Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Thomas, Kelly Aim to be a "Dynamic Duo"

morpheusmeyers

Yeah, I've got high hopes for Kelly. If he can put up numbers similar to Dwayne Bowe or Calvin Johnson from last year, I'd be impressed. And whats up with these Redskins fans saying that Calvin Johnson didn't have a good year last year? If we can get 750 and 4 TDs from either of our WRs, it'll probably make me a happy camper (but of corse I'd prefer the almost 1000 yards that Bowe put up).

Very true. We also need to remember that Bowe didn't have a Roy Williams lined up across from him.

Very true. We also need to remember that Bowe didn't have a Roy Williams lined up across from him.

Bowe was on my fantasy team...what a great late draft pick that was :)

But I agree if we get 700 yds and 4-5 td's from either of our rookie receivers I would call that a great rookie year. Especially since it seems like there will be a ton of receivers that could be getting a lot of balls this season (Santana, ARE, Cooley, Thomas, Kelly, and Davis).

I think drafting both of them was a great move. If only one of them turns out to be great, we did well. I love our draft this year. We got some great college players at really good value. We needed one WR, we got two. We have a stud TE, we got another potential one. We picked up the best punter to come out of college in a few years. We got a really good QB that fell because of an injury. And a few other good ones too. Of course, I always like our rookies.
To just gloss over our third round pick, OL Chad Rhinehart to mention our new Punter is just glossing over a whole lot more reason to be excited.

Don't you think?

To just gloss over our third round pick, OL Chad Rhinehart to mention our new Punter is just glossing over a whole lot more reason to be excited.

Don't you think?

You seem to be leaving out Kerry Brown and Andrew Crummey, both who could be valuable additions to our OL. We may have some nice depth this year when the inevitable Thomas or Jansen goes down (I know I shouldn't say inevitable, but I'm growing to expect injuries on the RHS of our line).

You seem to be leaving out Kerry Brown and Andrew Crummey, both who could be valuable additions to our OL. We may have some nice depth this year when the inevitable Thomas or Jansen goes down (I know I shouldn't say inevitable, but I'm growing to expect injuries on the RHS of our line).
I was'nt leaving anyone out. I was discussing our draft. Brown and Crummey were both signed as undrafted freeagents. Were'nt they?

Also, I can definately feel you on why you would be concerned about Jansen. But, why all the concern about Thomas? IMO he might be our best OL.

I was'nt leaving anyone out. I was discussing our draft. Brown and Crummey were both signed as undrafted freeagents. Were'nt they?

Also, I can definately feel you on why you would be concerned about Jansen. But, why all the concern about Thomas? IMO he might be our best OL.

On our OL: I thought you were talking about reasons to get exited. I'm pretty excited we were able to add those three to our rookie class. Whether or not thats what you meant is minute, but point is - I think we have some depth on the OL now.

On the Thomas issue - I'd say that Thomas is probably our second best OL-man, behind Chris Samuels. Just the fact that Samuels has been playing at a steady level for such a long time and hasn't been missing games puts him up there. The thing about Thomas that scares me is that he's missed games in 3 of the last 4 seasons, and a lot of time last year. So I'm not expecting him to stay healthy the entire season. Hopefully we won't see too much of a dropoff when our depth gets tested.

We need to also remember Bowe didn't hurt his back after making a tremendous downfield sideline catch... I'm curious to see if either of these guys slump this year. They're both members of pretty bad teams, so it's likely at least one of them will.

Devin Thomas is only 6'1"?? I thought he was 6'3"

I was confused by this as well. When we drafted these guys i remember reading that Kelly was 6'4" and Thomas was 6'2". Redskins post both of their heights an inch shorter than i thought they were supposed to be. Who knows what athlete's heights are really? Heights and weights are alway inflated a bit.

The potential is there if we have the QB and WRs in the same offense for multiple years.

Zorn seems like the time who will put his players in positions to achieve, so if one of the rookies is struggling in certain pass paterns it seems logical that the rookie would be in a package that would have him running a go route against the 3rd corner or linebacker.

It would be interesting if 3 years from now our 3 WR set is Thomas, Kelly and Mix with one being elite and the other two very good.

One thing I think is important is that no matter how much Zorn talks up Moss or ARE or Thrash, he didn't draft them, so he has no commitment to any of them. Really, he has no commitment to Cooley or Portis either. So I can really see him putting the players on the field who give us the best chance to win the game. If these WRs start to develop qickly, then we may see a change in the lineup sooner than many are expecting. Or if Moss goes down again, he may not get his spot back.

I like how I'm reading stuff about Devin Thomas learning the position of flanker, the same position that Moss is learning. So one thing that could be in his arsenol could be that deep route, which isn't too hard to learn. If he can catch JC's deep balls, then Thomas may just be able to put up some big numbers based on the position he's playing.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/04/10/malcolm-kellys-attitude-is-worse-than-his-40-time/

What will undoubtedly be a deal breaker for many N.F.L. teams is that Kelly reportedly yelled at Oklahoma strength and conditioning coach Jerry Schmidt after his workout, and then told Jake Trotter of The Oklahoman and other members of the media that his slow times were not his fault, but the fault of the coaching and medical staffs at Oklahoma

“Certain people have tried to hold me down, and they know who they are,” Kelly said. “I wouldn’t say the whole OU coaching staff, but certain people, I would say that.”

I hope this isn't true, or there is more to it than just this. But I'm glad to hear he hasn't had attitude problems since he's been here.

• 2 years later...

Archived