Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Oh boy, here we go. (simmer down people)

greenmile

Guest sith lord
Do you REALLY think even one Skins fan on this site now thinks we're headed to the Super Bowl?... :doh: Or even the playoffs?...

I wonder about you people, sometimes...

I think we could make the playoffs. :(

I just hate feeling like Zorn may be satisfied right now. That scares me.

I don't get that feeling AT ALL. He is wayyyyy to competitive to be satisfied after one pre-season win. Listening to his pressers, he just sounds like a man on a mission.

What? "That's about it". You realize that we held the 49ers to less than 10 points? That would equate to good defense actually.

It does equate to Osaka because it's the first outing for a first-time NFL head coach. You can't deny the comparison. We looked even better in Osaka perhaps. However, what should be learned from Osaka is that NO STOCK should be taken from this game.

I beg to differ. As I said, Zorn may be a first time NFL HC, but he's not new to the NFL. He knows how things operate at this level. Spurrier did not. He even admitted that when he first took the job & was quite aware that he was not accustomed to playing "exhibition" games. I think you are taking this way too far. Osaka was a different team, different time...different.

What? "That's about it". You realize that we held the 49ers to less than 10 points? That would equate to good defense actually.

Exactly...which means tonight's game was NOTHING like Osaka, in that our defense was pretty average against the Colts. Which was my point.

It does equate to Osaka because it's the first outing for a first-time NFL head coach. You can't deny the comparison. We looked even better in Osaka perhaps. However, what should be learned from Osaka is that NO STOCK should be taken from this game.

To be honest, you sound scared ****less lol...it's like Osaka has made you fearful of ever being optimistic again. And you want to make sure none of us show any optimism, either, or even enjoy the performance.

And what we REALLY should have learned from Osaka is that Spurrier was in over his head from the very first preseason game.

Considering all the doubt about Zorn, our new offense, and whether the QBs would pick it up, I think the excitement is justified.

People arent excited that our QBs had a good game, they are excited that they had a phenominal game. Its true that preseason wins and losses dont mean anything, but when your top 3 QBs go a combined 19-21 for 200+ yards and 3 TDs, with no turnovers, that should be a reason to be excited.

Find one other team this preseason that gets a performance like that. Just one.

"A few"? lol :)...I think that's all our draft picks except Tryon and Davis (and Davis wasn't too shabby). It was weird seeing the majority of our draft picks actually making plays...I'm used to only the first rounders making plays and the rest disappearing.

I didn't want to say our entire draft class since Thomas, Moore and Kelly were out. ;)

But everybody else except Tryon (I felt he struggled) in our class played pretty well and it wasn't just against 4th stringer future CFL/AFL players.....

trying to be at least a little critical, but if these guys keep playing this way we may have a few of these guys make the active roster and not just the Practice Squad (Horton and Jackson looked like possible PSers prior to this game).

Considering all the doubt about Zorn, our new offense, and whether the QBs would pick it up, I think the excitement is justified.

People arent excited that our QBs had a good game, they are excited that they had a phenominal game. Its true that preseason wins and losses dont mean anything, but when your top 3 QBs go a combined 19-21 for 200+ yards and 3 TDs, with no turnovers, that should be a reason to be excited.

Exactly. I think greenmile is taking this the wrong way. I can guarantee that no one is happy just for the fact that we won.

It's the way we won. The way our coaches and players performed.

The game was a good game for the Skins, so we should be happy. Zorn looked good, if we had lost I would hate to see how the press would've laid the pressure on him and said he was moved up to Head Coach too fast. No serious injuries was the best thing I saw. Wish I could have seen Devine throw more passes but at least it looked like Mason could run. The best part was my friends from Indianapolis sitting next to me wishing they could be Redskins fans.

Greenmile,

Losing in the preseason as a first time coach isn't the kiss of death. Winning isn't certain success. Gibbs lost early and then lost in the regular season and he went into the submarine and reinvented himself and the team. And he started to win. The preseason was a sign of the fact what he was doing wasn't going to work, so there, it was accurate. It just didn't predict he'd throw it away and start over as he did.

The point remains, a new coach needs to know how to win and learn how to win. Every win matters. A scrimmage matters. Every single time he gets the taste for winning the better it is for his possible future. Period.

Guest sith lord

The thing that impressed most fans IMO is the fact that we looked prepared. I remember one preseason where we hardly scored and we looked pathetic under Gibbs and the people(myself included)were called chicken littles. Tonight, we looked good and we should be happy about that. Plus, NO MAJOR INJURIES!!!

Yep, exactly...and just for comparison's sake:

Osaka:

26/45

58% completion rate

21 rushes

45 rushing yards

HOF:

19/21

90.5% completion rate

31 rushes

156 rushing yards

I just hate feeling like Zorn may be satisfied right now. That scares me.

Why on EARTH would you think that someone as competitive as Jim Zorn would be satisfied right now? If you bring Spurrier back up, I will not respond to you, for sheer ignorance.

Personally, I feel that Zorn is probably "happy" (for lack of a better term) that things went relatively well. Execution, no injuries, etc.

As far as winning...well, that's where your Spurrier reference goes awry. That's what Spurrier was looking for. That first win. I don't believe that Zorn was looking for that win. If he were, he would have started Portis. Plain & simple. I think he's "happy" that we won, but again, he's not new to this League.

Zorn has a lot of good things to work with & he knows it. But, he also has a lot of work to do & some adjustments to make. I think he knows that too. I don't know why you would feel that Zorn is "satisfied" simply because things went well. I would expect them to go back home & start working on the things they didn't so well & fine-tuning the things they did.

Now, stop the doomsdaying & enjoy the weekend. It was a GREAT one for Skins fans. Stop peeing on it, please. No one wants to talk about Osaka anymore.

Is that a question or a statement?

And how are you defending this stance that Osaka was different than today? You state it but don't give any evidence to how it's different.

I'm not known for my memory, but I remember Spurrier throwing everything at the 49ers but the kitchen sink on offense and ran up the score. He did'nt hold anything back

We ran a very vanilla offense tonight, but ran it efficiently.

I'm encouraged by the teams performance. The only thing we may be able to draw from this is our back-ups are better than the Colts back-ups. But to have better back-ups than a team that won the Super Bowl 2 years ago is saying something. We should be in better shape if we were to lose a starter if these guys continue to impress the way they did tonight.

Let's hope the starters can impress us in the coming weeks like their back-ups did tonight.

To be honest, you sound scared ****less lol...it's like Osaka has made you fearful of ever being optimistic again. And you want to make sure none of us show any optimism, either, or even enjoy the performance.

And what we REALLY should have learned from Osaka is that Spurrier was in over his head from the very first preseason game.

I'm gonna start calling you Hammer, because you NAILED it! Especially the scared ****less part. :laugh: I totally agree.

Guest sith lord
Yep, exactly...and just for comparison's sake:

Osaka:

26/45

58% completion rate

21 rushes

45 rushing yards

HOF:

19/21

90.5% completion rate

31 rushes

156 rushing yards

If my memory serves me correctly, some players were saying that the offense we ran during Spurrier's first pre season wouldn't work when the games actually counted. I don't think anyone would say that this year.

Archived