Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Campbell presser: On the offense

SkinsAllDay34

To skinfan2k

What?

Ok, well ya can't say I didn't ask.

Back to football:

JC was SEC PotY because of two simple things. He had a great O-Line and great RB's.

He has never, ever, ever, been a good let alone decent passer. He has always looked bad in the pocket. He has always fumbled. He has never been accurate or decisive in his passing game.

At 21 you probably never even saw him play at Auburn, but I think you can get video. JC will not be here next year. My friends from other teams do not think he will last mid-season.

You know, he did make a good point. Why was Colt drafted? Jason has 2yrs left on his contract, Todd was signed to 3yrs, so why bring Colt on? That is a good question.

SNCFan, maybe these guys need to be reminded that no personal attacks are allowed. I know I made the mistake and I was trying to be funny. By the way, great point in the Cult of Colt thread. I' don't know how to email Colt, but I'll try Cooley. They both seem like they can appreciate a guy flying 5k miles to try and save a 7yr olds life. Plus being a serving soldier. That blows me away.:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy

Haha, are you seriously a redskins fan? Even Gibbs said last offseason we needed to find a 3rd quarterback? What dont you get? Todd is not gonna be here any longer and we need a backup soon? Wow. You really think we were gonna keep Brunell away. Usually the 3rd quarterback is someone of min salary and we got that with Colt. We weren't going to go this offseason with the Maryland QB as our 3rd. :doh:

You know, he did make a good point. Why was Colt drafted? Jason has 2yrs left on his contract, Todd was signed to 3yrs, so why bring Colt on? That is a good question.

SNCFan, maybe these guys need to be reminded that no personal attacks are allowed. I know I made the mistake and I was trying to be funny. By the way, great point in the Cult of Colt thread. I' don't know how to email Colt, but I'll try Cooley. They both seem like they can appreciate a guy flying 5k miles to try and save a 7yr olds life. Plus being a serving soldier. That blows me away.:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy

One day at TC, Cooley had a young Kid (leukemia patient) spend the day with him.... was awesome!

To skinfan2k

What?

Back to football:

JC was SEC PotY because of two simple things. He had a great O-Line and great RB's.

He has never, ever, ever, been a good let alone decent passer. He has always looked bad in the pocket. He has always fumbled. He has never been accurate or decisive in his passing game.

At 21 you probably never even saw him play at Auburn, but I think you can get video. JC will not be here next year. My friends from other teams do not think he will last mid-season.

Sorry I watched him at Auburn and he didn't get the award because of his line. He was simply the best player in the conference and was voted by his peers. Do you know why they got all that running room, its because of the arm?

Always fumbled? Oh really, 1 fumble in his first 9 starts here is bad. Damn, let me rethink that.

Hooray, you have friends from other teams. I know a couple of football players like Johnathan Odgen, Derrick Harvey from Jags, and a number of others. Do I give a rats ass what your friends who are not working as scouts think?

Haha, are you seriously a redskins fan? Even Gibbs said last offseason we needed to find a 3rd quarterback? What dont you get? Todd is not gonna be here any longer and we need a backup soon? Wow. You really think we were gonna keep Brunell away. Usually the 3rd quarterback is someone of min salary and we got that with Colt. We weren't going to go this offseason with the Maryland QB as our 3rd. :doh:

Seriously though, this is Zorns era not Gibbs. And there are several teams with just 2 QBs. There are plenty of QBs we can pickup for the league minimum as a backup. Kurt Warner was baggin groceries and playing arena ball. So why waste a draft pick on a backup. Never. It's done because Z expects to have a starter with every pick. A pick is money, not league minimum.

Seriously though, this is Zorns era not Gibbs. And there are several teams with just 2 QBs. There are plenty of QBs we can pickup for the league minimum as a backup. Kurt Warner was baggin groceries and playing arena ball. So why waste a draft pick on a backup. Never. It's done because Z expects to have a starter with every pick. A pick is money, not league minimum.

A 6th round pick is league miniumium. You think if Zorn wanted a QB he would wait til the 6th. You got logic there buddy. We drafted a ****in punter before him. :doh:

To skinfan2k

What?

Back to football:

Not so. He completed 69.9% of his passes his senior year at Auburn. But he does need more time to setup than our o-line has ever given him. Too much time? Probably.

HT,

It is obvious to all that Colt was picked by the FO and staff to fill a void that has been absent from Washington for decades. I know Zorn looked at several west coast area QBs. I think he picked Colt.... hand-picked him.

Gibbs knew Campbell wasn't the long term answer. Zorn didn't want leftovers. Colt is the future. Bank it.

^^^

Now, that is an example of an opinion. This is in stark contrast to the facts posted earlier :)

Want to know about Jason Campbell?

He stunk it up at Auburn for 3 years. His running-backs won it for him in his senior year. He wasn't anything special.

Stunk it up for 3 years? Maybe. Im not that big of a college fan so I cant talk much about that but note:

Music City Bowl MVP (2003)

First-team All-SEC (2004)

SEC Offensive Player of the Year (2004)

SEC Championship Game MVP (2004)

Quarterbacked Auburn's perfect 13-0 season (2004)

Sugar Bowl MVP (2005)

5x SEC Offensive Player of the Week

SEC offensive player of the year and first team SEC? Did his running backs win that for him? Must have. Cause Jason Campbell has never done anything of note. Other people are responsible for his success - Especially the individual awards.

Skins throw down a #1 pick on him. He plays pre-season, practices, and rides the pine in the early going of Gibbs 2.0.

Finally he gets the start in trash time of an awful season. He stinks it up. Nobody cares. He will "learn the system in the off-season."

In the trash time (and it was trash time as we were out of playoff contention if memory serves me correctly). 10 TDs and 6 INTs in 7 games with 1297 yards at a 53% clip. Now, thats not great but stinks it up? As far as nobody caring? Uh, what? Perhaps his most impressive moment that season was the Carolina game where the head set malfunctioned. Not knowing the play, Campbell steps up to line without knowing the play, calls his own play at the line. Despite his supposedly wildly innaccurate arm he hits Cooley in stride for the first. Cooley then turns a small game into the game winning TD. But of course. Thats 100% Cooley. Well not 100% Cooley. It was Saunders's play that Campbell called its not like Campbell had to think under pressure or anything. Lets call it 85% Cooley and 15% Saunders with 0% Campbell.

Humor me here, lets call that half a season so double it. 20 TDs, and 12 INTs is a solid season, not great. But I return, what actually happens, we go 2-5 and the year is over. Lost in the shuffle is Jason Campbell's ability, specifically to continue to look up field. Margin of loss drops significantly, but Im lazy and dont want to make up a number. (If someone knows off hand please help me out here)

Pre-season 2007 he stinks it up like usual making excuses. It isn't the system. It is his mechanics and instincts. He is "working on it." Everyone else makes excuses and says give the kid a chance.

In the offseason Jason Campbell works with Al Saunders on a few things, namely his mechanics. In the preaseason Campbell plays ok until the Steelers run the anti-qb play. The result is a knee injury that keeps him out of hte next week's game. He does return for the final game against Jax registering a TD and 54 on 5 for 5 passing (151 passer rating). That really sucks.

2007 season starts. He stinks it up again except for two decent games... Away Detroit and Away Philly. Stinks it up some more with more and more fumbles and ints. Makes more excuses. Gets hurt.

Jason Campbell has ups and downs all season. Early on people critisized him for his sub 60% completion rating. After 3 games his % was a lowly 52%. He responded by finishing the year at 60% which meant he had to bring his percent up to 60%.

Still, he had inconsistencies. And thats Jason Campbell's real problem- inconsistencies. Not inaccuracy, not mechanics, not reading defenes. Its Innaccuracy. Hed have a great quarter followed by a forgetable one. He have a great drive followed by a bad one. Basically we would get out to a lead in the 1st half and then try to run out the clock. If the defense held it was Arizona. Sometimes it was the case that we would have to go away from 2nd half of run run pass punt and put the game on Jason Campbell's shoulders. Here is what people remember. With the clock against him he felt the need to force throws to press the matter. The result was INTs at bad times.

The game at philly is a great example. He threw an early pic. Bad Jason. To end the half he leads the team down the field escaping pressure twice turning what should have been sacks into first downs. Fabini picks up 2 penalties and pushes us back. Still Jason Campbell drops back puts the ball right in the place where only Cooley can get it. TD. Good Jason (But it was ALL COOLEY). Then in the same game, its the 4th, we have the ball and are trying to run it out. Its 3rd, Gibbs calls a play action streak for Santana Moss. Great Call. Jason Campbell overthrew Santan Moss however and puts it on our D to make a great stand. How can you overthrow Santana Moss on a playaction go? Bad Jason.

Then Collins comes in, wins 4.5 games and takes us to the playoffs.

This is something I have a huge problem with because I bought this for a while. Until I rewatched some games and looked at the stats. Todd Collins did one thing better than Jason Campbell. He didnt force throws. Check out these stats: http://www.extremeskins.com/showpost.php?p=5319603&postcount=193

Todd Collins really didnt do much better than Campbell. The one thing that jumps out is the lack of INTs, not Turnovers. Collins still fumbled as much as Campbell (maybe it really was the pressure that was causing the fumbles).

2008 off-season he says he is working daily on technique etc etc etc. Looks "ok" in TC. Looks good in his first two offensive series (one vs Colts and one vs Bills). Stinks it up royally again for the rest of pre-season 2008. More excuses.

No. This is more spin. Jason Campbell worked extremely hard in the offseason reducing his body fat% by 8%. Zorn works with him commenting on how hard he works to take what he learns and use it. He has a new stance, a new throw, and a new playbook. Working extremely hard in camp but not satisfied by his progess he decides to work harder. He responds by lighting up training camp. Zorn is impressed. His teammates are impressed. Peter King goes so far as to call it the greatest training camp performance that he had ever seen from anyone ever (at least I thought it was Peter King). Looks real good first 2 games, good in the 3. Doesnt really get a chance to do anything in the 4 game and looks bad in the final game.

Even then: As far as Jason Campbell, Zorn says that he has clearly improved over the off-season and looked “fine last night.” With regard to most of the starters and concerns about the offense thus far, he remains confident and optimistic. “Now we get to really find out who we are, and really play for keeps,” he said. After he talked about reviewing the video in detail to isolate the problems, Coach Zorn answered with a flat “yes” to three consecutive questions: do you know what the problems are? Are they correctable? And will they be corrected? Made it all sound very cut and dried. For another week, at least, the much-discussed candor, optimism, and confidence are still very much in place. Roll on the regular season.

- Jim Zorn

http://theredskinsblog.com/2008/08/2...onference-829/

That pretty much sums it up. Just look at his career stats. He is less than mediocre for an NFL QB.

All I am saying is it's time for JC to put up or shut up. This time next year, my money is on him to ride the pine or be traded while the Skins move forward.

He hasn't changed, and all the intangibles just are not there.... for that matter... neither is his play.

Why do you really think the FO and staff drafted a QB? Trouble is brewing and brewing fast for Jason "suck my thumb" Campbell.

Career stats? Hes played 20 games, you could pull the stats for 20 hall of famers and 20 washouts and you would see nothing to distinguish a stud from a dud at 20 games in whether its Rick Meirer or Brett Favre. The addage I always hear is 30 starts. Give a QB 30 starts to see what he might be capable of. So that means 10 starts (my vote is for the whole season cause we have yet another system to learn). Thats the one point you have right. He has to show that his flashes arent just flashes but he can bring the A game on a consistent basis.

They drafted Colt Brennan for a few reasons. We didnt have a 3rd QB. Colt Brennan should have been a 1st or 2nd rounder if he left a year earlier, he was available in the 6th (and he was our 3rd 6th rounder). Plus Zorn knew his coach and had met Brennan before. All that plus the review from his coach, why not take a project QB. We have a 26 year old starter. The capable but old Vet. Why not pull the trigger.

As far as "Suck my Thumb" Campbell, you can check that crap at the door. Support you squad dont tear them down.

HT,

It is obvious to all that Colt was picked by the FO and staff to fill a void that has been absent from Washington for decades. I know Zorn looked at several west coast area QBs. I think he picked Colt.... hand-picked him.

Gibbs knew Campbell wasn't the long term answer. Zorn didn't want leftovers. Colt is the future. Bank it.

^^^

Now, that is an example of an opinion. This is in stark contrast to the facts posted earlier :)

That statement doesn't even make any sense. Why would Gibbs use a 1st round pick to draft JC and give up two more picks if he didn't think he was the long term answer? :doh:

Stunk it up for 3 years? Maybe. Im not that big of a college fan so I cant talk much about that but note:

<SNIP>

As far as "Suck my Thumb" Campbell, you can check that crap at the door. Support you squad dont tear them down.

THANK you for a well reasoned and thought provoking post instead of the run of the mill name calling.

I will take your advice, and leave the "SMT" comment out from now on.

Again thank you.

Well done sir.

A 6th round pick is league miniumium. You think if Zorn wanted a QB he would wait til the 6th. You got logic there buddy. We drafted a ****in punter before him. :doh:

You still don't get it, so why should I waste my time? He still drafted a QB. And DOOH, Colt got a signing bonus, league minimum has no signing bonus. Maybe some economics classes might help.

That statement doesn't even make any sense. Why would Gibbs use a 1st round pick to draft JC and give up two more picks if he didn't think he was the long term answer? :doh:

Because JC has failed to develop properly. When Gibbs left, my GUESS is that he knew what we had was not the answer.

JC has proven one thing to me, and that is he cannot adapt. At times he looks lost and confused on the field.

Colt, the Rook, looks the exact opposite. No fear.

Maybe it is Gibbs' fault that Jason is so trigger shy. I don't know, but the sun is quickly setting on JC in Wash IMHO.

You still don't get it, so why should I waste my time? He still drafted a QB. And DOOH, Colt got a signing bonus, league minimum has no signing bonus. Maybe some economics classes might help.

pixel.gif

Redskins agreed to terms with sixth-round QB Colt Brennan on a four-year, $1.8 million contract. The signing bonus is for just less than $100,000.

Haha! 100,000 is a great signing bonus!! Haha! Zorn said he wanted a project QB all along. He wanted Josh Johnson at first but he went early? You dont have a clue do you? You are still stunk under Colt's balls to realize it.

Because JC has failed to develop properly. When Gibbs left, my GUESS is that he knew what we had was not the answer.

JC has proven one thing to me, and that is he cannot adapt. At times he looks lost and confused on the field.

Colt, the Rook, looks the exact opposite. No fear.

Maybe it is Gibbs' fault that Jason is so trigger shy. I don't know, but the sun is quickly setting on JC in Wash IMHO.

Sure, he only had 8 systems in 9 years and still becomes a 1st round choice and is called upon captain of the squad:doh:

Well, I don't think we're stuck under anybody's balls just b/c we root for for CB or JC. Personally, we're all entitled to our own opinions, and we all have a right to post those opinions, as long as we're not becoming offensive to others.

With that being said, I'll reiterate what one of our very insightful mod's so eloquently stated in another thread ( of course, I'm not very smart so this isn't verbatim):

"The question for me is really, What has JC done this far to show us that he has what it takes?"

It was something to that effect. And he made a very valid point. All excuses aside, he hasn't really done jack to show us that he is our future. In all honesty, it is his inconsistency that has me feeling scared for the season. My homerism is now truly lacking.

I will still cheer for him, and hope for the best. But if he can't pull it together soon, then I am really feeling that we should go with our next option. I don't necessarily think it should take him all year to prove himself either. I think by game 5 or 6, he better have it in the bag, or people will be calling for his head.

THANK you for a well reasoned and thought provoking post instead of the run of the mill name calling.

I will take your advice, and leave the "SMT" comment out from now on.

Again thank you.

Well done sir.

Anytime, Id like to hear your thoughts on my post/s. I think you have some points just the way you present it is "my opinion is fact" and your opinion is decidedly half empty. Which is your perogative, this is America. But this is also a Redskins forum, and if you attack a player theres going to be backlash and thats not a Campbell thing. Thats a Redskins thing. So, good luck convincing people that you opinion is fact, but its not really supported by alot of the actual facts (which is again why I would like to hear something besides Campbell No, Brennan yes).

Archived