Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Campbell presser: On the offense

SkinsAllDay34

Just to debunk this preseason play doesn't matter, Heyer has been made starting RT 'based on his performance during the preseason.' If it didn't matter Jansen would still be starting.

Preseason doesn't matter...if you are trying to use the preseason to predict anything about a TEAMs' regular season success.

The games don't count. Most teams are NOT TRYING TO WIN. Therefore the plays and playcalling will not indicate anything about the team, unless the coaches call you up and let you know what they are working on or looking at. You don't know.

Now just because the games don't matter in predicting TEAM success doesn't mean that games don't matter for the coaches and players. The games are used by the coaches to evaluate individual players and sometimes plays.

B/c football is such a TEAM game its still hard to evaluate individual play without knowing some particulars about the situation the coaches have placed them in. Are the coaches trying to see if a d-line man can command a double team? Are they trying to see what pass rush they get without blitzing? We just don't know. During the regular season they are trying to win. Not tinkering/evaluating.

Because WE, don't know which players or how the coaches are evaluate players during preseason, its hard for US to glean anyhting from the preseason.

People seem to be down on Jason Campbell and the offense, but how can we judge his performance unless we also take into account:

-the play that were called

-the time/situation when the play was called

-the personnel group during that play

-the personnel group they were going against

-the blocking from the line

-the route running right place/distance/spacing/breaks

-did the receiver get open

-how open did the receiver get

-what type of throw was required

-did the qb have to read the coverage/ or was the receiver wide open

-did the qb make the right read

-was a difficult throw required/ thread the needle

-did he make the right throw

-did he force a throw

-did he throw a pass that should have been caught

-did he throw a pass that should have been intercepted

-was the pass on time

-was the pass on target

-was it a reasonably catchable ball

-did the receiver catch it

Preseason means nothing.

:2cents:

:cheers:

I put myself in the middle of that hypocrisy as well. I had to go back and read it to make sure I wasn't just thinking it. Passion is good, but I've seen it get in the way of accomplishing truly great things. All I'm saying is that we beat our chests and say "I Support The Entire Team", than we call each other "Haters" when we become critical of one player. Well meant criticism is not hate when looking for resolution or improvement. Reality is Colt will probably not see any action this year, and even Colt talked about it in his blog. Reality is tha Jason needs to show more than just improvement, or he will be replaced. Z has a 3yr contract, but that doesn't mean he will last his 3 yrs. Either win or be replaced. That is the business. By the way HawaiianTime is in honor of my uncle that drag raced. That was the name of his car. If people take offense, if I was misunderstood, or id I came off wrong, I will apologize or bring clarity to my position. I love football, and I love to hear my son say he wants to play football. Aah, music to my ears, FOOTBALL. Best Friggin time of the year.:cheers::cheers: I know you don't drink, but I cheer your passion.

Hey, how's school coming? I hope you finish your degree before going pro. And you better fessup when you do graduate and on your invite to the combine. I don't want to have to fly to DC to try and whoop on you.:D

We have an interesting dynamic. It seems, in many threads, we hate each other and then make up. It's like we're brothers or something.

Regardless, I'll be the first to say that Campbell needs to step up. He's not getting a free pass forever, but at least long enough for us to be CERTAIN he isn't the one. Besides, the longer we give Campbell the better for Colt. Say, after a year and a half, it just isn't working with Campbell. Well, thats a year and a half that Colt doesn't have to gameplan but rather work on his technique (sorry, but that footwork - "throwing" the foot after the throw - just has to go, Coach Fridge KILLS QBs when they do that and it can actually help him through farther if he fixes it). There is no pressure on Colt to succeed, only get better. And, hey, if Campbell becomes the one, Colt will always have a place here or, there will be teams lining up to trade for him or sign him - guaranteed.

As for the last part. Yes, I'm getting my degree, but it requires a lot of credits/semester (double major in Econ and ChemE). I've been told that I'm a draftable prospect, but who knows how many people hear that? We'll see how it rolls.

Seriously though, this is Zorns era not Gibbs. And there are several teams with just 2 QBs. There are plenty of QBs we can pickup for the league minimum as a backup. Kurt Warner was baggin groceries and playing arena ball. So why waste a draft pick on a backup. Never. It's done because Z expects to have a starter with every pick. A pick is money, not league minimum.
You still don't get it, so why should I waste my time? He still drafted a QB. And DOOH, Colt got a signing bonus, league minimum has no signing bonus. Maybe some economics classes might help.

Well, the same can be argued for Jordan Palmer, nay?

We have an interesting dynamic. It seems, in many threads, we hate each other and then make up. It's like we're brothers or something.

Regardless, I'll be the first to say that Campbell needs to step up. He's not getting a free pass forever, but at least long enough for us to be CERTAIN he isn't the one. Besides, the longer we give Campbell the better for Colt. Say, after a year and a half, it just isn't working with Campbell. Well, thats a year and a half that Colt doesn't have to gameplan but rather work on his technique (sorry, but that footwork - "throwing" the foot after the throw - just has to go, Coach Fridge KILLS QBs when they do that and it can actually help him through farther if he fixes it). There is no pressure on Colt to succeed, only get better. And, hey, if Campbell becomes the one, Colt will always have a place here or, there will be teams lining up to trade for him or sign him - guaranteed.

As for the last part. Yes, I'm getting my degree, but it requires a lot of credits/semester (double major in Econ and ChemE). I've been told that I'm a draftable prospect, but who knows how many people hear that? We'll see how it rolls.

Well, the same can be argued for Jordan Palmer, nay?

Brothers, sure 1 God, I think we both agree. Same family, Redskins. Same goal, to have a winning/SB season.

Believe me, Jasons a nice guy and an angry crowd can be a dangerous crowd. He's got the tools, now he just needs to develop the feel. Feel for the ball, more so though, a feel for his team. I know he can do it. He's gotta make believers. You really believe Z can give him that much time? That's also Z staking his career on that decision. I guess you are closer to the situation than I am. So, I guess as your Older brother, I'll defer to my upstart sibling:D. Just remember your bro when you go pro, damn an autograph would be good.

Yeah, Madden highlighted some of his footwork in the Jag game. most is good, but both feet off the ground with a throw was ugly, albeit complete I believe. HAhaha, still trying to get your goat.

Brothers, sure 1 God, I think we both agree. Same family, Redskins. Same goal, to have a winning/SB season.

agreed.

Believe me, Jasons a nice guy and an angry crowd can be a dangerous crowd. He's got the tools, now he just needs to develop the feel. Feel for the ball, more so though, a feel for his team. I know he can do it. He's gotta make believers. You really believe Z can give him that much time? That's also Z staking his career on that decision.

yep, he will. in fact, its a part of his signing really - if Snyder didn't believe in Jason, Z will be free to yank him sooner. Except Snyder himself as shown and expressed patience with Jason and its to be expected for him to do the same with Z. There's something he likes about Z, I'd be surprised if Z, regardless of results, was fired in the first two years.

I guess you are closer to the situation than I am. So, I guess as your Older brother, I'll defer to my upstart sibling:D.

Well its not being closer to the situation as it is, what do you know about it? I'm not saying you don't know anything since you really started following the Redskins in the past few months, but then again, that is precisely what I'm saying :D. Interviews, small tidbits here and there, they add up. Especially from the stuff around Zorn's hiring that Snyder said to Peter King, in the press conferences, etc. It's the overall picture that forms together with info from all over the place. In time, and with enough reading, it'll form for you too and help you form your own opinions.

Just remember your bro when you go pro, damn an autograph would be good.

Denounce Colt and I'll give you my signing bonus :P

Yeah, Madden highlighted some of his footwork in the Jag game. most is good, but both feet off the ground with a throw was ugly, albeit complete I believe. HAhaha, still trying to get your goat.

Its not whether it was a completion, or an int or a TD. It's, he had one foot planted and one Dlineman falling the wrong way on Colt's knee and Colt can wave his career bye-bye. Sidearmed if he wants to lol

Hey corrupt3d -

Here's a quote from June Jones about footwork: “Jeff George, Dan Marino and Colt are the only guys I’ve seen when they release the ball when their right foot is off the ground,” Jones said. “I don’t know what it means, but I’m going to start looking for it in high school.”

OK. Sorry I strayed away from the Cult thread, I'll try not to do it too often. I promise!

Hey corrupt3d -

Here's a quote from June Jones about footwork: “Jeff George, Dan Marino and Colt are the only guys I’ve seen when they release the ball when their right foot is off the ground,” Jones said. “I don’t know what it means, but I’m going to start looking for it in high school.”

OK. Sorry I strayed away from the Cult thread, I'll try not to do it too often. I promise!

Well, Jeff George and Marino are two different ends of the spectrum there.

Still, I'd feel more comfortable, and this idea is shared by a lot of coaches not just in the league and in college, if he threw off of both feet. Having one foot planted might be okay the first hundred times, but its that one hundred and first time that'll hurt ya.

Seems to work for him, but I hear ya. BTW, you're my favorite anti-Colt fan. Really, you are. I've read a lot of your posts and I'm impressed with your intelligence and reasoning.

:\

I'm not anti-Colt, I'm just anti-throwing-Jason-under-the-bus-before-we-are-certain-he-isnt-the-one-and-throwing-Colt-into-the-fire-because-i-dont-think-he's-ready-just-yet-but-that-isnt-a-knock-on-his-skill-its-just-he's-very-raw-and-this-will-give-him-time-besides-i-do-like-Campbell-and-hope-he'll-do-well-but-I-root-for-all-Redskins-especially-whoever-is-starting-at-QB

It's quite simple really.

Man, so much hate, then so much love, then so much hate again. SkinsNatsCapsFan, you left the SMT comment at the door, but then you drop the "your under somebodies balls" comment. You're killin me bro.

I hope Campbell does awesome this year. I think the past two years would have been bad for most newer QBs. I didn't like our offense, the Gibunders-O. We build a lead in the first half, then try to run/run/run/run the entire second and end up losing half-time leads. I think Campbell will be fine, but that's just me. I actually like him, and I think he's shown progress, maybe not enough, but he's shown some progress. From what I remember, the games that he was allowed to call the plays, were the two games that he played very well in last season. I think.

I loved watching Colt play in the preseason, and I have no way of knowing whether or not he's ready for prime time, just what Coach Zorn has said. Since Z has been so candid about all his players, I tend to believe him. He says the O line is fixable, then he puts Heyer on the first team and drops long time Skin Jansen to 2nd. Basically that tells me that if he really didn't think JC was at least adequate, and Colt was ready, Colt would be the starter. Apparently JC is at least adequate (hopefully he shuts the doubters up this year) and Colt isn't ready. Like I said, just going with what Zorn has said cause I don't see everything.

I like both of them, but I think QBs with a year or two to learn have a better chance to suceed. I would love to see him get some time, but I want to make sure JC is/isn't the man first. I think he's been what he's needed to be up to this point, but I hope he does better this year. I'm a JC cheerleader and a BC lover, so I guess that makes me well-rounded, or bipolar. Not sure.

Archived