Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mackdaddydean's 300 Shuttle Experiment UPDATED 08/13/08!

Mackdaddydean

After hearing about the infamous 300 Shuttle that the players must run (12

25-yard dashes suicide-style) I wondered if such a feat could be completed by a 23 year old who is 6'1" 176lbs and out of shape.

Most players are to complete this task in 53 seconds and linemen get a little more time. (If anyone knows the time the linemen have please inform me.) Anyway, I have decided to take the challenge (my own challenge lol) to do the 300 shuttle in 53 seconds or less.

I know that I will not be able to do it on my first try so I am going to log each attempt right here on extremeskins. I will also list my weight to see what kind of fitness benefits i might gain by doing this on a regular basis. If the mods would be kind enough maybe they can paperclip this so we can watch my progress. To make things more interesting, I'm going to try and complete it by the start of the regular season. So here we go:

08/11/08 Weight 176.5lbs

TIME: 1:24.3

I am exhasted and didn't realize how much i would slow down after about 6 laps.

08/12/08 Weight 175lbs (wouldn't put much stock in this, its within water weight range)

TIME 1:18.6

Exhasted again, but improved my time a little which i was suprised by because i felt like i went slower this time. I'm pretty sure the first time around I ran my first 2 or 3 laps extremely hard which wore myself out for the last 9 or 10. Pacing yourself is definately key here. Stay tuned.

08/13/08 Weight 176.5

TIME 1:13.9

Glad to see my time is improving, but I just feel so worn out I know I've got a ways to go.

You seem to be forgetting something. After they do the 300 yard shuttle, they get a 60 second break and have to do the 300 yard shuttle again.

:dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck

I find it disheartening (sp) that PROFESSIONAL athletes can not make this happen. I coach at a local high school and we run these 2x's a week. We do not have a single player , in or out of shape that is over 1:10 , most are in the low 50 second time frame. I am talking 130 players , aged 14 - 17. These are kids doing it for the love of it , not for $$$$$$$ What are the pros doing for off season conditioning? This is their job. Get in shape.

HTTR

Great idea. How often are you attempting this? Are you supplementing the shuttle with any additional training/running in between?

I myself am an out of shape 28 yr old who just got a desk job and started to prepare for the winter in the mid section it looks like! I just got back in the gym last week and would be interested in trying this out as well. Can anyone post the full program or provide a link that describes the shuttle in detail.

Cheers!!!!

In honor of MackDaddy's guinea-piggedness(?) I myself am going to do a 300 shuttle of my own. I am going to pop in the DVD of the movie 300, and watch it in 53 second intervals, all the way through.

After which I plan to have a cigarette. Outside, of course. Nowhere near anything like a concourse...

In honor of MackDaddy's guinea-piggedness(?) I myself am going to do a 300 shuttle of my own. I am going to pop in the DVD of the movie 300, and watch it in 53 second intervals, all the way through.

After which I plan to have a cigarette. Outside, of course. Nowhere near anything like a concourse...

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

:notworthy

Look forward to hearing about how you did then,(number of times throwing up doesn't have to be included).

I play football every Sunday (beer league touch), so thats the next time I'll be at the field.

I'll try it then, fail miserably, then come back with my tail between my legs.

Deal???? :)

I play football every Sunday (beer league touch), so thats the next time I'll be at the field.

I'll try it then, fail miserably, then come back with my tail between my legs.

Deal???? :)

Deal. Meanwhile I get to chicken out of being embarrassed because of a hurt ankle and foot. :silly:

Great idea. How often are you attempting this? Are you supplementing the shuttle with any additional training/running in between?

I myself am an out of shape 28 yr old who just got a desk job and started to prepare for the winter in the mid section it looks like! I just got back in the gym last week and would be interested in trying this out as well. Can anyone post the full program or provide a link that describes the shuttle in detail.

Cheers!!!!

Well now that you mention it, I'm going to attempt it everyday to help quicken the pace of conditioning. I might do some light running as a warm up, but the shuttle itself is the main conditioning that I will have. I'll try to see what i can do as far as video evidence, especially as I get closer to the actual time of 53 seconds.

might want to start off with some progressive HIT training first. - You might hurt yourself otherwise. - Good idea though to set a goal.

...and i dont know about those little chocolate donuts:silly:

:laugh: I take it everyone knows where that reference comes from?

You seem to be forgetting something. After they do the 300 yard shuttle, they get a 60 second break and have to do the 300 yard shuttle again.

:dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck

Not sure why this hasn't been responded to yet.

You need to do it twice OP.

One way to get better at these is do 150 yard shuttles. Just half the time as well. Start at 2 with 60 second breaks in-between. Then do three. Keep building til you decided to do 300 yard shuttles.

Archived