Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Thomas, Kelly Aim to be a "Dynamic Duo"

morpheusmeyers

Thomas, Kelly Aim to Be a 'Dynamic Duo'

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

June 17, 2008

As roommates during Redskins OTAs, rookie wide receivers Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly talked about the future from time to time.

Gary-banner2.jpg

They both have great expectations as their NFL careers get underway.

They even see themselves--once established--developing into a "dynamic duo" of the Redskins' offense.

"We talk about it all the time," Kelly said. "Once we get [the offense] down, we feel that's all people are going to be talking about: Devin and me--and what we're going to be able to do. I think we're going to be able to do a lot."

Added Thomas: "We definitely see ourselves doing something like that. We came here for a reason. We both look forward to putting our best foot forward and doing what we have to do on the field."

Confident words.

Thomas and Kelly are not short on confidence, even as they go through a significant learning curve in their first NFL season. They are both on hand at Redskins Park this week as rookies continue to work out in the team's strength and conditioning program.

KellyCatchMiniGETTY1in.jpgMalcolm Kelly (Getty Images) Their development could be one of the keys to the Redskins' 2008 season.

Santana Moss and Antwaan Randle El are expected to be starters at wide receiver.

Both Thomas and Kelly could see significant playing time as third and fourth wide receivers. If they can make an impact, the Redskins' offense instantly becomes more dynamic.

Their biggest challenge? Learning the playbook and running precise routes in Jim Zorn's version of the West Coast offense.

"I had some rookie mistakes [during OTAs] because I'm trying to learn everything," Thomas said. "But I think I'm coming along pretty well."

Said Kelly: "You have to get in and out of your breaks so quick and so exact. The margin for error is very small. You can get adjusted to the speed pretty quick, but you have to be exact on all of your routes."

Moss sees promise in both Thomas and Kelly.

"Some guys come in to the NFL and they panic a lot," Moss said. "They try to go too hard. One of the things I got a chance to talk to Malcolm and Devin about is just doing what they are good at and they will realize that they can catch on easier that way.

"They are both great athletes, so as long as they do what got them here then it shouldn't be hard for them to go out there and make plays."

Entering the draft, the Redskins were looking for wide receivers that had a combination of height and speed.

Thomas, 6-1 and 218 pounds, was the Redskins' first pick of the draft, coming in the second round at No. 34 overall. At Michigan State, Thomas set a school record with 79 receptions for 1,260 yards and eight touchdowns.

Kelly, 6-3 and 219 pounds, was the Redskins' third pick in the second round, at No. 51 overall. He grabbed 49 catches for 821 yards and nine touchdowns at Oklahoma last year.

ThomasMinicampDWin.jpgDevin Thomas (Don Wright Photo) The Redskins had first-round grades on both Thomas and Kelly. They were thought to be among the top wide receivers available in the draft.

As OTAs wrapped up last week, Zorn said he was impressed with Thomas and Kelly.

"They are making great strides in getting to know the offense," Zorn said. "One of the biggest things that I am looking for is how fast they get comfortable with the offense. I can see them thinking about doing the right thing, instead of feeling comfortable as they explode off the line of scrimmage and gain leverage on a defender.

"They are coming out of the break, but it is a little bit mechanical right now. They shine when we go into a one-on-one situation. When there is not a pattern involved, and it's just a one-on-one situation, you can see their speed, their explosion, and their desire to catch the ball."

After one practice, Zorn praised Thomas for his concentration in catching balls in traffic. Later, he praised Kelly for getting a step on cornerbacks and successfully executing a "go route."

Still, Zorn knows that it's difficult for rookie wide receivers to make an impact in their first year in the NFL.

"It is hard for a wide receiver to come into any program, learn a new language basically and try to understand the techniques that particular offensive philosophy encourages and demands," he said. "When a receiver comes in he is getting used to be being a part of a pro team, he is getting a whole new vocabulary, and the only way to play receiver in the league is to play fast.

"The thing that young receivers do well in their first year--if they are great receivers--they will go deep well. Everybody can go deep, but when you are trying to run patterns and when you are trying to use the philosophy of the offense and think on the football field, it gets more difficult."

Thomas said he learned the most working with different quarterbacks and adjusting to how they throw on routes.

He felt comfortable working with Jason Campbell, the expected starter.

"He is cool, calm and collected," Thomas said. "He is a good leader, and I think that goes a long way. He helps me out a lot when I make a mistake by telling me we will get it next time."

Even though Zorn praised Kelly after one practice for beating

Kelly admitted he felt "far off," in terms of playing consistent in the offense.

"The play-calling has been the hardest thing to learn," he said. "You could have a play that sounds exactly the same as another play, but it could be one word in the whole play that's different, and it tells you to do something totally different. You have to go through the playbook every night and really learn it."

The positive is that they're both learning together. It has strengthened their bond. "Always, it's going to be like that, until we're no longer here," Kelly said. "He's like a brother to me."

It's been a long time since I've been this excited about a rookie draft class. While nothing is guaranteed I think we have found two good ones in Thomas and Kelly. And they're TALL!

I am very very excited about them both after reading that. They both seem very into learning everything, and learning it the RIGHT way. They are both comfortable with each other too, and I'm so glad they aren't competing with each other for selfish reasons but instead for the better of them together and to learn the offense together.

Interesting article from Redskins.com. Been a while since I could really say that.

I really like Kelly's comment that he hasn't had a problem adjusting to the speed of the game so far. I like that both WRs realize how difficult their task is and are studying and learning with an apparent fervor, it shows character. We could have guys who instead fall asleep at their locker and don't give it their all, riding on their talent alone ( cough, B Lloyd cough).

I hope it works out well for Thomas and Kelly, but sadly only time will tell.

I absolutely love the fact that we have both of them together. They will support each other, push each other, help each other, but most important of all, compete with each other. I can envision a dynamic duo on offense, premiere players the likes of which we would have, should have had with ST and LL on defense. Each striving to outdo the other every practice and every game. Cant wait.

I absolutely love the fact that we have both of them together. They will support each other, push each other, help each other, but most important of all, compete with each other. I can envision a dynamic duo on offense, premiere players the likes of which we would have, should have had with ST and LL on defense. Each striving to outdo the other every practice and every game. Cant wait.

That would be nice. However, it's going to be hard to get them a nickname as cool as Area 51 was.

I think it's great they were drafted so close together. They seem to have a natural bond in that regard, but also an unstated competition between the two...I like that.

I expect them to be productive players. Hopefully sooner than later. If I had to put $$ on it, I'd say Kelly is going to be the better of the two.

No More pre-nicknames!!!

I swear it's a curse. Let the nick-names come when they produce.

Amen!

I like the confidence ... so far.

We all know they can run a "go", let's see them beat bump and run against NFL caliber CB's.

:helmet: The Rook

Interesting article from Redskins.com. Been a while since I could really say that.

I really like Kelly's comment that he hasn't had a problem adjusting to the speed of the game so far. I like that both WRs realize how difficult their task is and are studying and learning with an apparent fervor, it shows character. We could have guys who instead fall asleep at their locker and don't give it their all, riding on their talent alone ( cough, B Lloyd cough).

I hope it works out well for Thomas and Kelly, but sadly only time will tell.

Gotta love the offseason, because thats really the only logical and solid response anyone can make. Any other response is pure speculation.

I think drafting both of them was a great move. If only one of them turns out to be great, we did well. I love our draft this year. We got some great college players at really good value. We needed one WR, we got two. We have a stud TE, we got another potential one. We picked up the best punter to come out of college in a few years. We got a really good QB that fell because of an injury. And a few other good ones too. Of course, I always like our rookies.

I feel good about this year. Our defense will be great as always. Everyone always says we have DL problems, but they seem to do Ok. GB is a great coordinator, we have great players. Our special teams should be just as good as last year, which was very good, with maybe better punting.

Our offense is where we'll see the difference. A couple of bigger targets for JC. A west coast offense, which JC did very well at in college. Hard nosed running, with maybe a chance to use CP to his strengths in outside runs and in the passing game. Our OL should have its starters back.

All in all, I think we could do very well. But then again, I say that every year. :doh:

Thomas is our future Flanker and may get to see some time at Slot receiver this year but Kelly will most likely be the starting Split-End when Zorn uses the 3 WR package.

It will be a year or three before we see Thomas and Kelly on the field together for an extended period of time.

Thomas is our future Flanker and may get to see some time at Slot receiver this year but Kelly will most likely be the starting Split-End when Zorn uses the 3 WR package.

It will be a year or three before we see Thomas and Kelly on the field together for an extended period of time.

I am not familiar enough with the WCO terminology. Is split end lined up on the TE side and the flanker the outside WR of the two lined up on the other side, or the x position? The x spot is going to Santana, this year, where he has played his most productive football.

I was vehemently against the Kelly pick on draft day, but every single thing I've read about him since then has made me change my mind a little bit more.

I hope all that writing actually correlates to results on the field.

Yup, you can't help but the love the confidence that both have. I tend to think that with the history of SM and Randel El's of getting hurt and not being at 100%. That both Kelly and Thomas might see action sooner than we think. This whole thing will be predicated on how they do in training camp. JZ can work with them on curtain patterns that can be affective during the season. Use their size and speed advantage to in games with a smaller CB covering them.

Archived