Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

City Paper: "Snyder: Hunter, Gatherer, Ruiner"

Horatio

What bet did you gain that sig on...was it a game?

No, in the middle of last offseason....actually, just about a year ago, I bet about thirteen different posters that Betts would have more rushing yards than Portis last season.

I really thought that the coaching staff would start him in at least one of the games near the beginning of last season after his performance the season before....and if given that chance, that it would be impossible to take him off the field again.

The loser had to keep the sig below until the end of this upcoming season. So hopefully I will have it until late January.

In 2005, he acquired Extremeskins.com, at the time an independent fan message board, and made it a part of his team’s Web site. Snyder’s moderators protect him like a Jonas Brothers street team, but the fan base’s dislike for the owner is plain for all to read on the board.

I guess any press is good press...

Are the Mods in here, "Snyder’s moderators", as reffered to?:silly:

Maybe the fact that you aren't protecting him with a vengance, is the reason we can't get new avatars:laugh:

Anybody who bashes Snyder is OK with me. As I have written before, I never will forgive Mr. Cooke for not keeping the team in the family.

I doubt a dead man cares about your approval. No disrespect to Mr. Cooke in regards to his death, but instead of hating Snyder because the prior owner didn't want to hand the business over to his kid (who couldn't afford the team anyways), why not hate Snyder for what he's done? He's made more than enough mistakes to be hated for them, as compared to unjust reasons.

And call me young, stupid, or even a n00b, but I'd rather have Snyder than anybody else who was in the market of purchasing the Skins after Cooke's untimely death.

Anybody who bashes Snyder is OK with me. As I have written before, I never will forgive Mr. Cooke for not keeping the team in the family.
Well where the hell were you to not be sending John Kent Cooke some millions and helping him seal the deal with the Redskins and the NFL? I'm sure he would have appreciated your time and effort and money. Your blame lies with Jack Kent Cooke himself and the NFL - not Daniel Snyder.

At least get your facts straight. :doh:

• 4 months later...

Well, Six Flags is actually on its way to being in the black this year, but questions loom about their ability to refinance their debt.

The stock is now worth 26 cents and is facing being delisted from the New York stock Exchange. It's down 86% from when this thread was created alone. In comparison, the Dow Jones is down 32% in the same time period. Ouch.

Well, Six Flags is actually on its way to being in the black this year, but questions loom about their ability to refinance their debt.

The stock is now worth 26 cents and is facing being delisted from the New York stock Exchange. It's down 86% from when this thread was created alone. In comparison, the Dow Jones is down 32% in the same time period. Ouch.

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find many people around here who give a crap about this. In fact, I can't think of too many people who would even care enough to look this information up.

I don't know Dan Snyder personally or how he truly conducts things..but from a business standpoint...if you have the money you take shots, chances, and invest in a lot of things...you don't make it big playing it safe or conservative. Many times those ventures don't work out, you cut your losses and move on. For all of the failed ones there are successes that work out as well. It's like taking game wining shots, you miss several but you make some too...but unless you take that shot who knows.

• 4 months later...
What they did here, is anything but a sign of confidence. You can get 5-6% in a FDIC insured cd......or Six Flags will promise to pay you 12.5% if you lend them money.

I guess you're right in hindsight.

Even though it was obvious to anyone knowledgeable at the time that refinancing their debt in such a way was anything but a good move, or a sign of coming good times. :doh:

But the City Paper wants to have it both ways, to be able to contradict themselves at will, as long as they think it helps their Snyder-bashing cause.

nah, they just want to be read

you print anything to get a response when desperate :hysterical:

Just a couple weeks after he announced he’d taken over, the chain’s Georgetown store, its most visible local outlet, was shut down by the city for health code violations including “failure to reduce the presence of rodents” and “operating with gross unsanitary conditions that may endanger public health.”

A report on WTOP radio said the inspectors were tipped off by “gnawed hamburger rolls.”

Johnny Rodents, anybody?

WITHIN 2 WEEKS

:secret: uh probably why it was SOLD, ...... poor management by the previous owners.... which takes longer than 2 weeks to correct

as if Snyder was actually planning on fipping burgers in that restaurant :hysterical:

It most likely was done because of something called "death spiral financing."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_spiral_financing

Fascinating concept, undertaken by the worst companies in the country.

Now, I haven't done enough work looking through their books to see if they participate in it, but this smells of it.

CHTR, SIRI and ISON are the three most well-known culprits of it.

Basically, they finance the company and promise to meet certain milestones.

If they don't hit those milestones by specific dates, in this case hypothetically, when the bonds are due--they face immediate ramifications.

Usually dilution.

That then becomes a snowball effect, and eventually drives a company into bankruptcy.

Since this has been bumped, in the interest of helping people improve their financial futures, I would google that term I listed above, and avoid investments in any such company in the future.

From the time I posted that above, Six Flags, Charter Communications, Sirius satellite and Isonics have all since declared bankruptcy, or are days/weeks away from doing so.

None of these companies, nor their stocks, were ever supposed to go up in the first place. Of course, they never tell the investors that.

These companies were all virtually guaranteed to go into bankruptcy from the start.

Hopefully this helps someone save a fortune in the future.

I guess you're right in hindsight.

Even though it was obvious to anyone knowledgeable at the time that refinancing their debt in such a way was anything but a good move, or a sign of coming good times. :doh:

Well, not everyone has experience with investments. God knows there are a ton of subjects I know nothing about.

Hopefully people learn from this, and can now understand what Dan was doing.

And hopefully it saves someone money in the future.

God job by you too, recognizing it. Impressive for someone your age.

• 2 months later...
Well it looks like Six Flags is filing for bankruptcy.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/06/13/six.flags.bankruptcy/index.html

I think Six Flags was kind of in a mess when he bought the company. Maybe he didn't save them. Maybe he made some of the problems worse. The major downturn in the economy certainly didn't help.

But I don't think one can say he was totally or even mostly at fault for "ruining" Six Flags.

Archived