Redskins.com: Exceeding Expectations.

Art

After a break.

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=37456

ExtremeSkins Fan View: Exceeding Expectations

By Arthur Mills

ExtremeSkins.com

August 4, 2008

There are certain horrors a married man must endure in life. Couple events. Dance reality shows. "You look fine in either, let's go" statements turning into "Fine? You are such a jerk" fights. Honestly, they are shoes. No one cares.

Add children and one compounds the degradation of man to a frightening level where you find yourself forced to dance--and, shamefully, happily eager to do so--rather badly to songs in "Dancing with the Stars," or, "So You Think You Can Dance," with an adoring, adorable 3-year-old who only wants to know if the song is a fun one where daddy tosses her around or a love one where daddy rests and we waltz.

This life lens is critical to understanding how I saw the Redskins' preseason opener against the Indianapolis Colts.

My oldest daughter likes me to watch her do a somersault. Having seen the Summer Olympics, I'm reasonably certain the stiff neck, long back, teeter-totter thing she does that causes a huge thud when her butt hits the ground and her legs flail uncontrolled into the wall is not an actual somersault. Yet, daddy claps wildly and does little happy circles of bodily affirmation as she beams. Good job.

Way to go.

That's so great.

Right. My expectations are low.

So, when I see Jim Zorn lead what for all the world appeared to be a crisp team somersault in the Hall of Fame Game, perhaps I'm misled by lower expectations and merely happy no feet went uncontrolled into the wall. I expect a team with a first-time head coach to struggle.

A head coach who has called exactly as many NFL plays, before last night, as I have in the NFL can't be expected to have it all under control.

A head coach who is not the blessed Gregg Williams, who we should have picked, can not have earned it. Can not be ready. Can not bring everything together. Can not anticipate everything a head coach must. Can not adjust when others figure him out.

I do not expect the Redskins to set the world on fire this season. I expect them to look inconsistent, and uncertain, and struggle as they learn their new coach and as he learns how to be a coach. This is perfectly acceptable since for much of the last four seasons under Joe Gibbs we were inconsistent, and uncertain, and struggled so that a new guy in maroon and black won't really be all that much different.

With those expectations, I watched the Hall of Fame game, waiting for the appearance of disorganization.

It didn't come.

There were no delay of game penalties. The last four years, the act of calling a play was an adventure where brave men huddled together to figure out a plan of attack for getting into that rabbit-guarded end zone (Holy Grail reference).

The one unexpected time out came when Colt Brennen appeared to have an equipment malfunction, not because the play wasn't there. People were not running onto the field and off with raised hands as if to ask, "Where am I supposed to be?"--as we saw so often in recent seasons. Everything was calm. Normal. Efficient.

Quarterbacks took the snap and handed off to running backs with great frequency as if our new coach wasn't a former quarterback.

Where Osaka in August 2002 left us dazzled and dreamy with unproven possibilities, Canton on Sunday left us calmed, as our migration from hypothetical NFL offense to outdated NFL offense to modern NFL offense surpassed expectations leaving each of us doing happy circles of bodily affirmation.

For me, and for many of you I'm sure, Sunday's game was one where I hoped Zorn didn't spike himself. Please don't look like a buffoon. Please don't look like the game is bigger than you. Please.

An on-sides kick to open the game and we didn't have a bailout on the front wall. We did our job. Yes, that's Danny Smith, our special teams coach, assuring everyone was prepared. But, having a team prepared is the responsibility of the head coach. We were prepared.

The game, doubtless, meant more to Zorn and the Redskins than Tony Dungy and the Colts. Zorn probably added a pinch of game-planning to give us a mild edge.

You could see from his smile at the end of the game that Zorn knew getting a win was important for him. He had never won before as an NFL head coach. It doesn't count, but, now he has.

Nothing about Sunday's game is a sign of great future success or incredible failure. It was a moment in time where you may have realistically assumed you'd see something where those realistic expectations were surpassed.

For now, you spend the week with some actual answers to the very legitimate questions any first-time head coach brings, realizing it may not always look so smoothly professional but knowing the only thing you can say is good job.

Way to go.

That's so great.

Nice piece Art.

Two thoughts I have.

1. Coaches who carry laminated pieces of paper with plays scribbled on them always win. Its just a fact, and this pretty much guarantees our trip to Tampa. Championship!

2. I may be getting ahead of my self on this one but... I think that we're witnessing a new type of offense. It isn't WC. It isn't Gibbs/Coriell/Suanders. Its a sort of hypbrid, do-whatever-it-takes frankenstien type of thing. We'll run a 70-chip off tackle (I swear I saw one in that first drive) on one play, and then a traditional west coast slant on the next. I think we could be very scary to defend.

The last four years, the act of calling a play was an adventure where brave men huddled together to figure out a plan of attack for getting into that rabbit-guarded end zone

:laugh:

as our migration from hypothetical NFL offense to outdated NFL offense to modern NFL offense surpassed expectations leaving each of us doing happy circles of bodily affirmation.

Well said. A bit early yet, but nonetheless I like the way this is worded.

Overall, great article Art. Everything in life ultimately boils down to our expectations vs our actual experience... and our happiness is usually measured in terms of how wide the divide between those two things is, not necessarily how great the actual experience was. Anyone who has ended up thoroughly enjoying a bad movie because their expectations were so low knows what I mean :)

For Zorn's debut, I feel like all of us don't really know how well the team did... for our judgement has been clouded a bit by our low-expectations being absolutely demolished by what appeared to be a competitive football team.

For me, the next few games will be a much better measuring stick as we all allow our expectations for this team to be raised, whether we want to or not.

But that said, great job to the team and Zorn indeed. Couldn't ask for much more, expectations or no.

Great post. And I agree. I was impressed with the composure of the rookies (though there was one delay of game -- just a technical correction -- but we took it on purpose to give the punter more room downfield, it was done not in confusion, but in PLANNING. Big big difference.

Oh.. and I was sitting next to two pretty decent Colts fans who thought it was really "neat" that we had the fight song. They were young... and were thrilled to be at the game as they got tickets literally an hour before the game. (By young, I mean probably early 20s).

They were also impressed by our 3rd and 4th string QBs.

Now were these dance reality shows including the new Skin, Jason Taylor? :laugh:

Fantastic post, as usual! I too went into the game with very low expectations and was also pleasantly surprised. The team seemed quicker, younger, smoother. Maybe it's the new offense, maybe it's a younger head coach (who I maintain does not look 55), maybe it's a lot of offseason prep. I don't know. But it worked. Zorn had the calm demeanor of a veteran head coach, but when he had the big smile on his face at the end and the game ball, I was cheesing right along with him.

It means nothing, but it was a fantastic start to the Zorn era in DC. :applause:

Nice read. I'm feeling rather calm if I must say so. It appeared that our team was, in fact, ready to play. I saw players cheering and being happy. I saw a virgin head coach, keep his cool and act as though he'd done this a million times already. His confidence put me at ease. While it was "rehearsal"..it was a well ran rehearsal w/very little mistakes.

I know it's early. I know it's preseason. I know it was rookie on rookie.

I still can't help comparing young Colt to young Brett.

That guy has more energy than a room full of Romos.

Jessica Simpson...STAY AWAY!

P.S. I hate Romo sits to pee.

Zorn...good job man...and yes...I was worried.

Mac

Nice job as usual Art.

Now please explain to all of us why you do not have a full time paid gig with a prestigious newspaper as a sports columnist? Your stuff is always so much more informative and entertaining than what I read in the Post or Times....or any of the other so-called "real" media publications.

Very good read Art. Nice picture you painted, leading into your expectations of the game.

I too was pleasantly surprised to see how the team operated throughout the game. Hopefully this meaningless game will begin a snowball effect towards and during the season. :cheers: to JAZ and the Redskins squad.

Nice read. I'm feeling rather calm if I must say so. It appeared that our team was, in fact, ready to play. I saw players cheering and being happy. I saw a virgin head coach, keep his cool and act as though he'd done this a million times already. His confidence put me at ease. While it was "rehearsal"..it was a well ran rehearsal w/very little mistakes.

I completely agree. The HOF game really made me rest easier about the Skins chances this year. I already knew we had all the pieces in place to do well, and maybe even better than that. The one big unknown was how Zorn was going to do. Now I feel comfortable saying that I expect the Redskins to at the very least make the playoffs as a wild card. and that would be a mild failure in my eyes. I'm looking for us to win the division and get top seed in the NFC. This is our year, and it will take the first quarter of the Giants game week 1 for the skeptics to shut up. and god i hope i'm reading this team right, bc I'm really putting myself out there lol.

Good read Art as always, I'm sure most fans share your thoughts and you do a great job of putting the thoughts on paper...er...screen.

Oh, and I hate to burst you bubble, but i've heard that Zorn actually did call plays once while in seattle while filling in for a sick coach. Seems he already had a jump on you in reguards to play calling. You've got some catching up to do.:D

Great piece, Art. Welcome back.

Question - After seeing how we looked in Canton, will your expectations be any different for our next preseason game?

Honestly, no. Zorn had months to get ready for this. I'm reasonably sure he did a little extra work on the Colts than the Colts did on him to give us a better chance. I mean, you don't attack the corners route all night like we did without thinking you know something about the bad guy.

The next few weeks will tell us more. Football moves fast. Moving from one opponent to the next so quickly with games constantly looming is the drain. How he holds up mentally and physically will be a constant test for us I think.

can anyone tell me how to change my avatar?

Avatars are a reflection of post count.

If you really want to change it right away, you'll need to use your printer, some scissors, and double sided tape. But keep in mind, this method is not compatible with your scroll bar.

In all seriousness though, check out our Forum Rules for the answer to this and other questions. (pay particular attention to the part about signature size. That one's kinda relevant in your case.)

(pay particular attention to the part about signature size. That one's kinda relevant in your case.)

Holy ****, so his sig is too big?

I just wish I could even add one. I don't know why but for some reason mine is disabled.

But anyway, Great Read Art. We don't know what to expect from this team, once again, but the first indications are very good. Our QB's looked good out there and if that continues then we are on the way.

Archived