguars game to build some momentum?
:applause:Cha-ching. Good point.

If Campbell is saying these things soley for our benefit, just let me be the first to say...don't talk me to death Jason. Just go out there and do what you gotta do to win and show us that you were running vanilla plays.

But, if it makes you sleep better at night for having said this...then knock yourself out good brotha.:D

Well, dont discount the fact that in the jacksonville game campbell could have been 4/4 had his receivers held onto the ball. Ball hit thomas right in the numbers, and bounced off for the INT; cooley drop a sure fire first down, and another receiver dropped one, tht was low, but still catchable. had those plays been made, Campbell would have been 4/4 for some 30+ yards and no INT's. I'm not making excuses for anyone, but I'd say campbell only looked terrible vs. carolina, but then again, the whole team did.

Lets wait till after the first game to doom the team for the year.

He said it best today and I have mentioned this. With the offensive woes and struggles people are questioning the O. Jason said we arnt even running our real offense and its just base plays and not the true thing. Most people tend to say vanilla when describing it. Also he said it is hard to judge it on top of that because they only played for at most a quarter.

Just saying this because we have not seen the real WCO and I have a feeling it will look a lot better during the season when the games count.

Its up on www.redskins.com

If they are having difficulty executing VANILLA, how will it look with chocolate, strawberry, or caramel (Sorry, just had ice cream on my mind.). You guys know what I mean. Even with Vanilla, there still should have been execution. The defenses weren't doing anything special. There was no stunting going on. So, how can we expect different?

Come on! The term "Vanilla" is just an excuse for poor execution but that is to be expected in preseason. That is why I don't worry about those things in preseason because all those games are for is another try out for those wishing to make the team. What I hate is that our offense can't even execute simple plays that are the fundamental basis of the game of football. So why should we believe that they can run more complex plays? Well to answer that question I would have to say that the team is really only going through the motions in preseason. This is another year with another new offense that they are running so the basic plays in the offense are different than last year. Of course the running plays are the same but the pass plays are diiferent.

Now with all that said, the Redskins have done one of two things, They either are playing possum and are going to unleash a massive offensive explosion or they are going to struggle just like the preseason which means a Giant blowout and a long season. I tend to see us in the middle of that because I think that they will be effective and the game Thursday will be competive and close as always between these two NFC East rivals besides their defense is good but not as good without Strahan(retirement) and Osi (Out for the season due to injury). Lack of pass rush or a proven DE that can put the pressure on the QB spells a long night for a defense. Kiwanuka hasn't played as a DE in over 3 years and Tuck hasn't played a full season as a starter so don't give the Giants any edge in their front seven because they aren't proven with those guys like last year.

The Giants are going to have to score a lot of points to beat teams this year especially with two unproven DE's that haven't played a full season at those positions. The Redskins have a chance especially if we execute and keep it close because we will put pressure on Eli with Carter and Taylor. They both proved they can do that last year with their respected teams but now they are teammates and can play either side. That is a nightmare for OC's and QB's to plan or deal with because you don't know where they will be coming from. So don't think "Vanilla" means a bad offensive year.

Jesus Christ people..:doh:

Lets say the panthers game and the Jacksonville game was our first two games of the preseason, people would be pissed, angry about our performance, and of course, stupid, very, very stupid.

And after the supposed "2nd" game of the preseason against the Jags, we play the colts and play like we did, then have the bills game and the jets game after. People would be talking about how good we are on this board, and how JC is a elite Quarterback.

In reality we had 3 good games out of 2 horrible ones. But if you swapped when they occurred then we wouldn't be having these dumbass comments about how this is just for JC to sleep comfortably tonight or whatever.

Some of you need to open your mind....

seems like that's the favorite excuse players and fans use during preseason...vanilla offense...here's the problem i have, the plays they were running were base plays...base plays are simple plays, yet why couldn't the players execute these base plays...

Totaly agree!

Its no use having lots of great plays if you cant execute the simple ones. As an offense you've got to be able to push the pile for 2 yards running it up the gut even if the D is expecting it - that lost us games last year, and didn't look any better in pre-season. I can understand the whole vanilla offense thing in terms of passing - basic routes are easily covered, but the running game is just about driving their D back, and we didn't do that! A team that relies on clever plays and trickery ain't gonna win championships!

I'm just throwing this out there, and maybe I'm completely wrong, but wouldn't basic offensive plays (vanilla, no trickery, no different looks, no motion, nothing different) be easier to defend? So wouldn't that explain why, when a team (Carolina) decides to use "different looks" (Coach Zorn's words) and play more towards their actual defense, they are much more effective than our offense is if we're still running basic stuff? Like I said, maybe I'm way off, just throwing that out there.

You're not wrong at all and yes, "vanilla" is easier to defend. But, there were mental breakdowns in one-on-one match-ups. That's what everyone is gripping about and can't seem to get over!:laugh:

You know, we go through this every preseason. Do you guys actually think teams are running their offense in preseason? Give me a break. Teams do have scouts that sit in the stands, during preseason. Why give them something to talk about? Doesn't make any sense. And then the media gets in on it. "Well, the Skins looked pathetic the last 2 preseason games." So what!!!!! Looked good the first 3 games. And nobody said anything, including our fans. Relax!

Another thing. Why did the defense play nickel the entire preseason? Anybody notice that? Preseason folks. The coaches put players in positions that they wouldn't do in the regular season, just to see what they do. For example, Richardson was left on a island by himself, Thursday night. With no safety help, he got burned. During the preseason, the offenses rarely use motion from the WR's, before the snap. Relax people!

He said it best today and I have mentioned this. With the offensive woes and struggles people are questioning the O. Jason said we arnt even running our real offense and its just base plays and not the true thing. Most people tend to say vanilla when describing it. Also he said it is hard to judge it on top of that because they only played for at most a quarter.

Just saying this because we have not seen the real WCO and I have a feeling it will look a lot better during the season when the games count.

Its up on www.redskins.com

That just sounds like they can't even run and execute the most basic plays.

I knew someone was gonna say this. This probably wont make sense but we are probably more use to the actual plays that we are gonna run during the season. The offense did not practice the base plays alot probably, got only a couple reps and thats why it was so ineffective. Think about it, the actual playbook is already new, and they have to get used to that and for the preseason games we have to run just base plays that wont be run again probably. Thats the best way i can explain it.

Amazing.

No they were not. Which makes this even MORE unreliable/indicative. The only real thing you can gain from preseason is:

can the guy block one-on-one

can the guy tackle

can the guy catch (body catch or good hands)

the mental things are:

does he practice hard

does he focus

does he play through pain

Notice I never said the word offense. The preseason is basically a players tryout for their position on the depth chart. Not the offenses tryout for their position on your favorite Power Poll.

:logo:

nonsense. when a new offense is being installed it has to be tested on the field against real opponents. your dictum only stands for a veteran team well entrenched inside a system.

nonsense. when a new offense is being installed it has to be tested on the field against real opponents. your dictum only stands for a veteran team well entrenched inside a system.

Nonsense. How do you know it hasn't been tested? What did you see the first 2 games? The Skins had no problem moving the ball. How do you know they didn't shut it down after the 3rd preseason game? Is there a preseason Super Bowl I didn't know about!! If the Skins went 5-0, do they get a free dinner at Boston Market? It's preseason. The Colts have won 4 preseason games in the last 4 years, but they have the best regular season record during the same time. Oh yeah, a Super Bowl win. So, somebody better shoot Dungy a memo, and tell him how important preseason is.

Here's the thing. The offense may suck, but you can't tell FOR SURE from those 2 games.

Maybe this is what happened: They put Devin Thomas in the game and tell Cambpell to get him involved because they want to see how he does. Campbell drops back to pass and Thomas runs a bad route right into traffic. Campbell hesitates to throw because it wouldn't be prudent from a "win the game" approach (which has been drilled into him forever), but then he decides to throw it because he knows the coaches want to see what Thomas can do (a preseason approach).

To the casual viewer, it looks like Campbell:

1) Locks onto a receiver

2) Is hesitant to throw

3) Forces a ball to a receiver who's covered

4) Has trouble executing a simple play

Now that's a simple example of what might have happened on the interception and it's an example of the difference between preseason and regular season. Now consider that these types of things happen all the time in preseason and you can see why you can't tell anything at this point. Pre-season is NOT REAL FOOTBALL!

I think the reason everyone is so nervous is because as Redskins fans, we've seen it before - the horrible preseason foreshadowing future ineptitude. I'm not saying I think the offense will be great, I'm just saying we don't know based on what we've seen. I THINK they'll be a lot smoother come Thursday night.

Archived