Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

City Paper: "Snyder: Hunter, Gatherer, Ruiner"

Horatio

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/columns/cheapseats/

Hunter, Gatherer, Ruiner

Snyder sports a spotty mergers-and-acquisitions record.

Snyder announced last week that the city’s big sports talker—WTEM-AM, better known as Sportstalk 980—was among three radio stations he’s buying. He’s purchased at least eight frequencies, six in this market and two in outer Virginia, in the last two years.

Gaining control of all the Skins broadcast rights and related profits was probably a good business move. There was no powerful station available to purchase, so he is piecing together a network. Although I would prefer one or two strong stations, at least he is attempting to fill the holes.

He founded Snyder Communications in 1988, but the company’s profile didn’t take off until he took it public almost a decade later and used that cash to take over every direct-marketing and pharmaceutical company that would sell out.

Snyder chose to make billions instead of a Nobel prize. Whoopty-do. He was smart enough to ride the wave. How many basher articles do you have to write to buy a NFL team?

At the time, mergers and acquisitions were all the rage in the corporate realm. In 2000, just before the Wall Street boom busted, Snyder sold the whole portfolio in a stock deal for a reported $2.3 billion.

Good timing. Where's the knock there?

His media acquisitions are many and uniformly fruitless. Shortly after taking over the Redskins, he took over Redskins Journal, a long-running Manassas-based fanzine, and it quickly dissolved.

Who cares? Anybody with a internets can start a new one. If it's better, people will come.

In 2005, he acquired Extremeskins.com, at the time an independent fan message board, and made it a part of his team’s Web site. Snyder’s moderators protect him like a Jonas Brothers street team, but the fan base’s dislike for the owner is plain for all to read on the board.

While our Waffen Mods don't seem to dis DS much, they don't quash critical arguments against DS if they are written with at least a 3rd grade mentality and follow the rules.

Snyder also has produced several television shows, which put area TV, newspaper, and radio sportscasters on the payroll of the team they cover. As of 2005, WJLA-TV was the only major-network affiliate in this market not corrupted by Redskins money. Among the big names who’ve taken Redskins money: George Michael, Michael Wilbon, Lindsay Czarniak, and Andy Pollin.

Um, why would anyone want to pay for talent when you can get Larry Michael for minimum wage? I wouldn't classify Wilbon or George as team shills. Riggo either.

Pollin was hired by Snyder in 2003 to host a Sunday-morning TV show for the Redskins Broadcast Network called Redskins Game Day and was viewed as a Snyder suck-up back when he was taking checks from the owner. He’ll be viewed as a suck-up again for as long as he’s back on Snyder’s payroll. (Mark Gray, host of WOL-AM’s Sports Groove, is now the only unconflicted daily sports-talk host in the entire D.C. market.)

That may be a problem if Czaban and Bmitch get fired or change their tune, but how can you blame DS? We'll see.

Look at what a Redskins affiliation has done for Larry Michael, the team’s broadcaster/minister of disinformation: In a recent unscientific popularity poll of local sports media types conducted by Dan Steinberg for his Washington Post “D.C. Sports Bog” blog, Michael finished last in a landslide, with an 18 percent approval rating.

Can't bring myself to argue with that.

Snyder’s failings atop Six Flags have been chronicled comprehensively in these pages, so, for this week, let’s just point out that according to MSN Money’s financial charts, only 10 percent of all stocks traded on the New York Stock Exchange have performed worse than Snyder’s amusement chain’s in the past year.

Six Flags was tanking when DS bought it. At the time, the major value in the stock was land holdings. DS cannot be fully blamed for the economic and real estate crashes. And DS was on break and not operating the ride that whacked that little girls foot.

Snyder, remember, tried becoming a local sports mogul right away: In 2000, just as he was putting his people in place at Redskins Park, he bought up the local franchise rights from the Arena Football League. He also filed for federal trademark protections in March of that year for a name for the team: Washington Warriors.

Then…nothing.

So he had second thoughts about a business idea and did not follow through. What's your point? The guy is a failure?

He’s wanted to go Hollywood, also, but that campaign hasn’t gotten off the ground, either.

Creepy as he is, Cruise is a proven box office draw. DS made the deal after MI, and probably saw dollar signs. There may be some little man syndrome comraderie behind the scenes. Who knows. Who cares. He hasn't adopted or championed scientology. He did let JG's religious values influence the team, but Cruise has not held any OTA Zeta seminars for the team to my knowlege.

Snyder’s first shot at the Golden Globes was a debacle. The writer’s strike turned the show into a souped-up press conference and earned the lowest TV ratings in the history of the event.

I too blame that SOB Snyder for the writers strike. The problems in Zimbabwe too.

Just a couple weeks after he announced he’d taken over, the chain’s Georgetown store, its most visible local outlet, was shut down by the city for health code violations including “failure to reduce the presence of rodents” and “operating with gross unsanitary conditions that may endanger public health.”

Yes, within 2 weeks the restaurant's sanitation went to hell and the rats moved in. Right. Did the place get cleaned up? Is it now more sanitary than before the purchase?

Johnny Rodents, anybody?

Shi**y Paper anyone?

Having said that, I would bet there are 3-5 posters on here that are paid by Snyder.

Pretty silly comment. First of all, there are enough posters on here who are supportive of the organization that Snyder doesn't need to pay a few extra people to say the same things a lot of people are already saying. That doesn't make any sense.

Secondly, most of the people on here who are the most ardent supporters of the organization have been around since before the acquisition of Extremeskins by the Redskins, so anyone you're referring to would have to have joined after the acquisition. The people you'd most suspect of being "paid" are most likely people who pre-date the team's formal involvement with Extremeskins. So basically you're dealing in wild speculation about something you know nothing about.

Pretty silly comment. First of all, there are enough posters on here who are supportive of the organization that Snyder doesn't need to pay a few extra people to say the same things a lot of people are already saying. That doesn't make any sense.

Secondly, most of the people on here who are the most ardent supporters of the organization have been around since before the acquisition of Extremeskins by the Redskins, so anyone you're referring to would have to have joined after the acquisition. The people you'd most suspect of being "paid" are most likely people who pre-date the team's formal involvement with Extremeskins. So basically you're dealing in wild speculation about something you know nothing about.

Not silly at all. If I owned the team, was attacked in the media and viewed unfavorably by my potential customers, I would consider doing the same.

Smart business.

im still hazy (and most likely always will be) whether or not mods get paid. last time i remembered asking this i was informed they were compensated in free stuff like trips with the team and rooms on the road and passes to the box, etc.

whether or not thats what MCD5 is referring to, i dont know. but im assuming the mods dont work for nothing.

zoony, i was running out right when you called me an idiot.

i hope youre aware i dont think you guys ban people for bashing snyder. ive never been banned for it and i do it all the time. i was merely clarifying that the guy who wrote the article feels that you guys do ban people for the snyder bashing.

And for the record BLC, I called you an idiot because few posters on this site have been more critical of Snyder over the years than me.

So when I read a statement like "the mods are paid to protect Snyder" or anything similar, frankly it leave me no other choice than to call a spade a spade.

And I could also link you to posts by other moderators as well, it's not just me.

Not silly at all. If I owned the team, was attacked in the media and viewed unfavorably by my potential customers, I would consider doing the same.

Smart business.

If there weren't already plenty of people on this board who are supportive of the organization, that would be one thing. But that's not the case. Snyder doesn't need to pay a few more people to say the exact things many people on here are already saying. So yes, it is silly.

im still hazy (and most likely always will be) whether or not mods get paid. last time i remembered asking this i was informed they were compensated in free stuff like trips with the team and rooms on the road and passes to the box, etc.

whether or not thats what MCD5 is referring to, i dont know. but im assuming the mods dont work for nothing.

Definitely NOT what he was referring to. Here's what he said:

Just little minions, secretaries or paper pushers that he pays an extra $100 a week, to come on during their lunch break to support the team.

And I could also link you to posts by other moderators as well, it's not just me.

I don't think most media folks realize that there has been a bit of a changing of the guard here.

Like I said before, the opinion of ES in the press is probably 75 percent the result of Art's interactions with, well, everyone. While he was never exactly a Snyder-backer as a mod, he was such a relentless attack dog that it often came across that way. Die Hard posted an interesting comment to one of McKenna's articles a while back about this phenomenom.

20 percent is probably a result of Om's pollyanna-esque writings that occasionally got quoted in the mainstream.

And 5 percent is me and my constant cheerleading for the team.

And for the record BLC, I called you an idiot because few posters on this site have been more critical of Snyder over the years than me.

So when I read a statement like "the mods are paid to protect Snyder" or anything similar, frankly it leave me no other choice than to call a spade a spade.

im aware youve been critical, ive seen your posts, and again, i dont think the mods are in anyway supposed to do that. i was merely pointing out to califan that this writer indeed does feel that way.

]']What upsets me most about this article is that they're trying to tell everyone what we believe. The majority doesn't hate or dislike Snyder. I wouldn't say the majority adore him either' date=' but we hardly hate him.

[/quote']

For what it's worth, these were posted earlier in the thread. Two polls with the question Do you approve of the job Snyder is doing...somewhat akin to Do you like him, I guess.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=4450

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=4399

From these it appears the majority quite clearly dislike Snyder.

I don't think most media folks realize that there has been a bit of a changing of the guard here.

Like I said before' date=' the opinion of ES in the press is probably 75 percent the result of Art's interactions with, well, everyone. While he was never exactly a Snyder-backer as a mod, he was such a relentless attack dog that it often came across that way. Die Hard posted an interesting comment to one of McKenna's articles a while back about this phenomenom.

20 percent is probably a result of Om's pollyanna-esque writings that occasionally got quoted in the mainstream.

And 5 percent is me and my constant cheerleading for the team.[/quote']

this is spot on as well. om and art were both perceived this way, not TK or zoony or whoever else is mod here (frankly i dont even know cause art and om were the most vocal and regular of the mods).

and i remember that die hard thread, very interesting stuff that guy always posted.

If there weren't already plenty of people on this board who are supportive of the organization, that would be one thing. But that's not the case. Snyder doesn't need to pay a few more people to say the exact things many people on here are already saying. So yes, it is silly.

There haven't been "plenty of people" supporting the guy.

After Cincy rejected yet another trade away the farm idea for CJ, the vitriol has lessened.

But it was rabid here prior to that.

So no, not silly. Very smart to have started that a year ago.

The Haters keep hating it seems. He has not been the best but he puts his money where his mouth is and always tries to buy us a winner. Even with all the crap, I honestly feel that he wants to win so bad, he has just gone about it in a big splash way which has not worked out....

Question for folks that have lived here a long time. Did JKC get as much trash in the paper about him, in the years the skins sucked?

For what it's worth, these were posted earlier in the thread. Two polls with the question Do you approve of the job Snyder is doing...somewhat akin to Do you like him, I guess.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=4450

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=4399

From these it appears the majority quite clearly dislike Snyder.

The first poll was 50.7 disapprove, 49.3 approve/undecided.

The second poll was created during the head coach search, and all anyone did in that thread was complain about continuity and assume not hiring Gregg Williams meant there wouldn't be continuity. Also, sometimes people can vote multiple times on those polls, and given how disproportionate that poll was, and the circumstances of the time, it doesn't seem that poll is a true representation. If you don't believe me, start a poll now and see what the results are.

My point being, Snyder's approval rating is entirely dependant on what is going on with the team and what the team has/is doing during the season at that time. If you started a poll at the end of the 2006 season, and one at the end of the 2005 season, I'd bet a lot of money the results would be wildly different.

There haven't been "plenty of people" supporting the guy.

After Cincy rejected yet another trade away the farm idea for CJ, the vitriol has lessened.

But it was rabid here prior to that.

So no, not silly. Very smart to have started that a year ago.

So how much is Betts paying you to come on here and support him?

No offense, but as a moderator you should not resort to name calling. Just my opinion.
Personal attacks or threats will not be tolerated. Go after the idea, not the poster. Free debate within the parameters outlined herein is welcome on these forums, and diversity of opinion lies at the heart of a good debate. Toward that end, every member is free to have their own opinion so long as it is expressed in a civil manner, is within the subject matter topic of the forum and does not otherwise violate forum rules.

For the benefit of a very few individuals who believe the second paragraph of this rule is not at all connected with the first, we have deemed it necessary to provide direction. The specifics of this rule require you do not violate any of the parameters clearly laid out in paragraph 1 of this rule, which govern the application of enforcement for the entire rule. And as you debate your fellow members, we request you maintain contact with the content of the discussion within each reply, regardless of how heated it may become. We, again, point to Rule 18 we have not enforced here in some time. Please follow the rules. And please appreciate the people who wrote them know them.

This post brought to you by Papa Johns, Official Pizza of YOUR WASHINGTON REDSKINS

I like Dan Snyder. And no I am not being factecious. I think if I was him, and knowing the way I am, I'd have my finger prints all over the team, and use all my extra cash to buy up businesses to make more cash

I certainly would not buy the Washington City Paper, however

Archived