Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I thought Fred Davis would've been signed by now.

RWJ

So let's lynch the kid for one single act of irresponsibility. Sounds absolutely appropriate.

You'll have to show me where I said we should "lynch the kid", or anything even remotely close to that. I have no problem arguing my own points, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna waste time arguing points I never made.

This has been turned into tabloid fodder on the forums for really no good reason. We have never brought any of our past draft under this type of scrutiny. Didn't we basically forgive and forget Sean Taylor walking out of the rookie symposium? There was hardly any after effect of that. Rookies make stupid mistakes all the time. End of story.

Walking out on the rookie symposium hurts no one except the player who walks out of it. Missing practice, however, hurts the entire team and lets your teammates down. When Sean Taylor showed up late for practice, he was benched the following game.

And if you think that the only transgressions that coaches and GMs consider when signing a new player are the ones that cause them to end up in jail, then you're extremely naive.

Now...notice that nowhere in there did I say we should cut, bench, ban, excommunicate or "lynch" Davis. But I did say that IF the Skins' FO are being a bit cautious with how they put together his contract due to any possible doubts they may have in his maturity and work ethic, I wouldn't be surprised. Try to avoid spinning it into anything else, ok?

You'll have to show me where I said we should "lynch the kid", or anything even remotely close to that. I have no problem arguing my own points, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna waste time arguing points I never made.

Did I ever say you made this statement? Not at all.

Walking out on the rookie symposium hurts no one except the player who walks out of it. Missing practice, however, hurts the entire team and lets your teammates down. When Sean Taylor showed up late for practice, he was benched the following game.

And if you think that the only transgressions that coaches and GMs consider when signing a new player are the ones that cause them to end up in jail, then you're extremely naive.

Now...notice that nowhere in there did I say we should cut, bench, ban, excommunicate or "lynch" Davis. But I did say that IF the Skins' FO are being a bit cautious with how they put together his contract due to any possible doubts they may have in his maturity and work ethic, I wouldn't be surprised. Try to avoid spinning it into anything else, ok?

Missing a symposium not only damages the player but it also brings disrespect to the team and your teammates.

Davis should have been read the riot act and most likely had his ass chewed by the staff as well as the FO. If the coaching staff even feels the need to fine him an NFL paycheck for his indiscretion, I'd not be opposed.

And again, no where did I state that you specifically stated that he should be "cut, bench, ban, excommunicate or lynched".

When you get down to it, as I stated before, NFL contracts all have a behavior clause listed in them now. If there is any hangup with his previous actions in regards to his stupidity at the beginning of rookie camp and his contract negotiations, I am certain it is minor. This is more of a case of players ahead of him not being signed and therefore no set benchmarks for salary yet available.

I hope this gets taken care of before the end of the week, so this nonsense can be put to bed, pun intended. :D

i cant remember exactly the reason so this wont make much sense, but there was some thing that most teams were holding back on signings for rookies for..cant remember what but the skins have signed most of theirs because of us starting training camp early and the deadline is like the day before we start or the day of or something

ediiiiiiiiit found it

The NFLPA notified agents Wednesday to move cautiously on first- and second-round contracts because of a Special Master hearing scheduled for next week involving how to guarantee one-time bonuses with no collective bargaining agreement in 2011. The Redskins were concerned their three second-rounders, including Kelly, could be late for training camp because a decision might come after the team's opening of training camp on July 19.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3483884

Has anyone been personally privy to what happened to Davis when he talked to Zorn et al? If not, speculation about what may have been said and done is a session of self-gratification.

He would be smart to get his contract signed before camp, get into camp and do the work he's paid to do. Right now, he's not paid to do anything.

Same goes with Thomas. I hope they are both in camp, charged up and ready to go and learn to be a Redskin and their role on the team.

[edited to add] Kelly signed his contract and he's a 2nd rounder. Get the rest of them signed up!

I'm thinking you're a closet brokeback fan. :doh:

HARSH! But I agree with you Oldskool, one mess up is nothing to be concerned about. He is very obviously embarrassed and now knows that every little thing he does will be under the microscope. I really don't have high expectations for him though for some reason (being behind Cooley for one, the fact I didn't watch SEC football last year for two) but I think/hope he will surprise me. He apparently has something the coaches really like to have drafted him that high.

HARSH! But I agree with you Oldskool, one mess up is nothing to be concerned about. He is very obviously embarrassed and now knows that every little thing he does will be under the microscope. I really don't have high expectations for him though for some reason (being behind Cooley for one, the fact I didn't watch SEC football last year for two) but I think/hope he will surprise me. He apparently has something the coaches really like to have drafted him that high.

yeah they liked his high value rating they gave him as a first rounder so they grabbed em:doh: oh well i do think if he works hard itll be worth it.. two beast tight ends to watch is always fun.

Did I ever say you made this statement? Not at all.

Then why are you even bothering to ask me the question as if I had?

Missing a symposium not only damages the player but it also brings disrespect to the team and your teammates.

Not even close to how missing a practice does.

Davis should have been read the riot act and most likely had his ass chewed by the staff as well as the FO. If the coaching staff even feels the need to fine him an NFL paycheck for his indiscretion, I'd not be opposed.

But if anyone feels they might consider that same behavior--a behavior that justifies being read the riot act, having his ass chewed by the FO, and fined--in part of the contract negotiations, they're being ridiculous?

And again, no where did I state that you specifically stated that he should be "cut, bench, ban, excommunicate or lynched".

Glad I made sure that was clear lol :)...

When you get down to it, as I stated before, NFL contracts all have a behavior clause listed in them now. If there is any hangup with his previous actions in regards to his stupidity at the beginning of rookie camp and his contract negotiations, I am certain it is minor. This is more of a case of players ahead of him not being signed and therefore no set benchmarks for salary yet available.

I agree with you there...I don't think him not signing has anything to do with how the Skins' FO sees his having overslept. My main argument was with the idea that he's done nothing whatsoever to cause even a hint of possible doubt in the coaches or FO. I think he has, even if the doubt isn't very large or if the Skins don't act on that doubt.

I hope this gets taken care of before the end of the week, so this nonsense can be put to bed, pun intended. :D

Ok, that cracked me up lol!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It's weak and trite. I've seen better Cowboy trolls than you here lately.

Class dismissed.

YOu know Oldskook, like I fool I took offense to you being totally out of line by calling hunterx's and my opinion a "stupid assumption." The discussion was cordial and at least respectful until you did that ... I made the mistake of stooping to your level ... :doh:

a few of us have opinions and assumptions about his actions and I simply stated that the skins just might be proceding with caution when it comes to Davis due to what he pulled not long ago and that is it.

YOu started throwing words into the discussion like "arrest" and phrases like "lynching the kid" and you are accusing me of sensationalism ...?

me, cali and hunter had an opinions and I think they were valid ones, and for some reason you climbed the Book Depository and started blasting people??? :laugh: chill brother.

a few of us have opinions and assumptions about his actions and I simply stated that the skins just might be proceding with caution when it comes to Davis due to what he pulled not long ago and that is it.

comments like this get u blasted. the bold part is just you being an idiot. who are you to say that he was lying when he overslept?

4 more days until camp, 4 more days until camp We can make it! Then the talk will not be of contracts and speculation (and hopefully not of a certain green monster wearing #4) but of what players are actually going to make the team.

I'm betting he'll be signed by then, and then who cares?

We are probably waiting for that meeting to be over before we sign the remaining players. But so is the rest of the league. They were told to be very cautious on how to guarantee the bonuses with the possibility of no CBA in 2011.

They will be signed. No worries.

thank you :laugh:

It is just now hitting me ... he got off is a slap on the hand man. He should have been crushed for that.

What was his excuse??? His roomate was snoring so he went to another room and didn't set his alarm clock?

Dude, had at least 10+ grey goose and cranberries that night ... :silly:

Please provide the link showing he was getting drunk the night before. Otherwise it's all just conjecture.

The Redskins treated him as an adult as they should have. Where is this disrespect that he supposedly has for the coaching staff? Please provide links as right now it seems like this is your opinion only. If so that's fine, but I tend to disagree with you on this one.

So just to check (those people who are saying that Fred was showing a lack of respect for the coaches & players) you've never been late or overslept for work, an appointment, or anything.

Or if you have you're saying that it has been due to a lack of respect ... not becasue you 'just' overslept or was tired.

Remember there is no evidence to suggest he was drunk.

Also look at it from the other side ... maybe we don't sign him because 'he overslept' and he goes to another team and is awesome, I'd be willing to wager that the same people that seem to be suggesting we show caution in signing him would be saying that the FO were idiots for not signing him becasue 'he overslept'.

i cant remember exactly the reason so this wont make much sense, but there was some thing that most teams were holding back on signings for rookies for..cant remember what but the skins have signed most of theirs because of us starting training camp early and the deadline is like the day before we start or the day of or something

ediiiiiiiiit found it

The NFLPA notified agents Wednesday to move cautiously on first- and second-round contracts because of a Special Master hearing scheduled for next week involving how to guarantee one-time bonuses with no collective bargaining agreement in 2011. The Redskins were concerned their three second-rounders, including Kelly, could be late for training camp because a decision might come after the team's opening of training camp on July 19.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3483884

With the NFLPA's thing plus the fact that we are one of the first teams to go to camp, it's not surprising that other teams haven't signed any of their players.

So just to check (those people who are saying that Fred was showing a lack of respect for the coaches & players) you've never been late or overslept for work, an appointment, or anything.

To be honest, no, I have never overslept for work or an important appointment. Actually, I'm far more likely to LOSE sleep the night before any important meeting. I have overslept, but never missed any work due to it.

But the thing is, if I had overslept for work right after being hired--and overslept by 4-5 hours--I would EXPECT my new employers to have some doubts about my reliability...I wouldn't view my actions any differently than I've view Davis' actions.

Remember there is no evidence to suggest he was drunk.

I think the "drunk" speculations are just that...speculations.

Also look at it from the other side ... maybe we don't sign him because 'he overslept' and he goes to another team and is awesome, I'd be willing to wager that the same people that seem to be suggesting we show caution in signing him would be saying that the FO were idiots for not signing him becasue 'he overslept'.

Well, if you want to do that, then look at it from a THIRD side lol...maybe we don't sign him due to oversleeping, he signs somewhere else, and starts having a habit of missing practices due to oversleeping, not setting his clock ahead during the time change, missing the plane, whatever. I'm sure the same people who want to throw caution to the wind now would be saying the FO was smart to not sign him.

"What if" statements always go both ways...

Please provide the link showing he was getting drunk the night before. Otherwise it's all just conjecture.

The Redskins treated him as an adult as they should have. Where is this disrespect that he supposedly has for the coaching staff? Please provide links as right now it seems like this is your opinion only. If so that's fine, but I tend to disagree with you on this one.

You're right, it is conjecture and I probably shouldn't be slinging rumors around about him getting drunk the night before ... cause I don't know.

If you don't think he disrespected the team by not showing up to practice for what ever reason ... well, we just have to agree to disagree.

I still don't think he missed his third NFL practice because he switched rooms to avoid a snoring roomate, then forgot to set his alarm clock, and then overslept.

I have had more two day MONSTER hangovers then I care to remember. And besides being naturally ill due to a virus or physical ailment, there is nothing more incapcitating then a big hangover or just waking up drunk from the night before.

I don't think he missed practice cause he just didn't want to go or because he didn't set his alarm clock ... can't really think of any other reason why this would happen, that's all.

You're right, it is conjecture and I probably shouldn't be slinging rumors around about him getting drunk the night before ... cause I don't know.

If you don't think he disrespected the team by not showing up to practice for what ever reason ... well, we just have to agree to disagree.

I still don't think he missed his third NFL practice because he switched rooms to avoid a snoring roomate, then forgot to set his alarm clock, and then overslept.

I have had more two day MONSTER hangovers then I care to remember. And besides being naturally ill due to a virus or physical ailment, there is nothing more incapcitating then a big hangover or just waking up drunk from the night before.

I don't think he missed practice cause he just didn't want to go or because he didn't set his alarm clock ... can't really think of any other reason why this would happen, that's all.

Personally? I don't quite buy the "I just switched rooms because my noisy roommate wouldn't let me get any sleep, and I forgot to set the alarm clock AND forgot to schedule a wake-up call with the front desk as well as with any of my teammates, and didn't hear my cell phone ringing when people were trying to contact me, and didn't wake up until 11:30 am even though I said I went to bed early" excuse, either lol...

I chalked it up to him having a girl in his room and her not leaving until something like 3:00 am lol :D...I'm not running with it as fact, of course, but just coming up with different scenarios that might best explain Davis' actions. That is, unless he's just one of those people who absolutely HAS to have 8-10 hours of sleep and won't wake up before then no matter what...but even if that's the case, it was still irresponsible of him to not take measures that would guarantee he'd be awake in time to make it to practice when expected.

Personally? I don't quite buy the "I just switched rooms because my noisy roommate wouldn't let me get any sleep, and I forgot to set the alarm clock AND forgot to schedule a wake-up call with the front desk as well as with any of my teammates, and didn't hear my cell phone ringing when people were trying to contact me, and didn't wake up until 11:30 am even though I said I went to bed early" excuse, either lol...

I chalked it up to him having a girl in his room and her not leaving until something like 3:00 am lol :D...I'm not running with it as fact, of course, but just coming up with different scenarios that might best explain Davis' actions. That is, unless he's just one of those people who absolutely HAS to have 8-10 hours of sleep and won't wake up before then no matter what...but even if that's the case, it was still irresponsible of him to not take measures that would guarantee he'd be awake in time to make it to practice when expected.

One thing to remember here, this is not even close to being your everyday first days on the job. It is quite possible he was completely physically exhausted. That makes the over sleeping, without alcohol or a girl, a much more possible scenario.

Regardless, the speculation that there are contract issues for any reason at this point is extremely weak, given the tiny number of second rounders that have signed as of now.

Archived