Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Oh boy, here we go. (simmer down people)

greenmile

It's not the win, it's the general level of organization and "having it together" that the coaches showed.

Plays were getting in on time. No rushing to the line with 3 seconds left on the play clock.

No timeouts because they couldn't get lined up properly. (Did we even use any timeouts today?)

No turnovers.

No lining up with 10 players. Or 12 players. Or 2 guys in motion.

No QB ratings in the low teens.

None of the stuff that you would expect to see in an early preseason game from a first year head coach and new offense.

Of course that doesn't mean we're winning 12 games this year. But so far so good, it could have been a LOT worse tonight, and it definitely exceeded my expectations.

I feel like there is a race some nights to see who can be first to be a wet blanket.

ENJOY WINS! Thats one of the major upsides of being a fan.

I see the opposite of every situation. Like I said before, when the Skins were down and out last year at 5-7, I stood by them and Gibbs like no one else.

And when Zorn beings to fail you guys, I'll be sticking by him through the thick.

So, now when everyone is high, I feel like I should remind you of the depths of sorrows.

That's just how I am.

There's a level of ignornance to the hope we'd have gotten blown away for you to feel better. Zorn is a first time head coach. Getting blown away and going 0-fer the preseason is a different thing than doing it with Parcells or Gibbs or an established winning coach.

The only, and best, outcome for a first timer is what happened tonight. We weren't playing pinball against the opposition's defense. We were organized, professional and prepared. The game wasn't too big for the new guy. What you want is for him to be able to be above it all and he was.

Spurrier's Osaka game was an exciting game for us. This game was not that. It was good and nice and we had bright spots, but, for the most part, it gave the feel of a staff that wasn't new to this and that's good when your head coach IS new to that role.

:applause: :applause:

I know that pre-season isn't supposed to impress or count, but I think the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd string QB's only had 2 incomplete passes. That HAS to make you feel good when we've watched whole seasons of bad passing. It means they're learning something to connect so nicely on so many. It is nice to win and not be totally depressed right out of the gate. I'm not counting on a Super Bowl yet, but every time they win a game it gets more fun and exciting--that's why I watch!!

I see the opposite of every situation. Like I said before, when the Skins were down and out last year at 5-7, I stood by them and Gibbs like no one else.

And when Zorn beings to fail you guys, I'll be sticking by him through the thick.

So, now when everyone is high, I feel like I should remind you of the depths of sorrows.

That's just how I am.

So in other words, you don't think we'll be able to survive the normal ups and downs of following our favorite team without your wisdom and guidance. I, for one, appreciate you trying to save us from ourselves :applause: ...

Just understand, I'm trying to keep things even-keel.

When Zorn goes 0-3 to start the season, I'll be the one on here telling you guys to "simmer down" and see the bright side.

Call me the Equalizer.

And who anointed you as "the equalizer" ??

If you have been reading anything about this years Skins, you would know that there has been some uncertainty, with a new coach, new system, etc.

This game gives fans some idea as to how the Skins will look this year.

Yes, its a preseason game, and yes there is alot of work to do. But we were playing against another NFL team, not a high school or college team. AND it looked like we executed pretty good.

I know some of you think the preseason game doesnt mean much, but I saw some pretty happy Skins players on the sidelines when ever there was a good play made.

Now if we can just find a place kicker..................

Just understand, I'm trying to keep things even-keel.

When Zorn goes 0-3 to start the season, I'll be the one on here telling you guys to "simmer down" and see the bright side.

Call me the Equalizer.

It's kind of difficult to view you as even keeled when you make statements like this...

"When Zorn goes 0-3.."

"And when Zorn beings to fail you guys..."

Don't you mean IF? :doh:

And redskin fans wonder why the other NFC team fans say we always jump the gun. Last week was let not get anyone hurt and hope the offense doesn't look like crap. Now its Superbowl or bust only redskin fans

And redskin fans wonder why the other NFC team fans say we always jump the gun. Last week was let not get anyone hurt and hope the offense doesn't look like crap. Now its Superbowl or bust only redskin fans

Do you REALLY think even one Skins fan on this site now thinks we're headed to the Super Bowl?... :doh: Or even the playoffs?...

I wonder about you people, sometimes...

You can't tell the difference between Osaka and today? Huge win today as far as preseason goes. Sets the tone for the rest of the offseason prep and gives the team a nice boost of confidence. The starters looked sharp, as did some of the rookies.

Give me a break man... If 1,000,000 Skins fans say "We looked good, but it was just a pre-season game" and 1 Skins fan says "We were awesome. Anything less than a SB is a complete failure."...

You and those other NFC fans will be pointing out that one post and trying to paint all Skins fans with it. The vocal minority is loud, but still the minority.

You can't tell the difference between Osaka and today? Huge win today as far as preseason goes. Sets the tone for the rest of the offseason prep and gives the team a nice boost of confidence. The starters looked sharp, as did some of the rookies.

Is that a question or a statement?

And how are you defending this stance that Osaka was different than today? You state it but don't give any evidence to how it's different.

I'm happy about alot of things tonight, but the team will need to do a better job blocking and the D has got to play better as well other than Horton and occasionaly some other D plays for the most part the Colts moved the ball on us too well.

Also coach will need to be more efficient on the 2 minute drill.

But I look at it this way:

a) No serious injuries minor at best

B) we won

c) at times the team really executed

d) a few rookies (Horton, Brennan, Jackson, Brooks and Rinehart) stepped up

and Campbell and others looked pretty sharp out there.

e) The team in all strings didn't look sloppy and made minimal mental mistakes/penalties.

Good start, but this team now needs to build on it. Zorn will......Spurrier didn't/wouldn't.

Bills are next........

Is that a question or a statement?

And how are you defending this stance that Osaka was different than today? You state it but don't give any evidence to how it's different.

How is it the same?

Our offense looked good in both, but that's about it. Every decent outing in preseason does not equate to "Osaka". That's WAY too superficial a comparison.

I don't care how smooth things looked or how promising certain players and/or coaches looked.

Let's not forget 2002 with Spurrier. Anyone remember a 38 - 7 thrashing against the 49ers at Osaka, Japan?

This is different. First, Zorn didn't show the entire playbook with the starters playing 1/2 the game, like Spurrier.

2nd, Spurrier had come from college, Zorn didn't. Judging by tonight's game, Zorn is well aware of the pre-season & knows that these games don't matter where winning is concerned. Spurrier had that lesson learned the hard way.

In a way I kind of wish we just got crushed by the Colts. I'd feel way better about our situation.

Why? You think that losing in pre-season makes things better for us in the regular season? I don't. I don't think winning in pre-season means anything other then a confidence booster for players like Campbell & Brennan. It helps get the team in a rhythm, but we all know that a 5-0 pre-season means absolutely nothing.

What DOES mean something is that we ARE positive & that there were no major or bizarre injuries on EITHER side of the ball. I was glad to see that we had very few penalties, a good rhythm, & we EXECUTED well.

Now, in all that, had we still lost, it would not have bothered me at all. The score meant nothing to me. I'm glad we won. But as you stated, it's pre-season. It means nothing.

I certainly don't wish we had been crushed because that would mean that we are much farther from where we want to be or should be at this stage with all the returning players we have. Had we been crushed, NO ONE here would be happy. Including you.

This is different. First, Zorn didn't show the entire playbook with the starters playing 1/2 the game, like Spurrier.

2nd, Spurrier had come from college, Zorn didn't. Judging by tonight's game, Zorn is well aware of the pre-season & knows that these games don't matter where winning is concerned. Spurrier had that lesson learned the hard way.

Why? You think that losing in pre-season makes things better for us in the regular season? I don't. I don't think winning in pre-season means anything other then a confidence booster for players like Campbell & Brennan. It helps get the team in a rhythm, but we all know that a 5-0 pre-season means absolutely nothing.

What DOES mean something is that we ARE positive & that there were no major or bizarre injuries on EITHER side of the ball. I was glad to see that we had very few penalties, a good rhythm, & we EXECUTED well.

Now, in all that, had we still lost, it would not have bothered me at all. The score meant nothing to me. I'm glad we won. But as you stated, it's pre-season. It means nothing.

I certainly don't wish we had been crushed because that would mean that we are much farther from where we want to be or should be at this stage with all the returning players we have. Had we been crushed, NO ONE here would be happy. Including you.

Exactly :applause:

How is it the same?

Our offense looked good in both, but that's about it. Every decent outing in preseason does not equate to "Osaka". That's WAY too superficial a comparison.

What? "That's about it". You realize that we held the 49ers to less than 10 points? That would equate to good defense actually.

It does equate to Osaka because it's the first outing for a first-time NFL head coach. You can't deny the comparison. We looked even better in Osaka perhaps. However, what should be learned from Osaka is that NO STOCK should be taken from this game.

d) a few rookies (Horton, Brennan, Jackson, Brooks and Rinehart) stepped up

"A few"? lol :)...I think that's all our draft picks except Tryon and Davis (and Davis wasn't too shabby). It was weird seeing the majority of our draft picks actually making plays...I'm used to only the first rounders making plays and the rest disappearing.

Can't we just enjoy a moment once in a while? I'm not saying we're Tampa bound..but goodness...can't we be happy for a preseason game played reasonably well w/a new coach and offense?

Absolutely not! Dammit! How DARE we enjoy anything good this organization does unless it is simply winning the Super Bowl! Because, let's face it. Anything short of that is simply not worth being happy about. :rolleyes:

Had we been crushed, NO ONE here would be happy. Including you.

You're right, I wouldn't be "happy", but I certainly wouldn't be freaking out like probably 90% of people on here.

Art tried to say that you can't compare a first-outing preseason game to a preseason game from a proven coach like Gibbs or Parcels.

So, if that's the case, how do you explain Gibbs initial failure as a coach? If first-outings or beginning success is a "good sign of things to come", then I'm curious how Gibbs turned out so well.

I'm not saying you can never be a successful coach without beginning hardships, but I do think it builds character for more mature and sustained success in the future.

I just hate feeling like Zorn may be satisfied right now. That scares me.

Archived