Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you really think that history will repeat itself....for the 3rd time?

kiingspadee

My answer to the OP, which I believe has been mentioned earlier in this thread, is that neither of the first two occasions happened with a rookie HC; Zorn may wind up one of the greats, but he surely has a learning curve that almost no one at this level can avoid.

If we make the playoffs (a very distinct possibility) I will be very happy with this season. Give the Z man that much, but don't expect much more this season. Next year, however...

HTTR

The other teams had Gibbs coaching them, and those teams had been set for years.

Unless Zorn proves to be the kind of coach that could put anyone at QB or RB and still win because the rest of the team was consistently better prepared and played harder than the competition then I don't see it happening, especially in his first year.

We don't have an Art Monk to keep the chains moving, we dont have a back who gets you the first down every time behind a line that dominates defenses and we don't have a defense that will force 45-50 turnovers.

Sure, we could just get hot at the end of the year like the Giants did last year and the Steelers did in 2005 but that isn't very likely with a first time head coach. I'd expect the opposite where we might catch some teams off guard early on until they figure out how to deal with Zorn's offense and hopefully he isn't another Spurrier where his teams just give up the last 4-5 games every year.

i seriously disagree with that.

while i wont say we are a superbowl team due to the obvious reasons of football starting NEXT! month, we have a LOT more talent then a .500 team. and i do mean a LOT.

this is the best team weve have since dan snyder has taken over the team, :2cents:.

Well, 6-10, 10-6, 5-11, 9-7 = 30-34. We have not been consistant, nor over .500, backing in the playoffs on a wing and a prayer as the #6 seed twice. You could be right, but paper doesn't win SB's and until we win won, I won't get my hopes up.

If history serves correct, We will win in blowout fashion for the 3rd time in a row as well.

That would be nice. How many years has it been since we've been on the winning end of a blowout? SB 26? Sarcasm people. I know someone will say, SF a couple of years ago or Detroit last year. Duh!

It would only be the second time. The first time was not a repeat.

Don't quite get what you mean. The Giants beat Denver, we beat Denver. The Giants beat Buffalo, we beat Buffalo. ????????

Here is the question I have: The last time the Redskins won the Superbowl, were they a sleeper team, or were they like Dallas this season, expected to win it all?

Oh, pick me, pick me Mr. Kotter!! We were a sleeper team. Who knew in 1991 after a 10-6 record in 1990 that we'd be in line for a SB? We were not a preseason favorite in 1991.

Don't quite get what you mean. The Giants beat Denver, we beat Denver. The Giants beat Buffalo, we beat Buffalo. ????????

Right and if it happens again, it will be the second repeating of these events, not the third as the OP said. Get it now?

Oh, pick me, pick me Mr. Kotter!! We were a sleeper team. Who knew in 1991 after a 10-6 record in 1990 that we'd be in line for a SB? We were not a preseason favorite in 1991.

I don't know if you were being sarcastic, but this isn't true at all. 1991 was the year that during the preseason Steve Buckhantz told Gibbs that Playboy had picked us to be in the SB and Gibbs went off on him.

I'm not sure if we were the favorites, but after having been to back-to-back SBs in 1982-3, the NFC Championship in 1986, another SB in '87, and after having back-to-back 10-6 seasons in '89-90, we were anything BUT a sleeper team. Granted, there was a lot of competition in the NFC back then.....the Giants were defending champs but Tuna had just retired (and Handley's decision to go with Hostelter over Simms was probably that team's undoing). The Niners were probably picked as well (although I think early season injuries did them in). The Bears were still OK, and the Eagles were good as well (QB injury affected them). But the Skins pedigree put them right in the mix.......not even comparable to the team we have now.

Yes, this thing has Karma written all over it and for it to happen again would be the stuff of legends. That said, twice is a coincidence and three times is a charm. I'm just not sure we're THAT charmed. Karma has been a rather nutty bedfellow over the past three seasons.

I don't know if you were being sarcastic, but this isn't true at all. 1991 was the year that during the preseason Steve Buckhantz told Gibbs that Playboy had picked us to be in the SB and Gibbs went off on him.

I'm not sure if we were the favorites, but after having been to back-to-back SBs in 1982-3, the NFC Championship in 1986, another SB in '87, and after having back-to-back 10-6 seasons in '89-90, we were anything BUT a sleeper team. Granted, there was a lot of competition in the NFC back then.....the Giants were defending champs but Tuna had just retired (and Handley's decision to go with Hostelter over Simms was probably that team's undoing). The Niners were probably picked as well (although I think early season injuries did them in). The Bears were still OK, and the Eagles were good as well (QB injury affected them). But the Skins pedigree put them right in the mix.......not even comparable to the team we have now.

Without me going back and reading press clippings, there were a few people who picked us to be a contender, but I don't remember alot of the media saying we would go or win it. I think most thought the Bills would roll through the league and be pissed after losing to the Giants. I really don't think alot of people would have predicted 14-2, more like 11-5 possible 12-4. Rypien was still a mediocre QB at the time and was the only one holding us back. I just don't think we were a clear cut favorite to take the NFC.

Rypien was still a mediocre QB at the time and was the only one holding us back.

Rypien was much better than JC currently is.

We also had a phenomenal WR corps. Now we have a spare WR corps that is counting on rookies. Our defense was superior then as well. Our O-line was better as well.

The only think we have on that team is a better tight end and RB.

Rypien was much better than JC currently is.

We also had a phenomenal WR corps. Now we have a spare WR corps that is counting on rookies. Our defense was superior then as well. Our O-line was better as well.

The only think we have on that team is a better tight end and RB.

In 1989 the team was about to give up on him. He had a decent 1990, but they still weren't sold on him becoming an elite QB. His 1991 season was an abberation and still is. Lucky for us though. Seriously, did anyone predict Rypien to be the 2nd best QB statistics wise behind Kelly for the regular season?

In 1989 the team was about to give up on him. He had a decent 1990, but they still weren't sold on him becoming an elite QB. His 1991 season was an abberation and still is. Lucky for us though. Seriously, did anyone predict Rypien to be the 2nd best QB statistics wise behind Kelly for the regular season?

Irrespective of whether not he was an "elite" qb, he certainly was a superior QB to JC at the present moment. JC is a bottom tier QB right now. He might be better in a couple of years. But we are talking about the upcoming season. Rypien was a Pro Bowler in 1991. Does anyone honestly believe there is a snowball's chance in hell JC is a pro bowler next year? Of course not.

Heading into the '91 season, the Redskins were rolling out there:

QB Rypien

RB Byner

WR Clark

WR Monk

WR Sanders

That crew is FAR FAR FAR FAR superior to our current crew. Granted it is arguable whether Portis is better than Byner. But the rest is not even close.

Hogs > current offensive line.

Wilber Mashall, Darrell Green, Charles Mann, Collins, Mayhew... their defense was superior.

In 1990, we were 10-6 and a close second in the NFCE. We were 4th in points in 1990. We had a hall of fame head coach. We had that momentum going into 1991.

In 2007, we were barely 9-7. We were 18th in points in 2007. We lost a hall of fame coach and now have someone who never coached or coordinator a NFL game in his life.

Going into 1991 we were not a 30-1 longshot like we are now.

Irrespective of whether not he was an "elite" qb, he certainly was a superior QB to JC at the present moment. JC is a bottom tier QB right now. He might be better in a couple of years. But we are talking about the upcoming season. Rypien was a Pro Bowler in 1991. Does anyone honestly believe there is a snowball's chance in hell JC is a pro bowler next year? Of course not.

Heading into the '91 season, the Redskins were rolling out there:

QB Rypien

RB Byner

WR Clark

WR Monk

WR Sanders

That crew is FAR FAR FAR FAR superior to our current crew. Granted it is arguable whether Portis is better than Byner. But the rest is not even close.

Hogs > current offensive line.

Wilber Mashall, Darrell Green, Charles Mann, Collins, Mayhew... their defense was superior.

In 1990, we were 10-6 and a close second in the NFCE. We were 4th in points in 1990. We had a hall of fame head coach. We had that momentum going into 1991.

In 2007, we were barely 9-7. We were 18th in points in 2007. We lost a hall of fame coach and now have someone who never coached or coordinator a NFL game in his life.

Going into 1991 we were not a 30-1 longshot like we are now.

I appreciate the comparison, but I stand by my words that we were not the favorite nor the sleeper team. I think the conversation ran askew from the original question from Stew below. I wasn't trying to compare the 1991 team to the 2008 team. I was merely answering his question.

Here is the question I have: The last time the Redskins won the Superbowl, were they a sleeper team, or were they like Dallas this season, expected to win it all?

And I still say we were not a sleeper team nor the prohibitive favorite going into that season. We were good, but not the best. Coming off a 10-6 season doesn't make you a sleeper team. If we were 7-9 or 8-8 and lost some close games, added some players, then maybe we would have been that years sleeper team. We were almost good enough to get in the playoffs in 1990, but no one could forsee a 14-2 team on the horizon for 1991. They considered us close, but we did not sneak up on anyone.

PJ, I think your original response above (in which you say we were a sleeper team) led us astray. I think you meant to say "We were NOT a sleeper team." I think most people going into the '91 season probably had at least the Niners ahead of us, and possibly the Eagles and Giants (although the fact that both teams had new coaches was cause for uncertainty). And I don't think anyone forecasted us at 14-2 either. Having said that, it wasn't a shock to many when we showed up in Minneapolis in Jan 1992.

Archived