Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Thomas, Kelly Aim to be a "Dynamic Duo"

morpheusmeyers

I like that they are both seemingly humble. I also like taking the two of them together, when we already have 2 starters. No real pressure to put them under and it sounds like the Vets are really helping them learn the game.

Now, lets see how good they are when they have more than just Smoot back there. Lets see if they can find anything when they have Springs locked down on them. That will be the real test.

Only time will tell. The good thing, especially about Thomas is that he feels he has a lot to prove. Although being a top receiver coming out, because he has had to bust his but so hard just to make the starting lineup at michigan state, I feel he will have a great work ethic and work to be the best.

Kelly seems to have a confidence about him and just loves football. I think I am more sceptical of him only because he is a big time receiver coming out of a program like Oklahoma and worry about his attitude. Although he hasn't done anything other than worry about his 40 time which shows his competitiveness, I don't want another Michael Westbrook. But ther is no denying his talent and I think he will be fine.

Thomas is our future Flanker and may get to see some time at Slot receiver this year but Kelly will most likely be the starting Split-End when Zorn uses the 3 WR package.

It will be a year or three before we see Thomas and Kelly on the field together for an extended period of time.

I agree with you BUT I can see them getting playing time this year because Santana and ARE are already missing time. Cant wait for pre season to see how things sort out. We have a couple options at Split (Kelly/Mix/Davis) also the slot(ARE/Thrash/Thomas), but the flanker is Santana.

Thrash, James WR 6-0 204

Toler, Burl WR 6-218

Thomas, Devin WR 6-1 218

Gant, Horace WR 6-3 218

Kelly, Malcolm WR 6-3 219

Mann, Maurice WR 6-1 190

McMullen, Billy WR 6-4 215

Mix, Anthony WR 6-5 235

Moss, Santana WR 5-10 200

Randle El, Antwaan WR 5-10 190

It's nice reading all these rosy stories during the offseason, but lets be realistic, we'll be lucky if one of them turns out to be good. WR is the hardest position to draft.

Any position is difficult to draft. QB, RB, TE, DE, DT, DBs, those are all positions that are just as hard to draft as WR.

we wouldn't be lucky if one of them turns out good. We'd be lucky if one of them turned out elite. Getting lucky would be getting more than you expected. I expect both of them to be at least good, and potentially very good players for our team.

I really hope these 2 kids are special. The potential is there. As a guy who grew up on Art Monk, Gary Clark and Ricky Sanders I've been yearning for great recevier play and I hope these two are the answer

:cheers: :applause: :cheers: :applause: :cheers: :applause: :cheers:

I agree with you BUT I can see them getting playing time this year because Santana and ARE are already missing time. Cant wait for pre season to see how things sort out. We have a couple options at Split (Kelly/Mix/Davis) also the slot(ARE/Thrash/Thomas), but the flanker is Santana.

Gant, Horace WR 6-3 218

I didnt read carefully and I thought for a second that we had the Goggled Wonder Horace Grant on the squad. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

If history is any guide, we should be thrilled if just one of these guys works out. History defined as the "hit" ratio for early round WRs + our ability to draft well. Don't forget who is throwing them the ball either: A big, fat question mark at QB. These 2 BOTH becoming solid, starting caliber WRs for years to come is pipe dream.

That said, I think a reasonable start would be for one of these guys to catch 600 yards and the other to catch 400 yards.

What struck me about that article wasn't their confidence...it was their work ethic. They both know they have to prove themselves and they are working together to improve each others game. The fact that they knew each other before coming here helps as well.

I cant wait til the season.

I am hoping that they will be able to block downfield well in support of the running game. They both have big bodies compared with SM and ARE and would present a good package once they are up to speed where we can keep the defense guessing as to if we are running (start with that) or play action passing. It only works if they can learn routes and get separation.

The potential is there if we have the QB and WRs in the same offense for multiple years.

Zorn seems like the time who will put his players in positions to achieve, so if one of the rookies is struggling in certain pass paterns it seems logical that the rookie would be in a package that would have him running a go route against the 3rd corner or linebacker.

It would be interesting if 3 years from now our 3 WR set is Thomas, Kelly and Mix with one being elite and the other two very good.

Thrash, James WR 6-0 204

Toler, Burl WR 6-218

Thomas, Devin WR 6-1 218

Gant, Horace WR 6-3 218

Kelly, Malcolm WR 6-3 219

Mann, Maurice WR 6-1 190

McMullen, Billy WR 6-4 215

Mix, Anthony WR 6-5 235

Moss, Santana WR 5-10 200

Randle El, Antwaan WR 5-10 190

Devin Thomas is only 6'1"?? I thought he was 6'3"

The potential is there if we have the QB and WRs in the same offense for multiple years.

Zorn seems like the time who will put his players in positions to achieve, so if one of the rookies is struggling in certain pass paterns it seems logical that the rookie would be in a package that would have him running a go route against the 3rd corner or linebacker.

It would be interesting if 3 years from now our 3 WR set is Thomas, Kelly and Mix with one being elite and the other two very good.

I just hope that, if we are not successfull this year, Zorn and Co. will get another year to work with the team.

I will be very happy if we have a winning record and make the playoffs. If we go 5-11, I'll be upset but not that much.

As I said earlier in this post, only time will tell.

What struck me about that article wasn't their confidence...it was their work ethic. They both know they have to prove themselves and they are working together to improve each others game.

You hit the nail on the head. There are plenty of talented WRs in college but few have the work ethic necessary to succeed in the NFL. I like the fact that Kelly and Devin both came in to Redskin part to run some drills after OTAs were over and before minicamp starts. When other guys are out drinking beer and eating ribs celebrating their entry into the NFL these guys are working.

Kelly was the third pass catcher that the Skins drafted. When you listen to Redskins talk about which rookie has impressed so far, whose name keeps coming up? - Kelly. It's still too early but good vibes so far.

On the other hand, I haven't heard anything positive yet about Davis. I'm hoping that's because as a TE he's getting less press attention than WR - and the expectations are lower because Davis is behind pro-bowler Cooley. Still the second pick ought to be getting some attention.

You hit the nail on the head. There are plenty of talented WRs in college but few have the work ethic necessary to succeed in the NFL. I like the fact that Kelly and Devin both came in to Redskin part to run some drills after OTAs were over and before minicamp starts. When other guys are out drinking beer and eating ribs celebrating their entry into the NFL these guys are working.

Kelly was the third pass catcher that the Skins drafted. When you listen to Redskins talk about which rookie has impressed so far, whose name keeps coming up? - Kelly. It's still too early but good vibes so far.

On the other hand, I haven't heard anything positive yet about Davis. I'm hoping that's because as a TE he's getting less press attention than WR - and the expectations are lower because Davis is behind pro-bowler Cooley. Still the second pick ought to be getting some attention.

Yeah, I've got high hopes for Kelly. If he can put up numbers similar to Dwayne Bowe or Calvin Johnson from last year, I'd be impressed. And whats up with these Redskins fans saying that Calvin Johnson didn't have a good year last year? If we can get 750 and 4 TDs from either of our WRs, it'll probably make me a happy camper (but of corse I'd prefer the almost 1000 yards that Bowe put up).

I remember back when the Redskins where looking at trading for Chad Johnson. I think the draft filled the needs we had for big play receivers, thank God. Now if Kelly and Thomas make it a competition to who is the better of the two. Nothing but positive things can come out of it. Davis was late getting up because of west coast and east coast time differance.

Archived