Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Campbell presser: On the offense

SkinsAllDay34

He said it best today and I have mentioned this. With the offensive woes and struggles people are questioning the O. Jason said we arnt even running our real offense and its just base plays and not the true thing. Most people tend to say vanilla when describing it. Also he said it is hard to judge it on top of that because they only played for at most a quarter.

Just saying this because we have not seen the real WCO and I have a feeling it will look a lot better during the season when the games count.

Its up on www.redskins.com

He said it best today and I have mentioned this. With the offensive woes and struggles people are questioning the O. Jason said we arnt even running our real offense and its just base plays and not the true thing. Most people tend to say vanilla when describing it. Also he said it is hard to judge it on top of that because they only played for at most a quarter.

Just saying this because we have not seen the real WCO and I have a feeling it will look a lot better during the season when the games count.

Hopefully, but the same was said under Saunders and Marty.

I think we showed the most of our playbook against Indy. I mean, that was the first and ONLY time I saw a route ran like ARE's on the first touchdown play. And boy were we effective that game.

But that's the optimist in me saying that. Soo....

seems like that's the favorite excuse players and fans use during preseason...vanilla offense...here's the problem i have, the plays they were running were base plays...base plays are simple plays, yet why couldn't the players execute these base plays...and they played more than a quarter (unless he is only referring to the Jags game)

We weren't running our real offense but our opponents were?

No they were not. Which makes this even MORE unreliable/indicative. The only real thing you can gain from preseason is:

can the guy block one-on-one

can the guy tackle

can the guy catch (body catch or good hands)

the mental things are:

does he practice hard

does he focus

does he play through pain

Notice I never said the word offense. The preseason is basically a players tryout for their position on the depth chart. Not the offenses tryout for their position on your favorite Power Poll.

:logo:

I've heard this BS so many times before. While it may be true, if we end up with offensive issues in the first couple of games, that whole explanation simply becomes a lame excuse for losing preseason games.

This is why I said weeks ago that I wish the coaches would at least throw some of the playbook in (even if just the 1st quarter) during preseason games. It's much easier to judge what type of offense we can expect when we've actually seen some of it being run - regardless of what you might be giving away to opposing coaches. When you keep everything "vanilla" every preseason, every game, it's just a wasted smokescreen if we happen to come up short when the season starts.

All that said, I do expect our offense to be much more balanced and dangerous come the first few games, but still. I've just gotten to the point where I hate that, "...well, you know we're not really using our real offense..." excuse.

we weren't executing basic plays either in the Carolina game or against a 2nd team defense in the Jags game.

tell me again why we should expect to execute more complicated plays against 1st team defenses.

I knew someone was gonna say this. This probably wont make sense but we are probably more use to the actual plays that we are gonna run during the season. The offense did not practice the base plays alot probably, got only a couple reps and thats why it was so ineffective. Think about it, the actual playbook is already new, and they have to get used to that and for the preseason games we have to run just base plays that wont be run again probably. Thats the best way i can explain it.

I knew someone was gonna say this. This probably wont make sense but we are probably more use to the actual plays that we are gonna run during the season. The offense did not practice the base plays alot probably, got only a couple reps and thats why it was so ineffective. Think about it, the actual playbook is already new, and they have to get used to that and for the preseason games we have to run just base plays that wont be run again probably. Thats the best way i can explain it.

Oh my Lord.....

:doh:

There is two glaring issues the offense has one being the O-line not blocking and the other is Campbell sometimes holds on to the ball instead of letting it fly. I'm hoping its just a small thing that can be fixed during practice.

seems like that's the favorite excuse players and fans use during preseason...vanilla offense...here's the problem i have, the plays they were running were base plays...base plays are simple plays, yet why couldn't the players execute these base plays...and they played more than a quarter (unless he is only referring to the Jags game)

Thank you - now maybe they will be much sharper come Thursday when it's for real. I'd like to believe that and do to an extent, but I'm still very worried nonetheless.

The Carolina game was the opportunity to get this offense going, but we obviously failed miserably. We looked better against Jacksonville, but went three and out 3 times, so we could never get going. A lot can change over the course of a game, and we haven't had enough time to see those changes.

I want to see this offense over the course of an entire game. Thursday's not that far away.

Come on fellas. We're better then this aren't we? Getting our panites in a bunch over Preseason? You know what you can learn about the starters/offense from preseason? Nothing, unless a starter gets hurt.

-The only thing i'm worried about is how injured is EL?

-Will Landry be 100%

Preseason is all about the backups and rookies

That much is obvious. Unfortunately, they haven't looked good running that vanilla offense the last couple of games. It's hard to make that optimistic leap to believe that they'll be able to execute a more complicated offense when they can't execute the vanilla offense. However, it's clear that Jason believes this 100% and if so, maybe that confidence in the 'real' scheme will allow him to go out and play...instead of second-guessing himself. Let's hope so. :2cents:

Archived