Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How to Handle Religious Nuts in the Workplace?

#98QBKiller

Here's the story:

I moved back to the North Carolina coast (where I'm from) from DC and started a new job 3 weeks ago and I love it.

I work in a building with about 1700 employees but my office only has 8 people.

Our office requires private access (blocked off from the rest of the floor) so people talk out loud and we have office-wide conversations (considering there are so few people in this particular office).

There are 2 women in the office here who are hardcore Christians.

They go to church several times a week and make their kids go to all kinds of bible schools and stuff over the summer while they're out of regular school. Now this is all well and good but these people are VERY loud about being such "good" Christians...and they're very loud about it everyday.

They talk **** about people who don't go to church and who aren't religious and do all kinds of preaching inside the office. They talk about how great church was over the weekend and talk out loud about the sermons from the weekend..... just this morning this one dumb lady was talking on and on very LOUDY about how George Carlin's going to hell :rolleyes: and apparently thinks it's funny to make fun of him for dying since he wasn't religious.

All in all, they're not bad people but the day that they ask me if I'm a Christian isn't going to go well.

I'm not a hardcore athiest or anything but I'm simply not a big religious person and they're being irritating as ****. I believe there's a greater being but I don't buy into any specific religion and I don't want to get into a big debate at work but it almost seems inevitable by the way they talk.

I don't even really care if they talk about being Christians once in a while or talk about church but they simply take it too far.

Anyone know about the laws on religion in the workplace? Because for some strange reason I get the feeling that if someone was going on and on about being a Muslim that the company wouldn't tolerate that **** for very long.

I could go to my manager (who's very cool) but her kid goes to one of the bible schools that one of the two women teach so I doubt she would do anything about it but ask them to tone it down and then I have a feeling that I would be ostracized for going to the manager.

Any advice?

Sounds like you need coaching on dealing with insensitive ass-hats, not Christians :)

Don't bathe or brush your teeth for 2 weeks... and eat lots of broccoli and meat... then whenever you hear them bring it up, walk over to their cubicle and get close to them and ask them all about it, breathing on them and dropping sbd's.

Sooner or later they will be classically conditioned, afraid to bring up the topic. You could also time that with a bell that you ring. That way, if they ever do bring it up again, all you have to do is ring the bell and they'll shut up.

Don't bathe or brush your teeth for 2 weeks... and eat lots of broccoli and meat... then whenever you hear them bring it up, walk over to their cubicle and get close to them and ask them all about it, breathing on them and dropping sbd's.

:laugh: Dammit man, I almost spit water all over my monitor.

Here's the story:

I moved back to the North Carolina coast (where I'm from) from DC and started a new job 3 weeks ago and I love it.

I work in a building with about 1700 employees but my office only has 8 people.

Our office requires private access (blocked off from the rest of the floor) so people talk out loud and we have office-wide conversations (considering there are so few people in this particular office).

There are 2 women in the office here who are hardcore Christians.

They go to church several times a week and make their kids go to all kinds of bible schools and stuff over the summer while they're out of regular school. Now this is all well and good but these people are VERY loud about being such "good" Christians...and they're very loud about it everyday.

They talk **** about people who don't go to church and who aren't religious and do all kinds of preaching inside the office.

Sounds like a pride issue (with them). Pride is a deadly sin.:2cents:

They talk about how great church was over the weekend and talk out loud about the sermons from the weekend.....
Nothing wrong with that is there?

I mean if it was a Redskins game they were talking about instead, would it be different?

just this morning this one dumb lady was talking on and on very LOUDY about how George Carlin's going to hell :rolleyes: and apparently thinks it's funny to make fun of him for dying since he wasn't religious.
They shouldn't make fun of him. As a Christian it should sadden them that somebody died without Christ. :(

All in all, they're not bad people but the day that they ask me if I'm a Christian isn't going to go well.
Why?

Just be honest. Tell them no and explain that you would appreciate it if they would consider toning it down and to please not evangelize you.

I'm not a hardcore athiest or anything but I'm simply not a big religious person and they're being irritating as ****. I believe there's a greater being but I don't buy into any specific religion and I don't want to get into a big debate at work but it almost seems inevitable by the way they talk.
Tell them a Christian aquaintence of yours (me) told you that to a Christian, casual conversation about faith while your working is one thing, but that they should remember they are at work, on their company's time, not at church.

Anyone know about the laws on religion in the workplace? Because for some strange reason I get the feeling that if someone was going on and on about being a Muslim that the company wouldn't tolerate that **** for very long.
There are none I believe.
I could go to my manager (who's very cool) but her kid goes to one of the bible schools that one of the two women teach so I doubt she would do anything about it but ask them to tone it down and then I have a feeling that I would be ostracized for going to the manager.

Any advice?

Again, just be up front about how it makes you uncomfortable sometimes and you don't want to argue or debate.

Honesty works best.:)

Sounds like you just don't like what they have to say. I'd say work on focusing on the positive and don't let the other **** get to you. I've had to work with people that share opinions I can't stand openly several times. Keep your head down and focus on what you need to do to get ahead and succeed in life.

Yeah there are many ways to get back at them... but none of it is worth the effort, time, or energy.

Nothing wrong with that is there?

Nope, like I said I don't mind if they talk Christianity but they often take it too far.

I mean if it was a Redskins game they were talking about instead, would it be different?

Of course, but anything can be taken too far/beat to death (in terms of conversation).

They shouldn't make fun of him. As a Christian it should sadden them that somebody died without Christ. :(

And if for nothing else, just out of respect.

Why?

Just be honest. Tell them no and explain that you would appreciate it if they would consider toning it down and to please not evangelize you.

Tell them a Christian aquaintence of yours (me) told you that to a Christian, casual conversation about faith while your working is one thing, but that they should remember they are at work, on their company's time, not at church.

Again, just be up front about how it makes you uncomfortable sometimes and you don't want to argue or debate.

Honesty works best.:)

I agree with you, but again I don't want to be ostracized or turn this into some kind of feud at work. I just want them to tone it down and for us to get on with our work smoothly without having grudges.

I have never gone to HR about anything because I always feel that people can work things out w/o bringing in the "man." But they really dont sound like they are the types who would be willing to listen to your concerns.

My best advice is to just ignore them. Do you really care what they say?

If you cant take it anymore, then I guess HR would be the answer.

This was awesome, I've fart chair switched twice now in a year and a half:laugh:

Haven't done a fart chair switch, but I did fart in the elevator when I thought no one I knew would be getting on. Took it all the way to the first floor where I got off, and my coworker got on. As he described it, another 3 floors up someone else got on and he spent the next 4 floors explaining whoever smelt it dealt it.

Are you sure your company doesn't have specific rules about where people can discuss religion, politics, sexual orientation, etc. Where I work we can't discuss anything related to any of those subjects in the work area or the breakroom if someone else sitting there doesn't want to hear it. And if we do and don't shut up when asked to, that person can go to management and we can be either coached, written-up or fired. I would find out your company rules to be sure.

Are you sure your company doesn't have specific rules about where people can discuss religion, politics, sexual orientation, etc. Where I work we can't discuss anything related to any of those subjects in the work area or the breakroom if someone else sitting there doesn't want to hear it. And if we do and don't shut up when asked to, that person can go to management and we can be either coached, written-up or fired. I would find out your company rules to be sure.

Yep, I'm looking into that this evening if nothing else it's something I should know anyway.

Archived