Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Oh boy, here we go. (simmer down people)

greenmile

I don't care how smooth things looked or how promising certain players and/or coaches looked.

Let's not forget 2002 with Spurrier. Anyone remember a 38 - 7 thrashing against the 49ers at Osaka, Japan?

It's cool to have positive things to say, but please don't blow this out of proportion.

Remember in 1991 when the Redskins went 0-4 in the preseason? Oh, that's right, I believe we won a Superbowl that year.

Didn't Gibbs go 0-5 to start the 1981 season?

In a way I kind of wish we just got crushed by the Colts. I'd feel way better about our situation.

With Spurrier running our entire playbook and keeping starters in for an entire half. Our offense was vanilla, vanilla tonight, and we executed it very soundly. We ran about 10 plays over and over all night...not one play from shotgun...it was a very impressive performance.

Well why should we bother showing up to pre-season then? Lets just cancel our games then. What happened when Brunell and the Saunders offense looked like an abortion every preseason? We sucked ass!!!!

Every preseason? That was one preseason, actually (2006). And that's just our excuse to the ****ty year of 2006 when we try to blame it on a poor preseason. It was an overall inability to learn an offensive system in time while also keeping our "cards near the chest".

Preseason is a joke and should never be taken seriously.

Well why should we bother showing up to pre-season then? Lets just cancel our games then. What happened when Brunell and the Saunders offense looked like an abortion every preseason? We sucked ass!!!!

Good point matter of fact I don't think we scored a TD one year under Gibbs and Saunders.

I don't care how smooth things looked or how promising certain players and/or coaches looked.

Let's not forget 2002 with Spurrier. Anyone remember a 38 - 7 thrashing against the 49ers at Osaka, Japan?

It's cool to have positive things to say, but please don't blow this out of proportion.

Remember in 1991 when the Redskins went 0-4 in the preseason? Oh, that's right, I believe we won a Superbowl that year.

In a way I kind of wish we just got crushed by the Colts. I'd feel way better about our situation.

Are you on crack? We won the game by playing it like we should have...starters in for two series, followed by back-ups and third and fourth stringers.......To compare this to Spurrier playing our starters well into the third and fourth quarters is just showing how ignorant you are. Spurrier was out to prove a point that he can coach in the NFL! Zorn proved he truely knows how to coach in the NFL and went through the normal progressions. You should be happy that all our starters on offense performed very well in our first pre-season game.

Don't forget 2001 under Marty either. We looked horribly in the preseason and came out to start the year 0-5(and I think our first 3 games we lost by a combined margin of like 100-20 or some ridiculous score).

The team looked very good tonight. They came out prepared and executed their plays. Yeah it's only preseason but still, I'd rather look good executing vanilla plays than look bad.

Can't we just enjoy a moment once in a while? I'm not saying we're Tampa bound..but goodness...can't we be happy for a preseason game played reasonably well w/a new coach and offense?

thank you my thoughts exactly

i mean with a new scheme in place with a first year HC calling the plays was very efficient...i liked his playcalling even though he used like 10-15 plays over and over again. all the QB's were on the money..the worst one had only ONE incompletion

So you felt better when we were getting smashed in the preseason 2 years ago? That makes no sense. While I agree that we should temper our positive evaluations, you cannot dispute the VALID and JUSTIFIED excitement that we as fans can feel when we see POTENTIAL. Sure, we put this game into perspective and see that it is a preseason game. But damn, it's football and we are excited.

Furthermore, it is impossible to feel better about a situation if you get "crushed." You may learn more from a loss, but you can never feel good about a loss.

Good point matter of fact I don't think we scored a TD one year under Gibbs and Saunders.

I take that back that was 2006 and we scored 2 TDs in 4 preseason games.Thats starters and backups 2 TDs.If I remember correctly we had a bad offense that year.

Can't we just enjoy a moment once in a while? I'm not saying we're Tampa bound..but goodness...can't we be happy for a preseason game played reasonably well w/a new coach and offense?

No, you can't. Be misreable until we win a regular season game. And even then, don't get excited until we make the playoffs. Even then, I don't want to hear anything positive until we make it to the Superbowl. And if we win the bowl, I don't want to hear anything because we're not a dynasty yet. And if we win 2 in a row, don't get a big head because until we get six we're still behind the cowboys.

Stop hating on the win. Good lord... Im happy about the win myself but im not crowning us champs. I think people are just happy to see the Zorn era get off on the right foot and that we had a couple of nice efforts. Especially during this Redskins HOF weekend. Cant we just be happy for DG and Monk that we won? Geeeeeeeez.

We won the game by playing it like we should have...starters in for two series, followed by back-ups and third and fourth stringers.......To compare this to Spurrier playing our starters well into the third and fourth quarters is just showing how ignorant you are.

Spot on.

There's a level of ignornance to the hope we'd have gotten blown away for you to feel better. Zorn is a first time head coach. Getting blown away and going 0-fer the preseason is a different thing than doing it with Parcells or Gibbs or an established winning coach.

The only, and best, outcome for a first timer is what happened tonight. We weren't playing pinball against the opposition's defense. We were organized, professional and prepared. The game wasn't too big for the new guy. What you want is for him to be able to be above it all and he was.

Spurrier's Osaka game was an exciting game for us. This game was not that. It was good and nice and we had bright spots, but, for the most part, it gave the feel of a staff that wasn't new to this and that's good when your head coach IS new to that role.

Sooooooo we just should'nt talk about the game because of what has happen in the past? :doh:

I love threads like this..."simmer down people", like you are the overall voice of calm, cool reasoning.

Get off of your high horse buddy and join in the discussion about our beloved team.

Do you also remember 2006 when Saunders refused to use any of his formation shifts and get any reps in for the first team? I seem to remember us going 5-11 that year.

Clearly taking things into perspective is important, but still you have to be impressed by the play of the Redskins as a team. Most importantly Campbell looked poised, Moss looked like his 2005 self, and Randle El had a nice TD grab. They can look like gods on the practice field, but until you snow what you can do on the gridiron it don't make a difference.

So I think what we take from this game are positives in that the offense is picking up Jim Zorn's system, the defense is making strides, and the special teams improved too (Brooks' punts and Suisham's kickoffs). You take the negatives to the practice field, refine them and come back to FedEx ready to play.

There's a level of ignornance to the hope we'd have gotten blown away for you to feel better. Zorn is a first time head coach. Getting blown away and going 0-fer the preseason is a different thing than doing it with Parcells or Gibbs or an established winning coach.

The only, and best, outcome for a first timer is what happened tonight. We weren't playing pinball against the opposition's defense. We were organized, professional and prepared. The game wasn't too big for the new guy. What you want is for him to be able to be above it all and he was.

Spurrier's Osaka game was an exciting game for us. This game was not that. It was good and nice and we had bright spots, but, for the most part, it gave the feel of a staff that wasn't new to this and that's good when your head coach IS new to that role.

Art comes back, and is still speaking the truth!

:applause:

A win is a win and we all needed something to feel good about. I agree we have to be realistic about our team. But this team has been doing 2 a-days since they opened camp and the proof is in the pudding. That's the difference between those coaches and this one. Zorn has been running these guys ragged and look at the results. We barely had penalties the entire night. As a matter of fact, I don't think we had any offensively. :helmet:

Archived