Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Campbell presser: On the offense

SkinsAllDay34

Here's the thing. The offense may suck, but you can't tell FOR SURE from those 2 games.

Maybe this is what happened: They put Devin Thomas in the game and tell Cambpell to get him involved because they want to see how he does. Campbell drops back to pass and Thomas runs a bad route right into traffic. Campbell hesitates to throw because it wouldn't be prudent from a "win the game" approach (which has been drilled into him forever), but then he decides to throw it because he knows the coaches want to see what Thomas can do (a preseason approach).

To the casual viewer, it looks like Campbell:

1) Locks onto a receiver

2) Is hesitant to throw

3) Forces a ball to a receiver who's covered

4) Has trouble executing a simple play

Now that's a simple example of what might have happened on the interception and it's an example of the difference between preseason and regular season. Now consider that these types of things happen all the time in preseason and you can see why you can't tell anything at this point. Pre-season is NOT REAL FOOTBALL!

I think the reason everyone is so nervous is because as Redskins fans, we've seen it before - the horrible preseason foreshadowing future ineptitude. I'm not saying I think the offense will be great, I'm just saying we don't know based on what we've seen. I THINK they'll be a lot smoother come Thursday night.

Thats an interesting analysis of the situation...

nonsense. when a new offense is being installed it has to be tested on the field against real opponents. your dictum only stands for a veteran team well entrenched inside a system.

I disagree completely. Why would we show off all our stuff in the preseason, giving the Giants ample video to prep for us? There's a reason we have practice. There's also an ability to see how our offense does against our defense - against real opponents. Which do you think is more real - practice or preseason? The fact that we use practice all through the season kinda leads me to believe that it does a good job of getting teams ready to play one another. So I think we can get ready for the Giants withuot showing off our offense in the preseason.

For all of you complaining about not being able to execute basic plays- stop. The reason they don't work well against an NFL defense is because they are EASY to defend. We didn't use many motions, shotgun formations, or basically anything we would run in a real game.

Stop complaining and freaking out over preseason games that our starters don't play in or care about.

For all of you complaining about not being able to execute basic plays- stop. The reason they don't work well against an NFL defense is because they are EASY to defend. We didn't use many motions, shotgun formations, or basically anything we would run in a real game.

Stop complaining and freaking out over preseason games that our starters don't play in or care about.

but but but but...that means we can't bash this offense! waaaaaaah

Or maybe they're running the basic plays more to test the younger players and to get the older players into "game shape", so we may be running the "basic plays" just to get the reps in.

Well, maybe but that is a stretch. The O is non-functional with the starters. It runs better with the 3rd / 4th team out there.

They looked great against the Colts - 1 series

They looked ok against the Bills - 1/2 series

They looked less than mediocre against the Jets - 1/2 series

They looked like garbage against the Panthers - full half and even some of 3rd Q for some first teamers.

The looked like garbage against the Jags - several series spanning 1st and 2nd Q.

Well, maybe but that is a stretch. The O is non-functional with the starters. It runs better with the 3rd / 4th team out there.

They looked like garbage against the Panthers - full half and even some of 3rd Q for some first teamers.

The looked like garbage against the Jags - several series spanning 1st and 2nd Q.

I don't see how it is.

You just said it...the starters looked decent. But the backups looked better (have more highlights) because its scrubs against scrubs....its a lot easier to look good against scrubs than it is to look good against first stringers. But the end result means little. Its more of a question of how can these younger guys understand the plays, execute plays, and recognize the mistakes of the other team?

I don't see how it is.

You can honestly say with a straight face that not being able to execute basic WCO plays with the first team is no problemo?

Are you buying into the poor excuses JC was spinning on his interview?

If they cannot execute basic plays for a full half of football, do you believe we are not in for more of the same?

These guys are vets. All you guys saying preseason means nothing are just crazy.

I think JC's fate will be decided in 6 games or less.

I for one hope he gets benched and traded. I am tired of his excuses and his poor play. The guy is a donkey... and will never be more than mediocre. Why cannot anyone else see this.

In my mind, JC is the guy holding this team back.

Noooo!

Your rationality is making my head spin! ES can't take this!

;)

seems like that's the favorite excuse players and fans use during preseason...vanilla offense...here's the problem i have, the plays they were running were base plays...base plays are simple plays, yet why couldn't the players execute these base plays...and they played more than a quarter (unless he is only referring to the Jags game)

PRESEASON!!!!! PRESEASON!!!!!! PRESEASON!!!!!!PRESEASON!!!!!!!

I know what you say "these guys are professionals, they should give 110% whenever they are in there", while this is true it is not what happens. The starters don't "give it everything they got" during the preseason, they just don't! We will not see what this team can do until Thursday night.

Play calling is different based on who is in the game as well as the situation at hand. People on this board cry to much, worry to much before the season even begins. BELIEVE!!!!!!!! BELIEVE IN YOUR TEAM!!! BELIEVE IN YOUR COACHES AND FAN BASE. Every team is starting 0 - 0. You can question the playcalling, you can question what players would be better at what position, hell you can even question your sanity for being a DIE HARD, BURGUNDY AND GOLD BLEEDING SUPER FAN, but one thing I never question with this team is "HEART"

This team, these players, most of these coaches, front office and yes even the owner have shown over the last four seasons, and above all last seaon, a total comitment to giving 110% when the "real bullets" start flying. Have things always worked out? No, but the "HEART" of this team is strong, I will say right now that I have not witnessed this team "GIVE UP" in any regular season game these last four years, and yes I even include the N.E. game when we got owned, these players and coaches still fought the whole way.

What I get really tired of on this board is hearing all the "I AM A TRUE REDSKIN FAN, BUT" people. All this being said before the first game of the season! I only wish that these people would get "ONE TENTH" of the heart going into the season as our players have. One tenth!!!! 10% of the heart they want our players to give on game day. One tenth, 10% of the belief that "THEY" want our players to have.

All these people give all the excuses why the Redskins are going to be so bad, only to close by sayin "I hope I'm wrong". Do you? Do you really hope your wrong? Or are you looking forward to being able to say "told ya so"?

To all of the nay sayers on this board, I say "GET SOME HEART"!!!!!! Show some belief in your team. Give it a chance, and when we get knocked down show some "GUTS" and get right back into the fight!!!! Just like you expect the team to do.

That's what you expect this team, these players, these coaches, this whole organization to do. Why should they expect anything "LESS" from you?

HAIL!!!!

You can honestly say with a straight face that not being able to execute basic WCO plays with the first team is no problemo?

Yes, because of what Thinking Skins said. Secondly, you don't want to play preseason, so why put effort into it?

Yes. Because he knows more on the situation and lockerroom mentality than you do.

If they cannot execute basic plays for a full half of football, do you believe we are not in for more of the same?

nope, first few games can be shaky and then it should be together towards the end.

These guys are vets. All you guys saying preseason means nothing are just crazy.

That's such a contradictory statement. They are vets. They've proven that they belong on a team, more specifically ours. To them, preaseason means nothing.

We'll give him the year, and thank God you aren't running the team. Snyder himself said he's approaching the situation with patience, he even cited Campbell in the WSJ interview.

I for one hope he gets benched and traded. I am tired of his excuses and his poor play. The guy is a donkey... and will never be more than mediocre. Why cannot anyone else see this.

Because we don't root for people on our team to fail, we hope for all of them to do well.

Well thank god your mind doesnt mean anything to the team.

alright, lets look at this statement...what do you mean "not be able to execute basic WCO plays"?

- Do you mean that the OL couldn't protect for Portis or JC?

- Do you mean that the WRs couldn't catch some of the passes?

- Do you mean that because the plays were so simple, defenses already knew what we were going to do?

- Or do you simply want to blame it all on Campbell?

No. I'm buying into the stuff I've heard preached all my life from coaches all over the NFL saying that PRESEASON MEANS NOTHING. But I guess you're one of those guys who thinks Spurrier was a great coach cause he had such a great preseason - yeah, such good memories of Osaka.

Actually I don't. I believe more in the practices in between the preseason games, where we're actually getting ready for the Giants - And when Zorn says we had one of our best weeks of practice before the Carolina game.

We'll see in a few days which one of us were right .

Why? Care to elaborate?

Yeah, I've already responded to this part. When I read this, it kinda let me know the level of a fan I was talking to.

I am sure JC got appointed captain because he is such a joke. Zorn is here to work with Campbell and he will have the entire 5 years on his contract to work with him before he is considered a bust, but so many forget this team was a Moss fumble and a Betts stop at the goaline from being 6-2 last year

Archived