Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

City Paper: "Snyder: Hunter, Gatherer, Ruiner"

Horatio

BLC, I am a "noob" around here, but DS has gotten a lot of love this off-season (onExtremeSkins, no where else). For the first time ever, because of the FO moves, or lack of IMO...:applause:

:cheers:

agreed, i think the snyder bashing has been down because our draft looked good. but aside from the last few months in a bubble, the general feeling on snyder usually leans toward "not good".

if somebody got banned for criticizing snyder, wouldnt that prove his point that the mods protect him like a jonas brothers fan club?

You can NOT say "someone got banned from ES for criticizing Snyder" and then turn around and say "the fan's criticism of Snyder is on display for all to see on his message board" lol :doh:...if the latter is true, then the former can NOT be true. In fact, that was the argument ESers were making in response to their article, that if they just visited Extremeskins they'd see that the claim that criticizing Snyder gets you banned is utter bull****. From what they're saying now in this article they're agreeing with us, although back then they were hurling insults and claiming we were delusional.

But the City Paper wants to have it both ways, to be able to contradict themselves at will, as long as they think it helps their Snyder-bashing cause.

No...I meant there was an article in the City Paper about a month or so ago saying that an ES member got banned for criticizing Snyder.

Thats probably the member's take on it. The mods take on it is probably something like too many personal insults, too much troll like activity, too little attention to the rules, etc. Sure a guy can come out and bash extremeskins, but a real reporter would look for the story behind the quotes.

And just for history's sake, I've been a big basher of Snyder and the FO for quite a while, but the 2007 season and the following offseason kinda changed my mind - at least temporarily. I had a sig saying how I was a lackluster fan due to Dan Snyder and he follows it up by having what could be one of the best offseasons since he's owned the team. Maybe he got lucky, but maybe he's learning.

And no, the mods didn't threaten to ban me if I didn't stop bashing Snyder and Vinny.

Still its just a reminder, of what we all know in some way or form, that Snyder at the end of the day is a Carnival Barker and would send us ,the Skins and probaly Vinny down the Potomac River in a heart beat.

Because of their reputation...it's not like balanced, objective journalism has been their forte'. They salivate at the chance to rip Snyder and the Redskins, so an article like this tends to just be "more of the same", regardless if it's sprinkled with facts.

As well as, they seem to know very little about economics and business...they feel that if a profit does not immediately materialize, then the whole thing is a failure. Take the comments about the movie "Valkyrie"...they act like 1) successful studios never have flops, 2) that having a flop means the producing venture is a failure, and 3) that pushing a movie back is unheard of unless the movie is a complete and dismal failure as well. None of these are true...yet the City Paper runs with it gleefully, because it fits their template and fits their agenda. Anyone--ANYONE--thinking they're getting unbiased journalism from this rag is smoking something illegal or just plain naive.

i would assume if something was "sprinkled with facts" it makes it a little believable, but oh well.

and to your points about the movie, obviously successful studios have flops, its inevitable. but i would also assume that no successful company started out with a 100 million dollar flop. usually theres some success, then failure, then success and so on. i think his point was that its been a failure off the bat, just as he obviously sees snyders other ventures, which he used facts and numbers to argue for it.

and ill agree they like jabbing snyder, a lot of the media does because of how he treats the media in general. hes just not a likable guy with his reputation and he doesnt help his reputation ever. and i think all of that is related to why articles like this come out.

Thats probably the member's take on it. The mods take on it is probably something like too many personal insults, too much troll like activity, too little attention to the rules, etc. Sure a guy can come out and bash extremeskins, but a real reporter would look for the story behind the quotes.

My point, though, was that City Paper took the member's opinion and ran with it as if irrefutible fact that didn't EVEN need to be checked into.

agreed, i think the snyder bashing has been down because our draft looked good. but aside from the last few months in a bubble, the general feeling on snyder usually leans toward "not good".

:yes: Yeah, I just meant that DS gets kicked around pretty good here, so if the Mods are supposed to keep DS from getting "roasted", they are not doing such a good job...:laugh:

not exactly...the compliments have been passed Vinny's way.....as in...he kept "Danny" at bay.

either way...I would just like one, ultimate person of accountability.

i bet if someone started a poll, over 60% of people here would claim they didnt like dan snyder.

Until you run that test, its just a belief. I mean I could say that "If I were to ask these Redskins naysayers who they like better the Redskins or the Cowboys, 90% of them would say the Cowboys", but that doesn't make it true. Neither does your estimation of the outcome of a poll make it true.

Until you run that test, its just a belief. I mean I could say that "If I were to ask these Redskins naysayers who they like better the Redskins or the Cowboys, 90% of them would say the Cowboys", but that doesn't make it true. Neither does your estimation of the outcome of a poll make it true.

or that the results on this board would be truthful/accurate.

You can NOT say "someone got banned from ES for criticizing Snyder" and then turn around and say "the fan's criticism of Snyder is on display for all to see on his message board" lol :doh:...if the latter is true, then the former can NOT be true. In fact, that was the argument ESers were making in response to their article, that if they just visited Extremeskins they'd see that the claim that criticizing Snyder gets you banned is utter bull****. From what they're saying now in this article they're agreeing with us, although back then they were hurling insults and claiming we were delusional.

But the City Paper wants to have it both ways, to be able to contradict themselves at will, as long as they think it helps their Snyder-bashing cause.

i see what you mean, and i remember that article being way overblown and stupid. however, fans being critical of snyder are all over this board and i would agree with the current article, its on display for all to see.

i would assume if something was "sprinkled with facts" it makes it a little believable, but oh well.

It may make it "a little believable" but it doesn't hide the agenda...which is what people seem to be attacking.

and to your points about the movie, obviously successful studios have flops, its inevitable. but i would also assume that no successful company started out with a 100 million dollar flop.

You don't know much about the movie business, obviously lol...Trust me, all sorts of Hollywood types start up production companies and pool their resources, and start out with multimillion dollar flops. If you're serious about this type of venture, though, you NEVER think "oh, ****, our first movie flopped...we're doomed".

Besides, you can recoup a helluva lot of production costs through overseas sales and especially DVD sales. Release delays hardly tell the whole story.

usually theres some success, then failure, then success and so on.

Actually, the reality of business is that 95% of the time there is failure, then more failure, then even more failure, then a little more failure, then a slight amount of success, then more failure. If you end up being successful, it's because you weathered the failures, improved your product or service, determined what was causing the failures, and finally struck gold.

i think his point was that its been a failure off the bat, just as he obviously sees snyders other ventures, which he used facts and numbers to argue for it.

Again, Snyder's joint movie production venture is anything but a failure off the bat...it's only a failure if you couldn't afford the money that was invested in your initial movie outing and it's box office failure left you bankrupt. Trust me, between Cruise and Snyder alone that's not gonna happen lol...

and ill agree they like jabbing snyder, a lot of the media does because of how he treats the media in general. hes just not a likable guy with his reputation and he doesnt help his reputation ever. and i think all of that is related to why articles like this come out.

I think that's a rather immature and unprofessional reason to take jabs at the man. But that's just me.

Look you Snyder employees , we know your on this board. Fess up theres nothing wrong with defending the man who signs your paycheck. Is Dans avatar really SuperFan? Vinny I already know "Whoa you see that! or Bug Eye" for short, Larry must be "Coffee Getter or Sonny,Sam & Gopher".

My point, though, was that City Paper took the member's opinion and ran with it as if irrefutible fact that didn't EVEN need to be checked into.

OK, I've got to admit that I don't read City Paper, so if they had another article about the Redskins (or Extremeskins), then I missed it. But I don't look for stories that I agree with or disagree with. I just like to be able to see that the reporter did his/her job in writing a good story. And in my opinion, this is just not a good story.

i see what you mean, and i remember that article being way overblown and stupid. however, fans being critical of snyder are all over this board and i would agree with the current article, its on display for all to see.

To me, it's a sign of shoddy and unprofessional journalism to contradict yourself that blatantly. It would just make me roll my eyes even more at future articles they put out, no matter what stance they took, positive or negative. I do the same with JLC for the exact same damn reason...because he'll contradict himself and not blink an eye while doing so. So when he runs fluff pieces about the Skins I just roll my eyes.

I have zero desire to give City Paper any validity.

OK, I've got to admit that I don't read City Paper, so if they had another article about the Redskins (or Extremeskins), then I missed it. But I don't look for stories that I agree with or disagree with. I just like to be able to see that the reporter did his/her job in writing a good story. And in my opinion, this is just not a good story.

I agree, it's not a good story, at all...

however, fans being critical of snyder are all over this board and i would agree with the current article, its on display for all to see.

That's just it. This has always been the case. Yet publications like the City Paper and even a lot of ignorant posters on this board constantly suggest that the Extremeskins moderators police people's thoughts and suppress dissent. Yet the City Paper, of all outlets, debunks its own theory by acknowledging that "the fan base’s dislike for the owner is plain for all to read on the board."

In fact, the following quote from the article is a contradiction in and of itself. Which is it, do the mods protect Snyder, or do they allow dissent to be "plain for all to read"? You can't have it both ways.

"Snyder’s moderators protect him like a Jonas Brothers street team, but the fan base’s dislike for the owner is plain for all to read on the board."

It may make it "a little believable" but it doesn't hide the agenda...which is what people seem to be attacking..

well regardless of the agenda, everything written in theres seems logical and believable (sans the you get banned for bashing snyder comment)

You don't know much about the movie business, obviously lol...Trust me, all sorts of Hollywood types start up production companies and pool their resources, and start out with multimillion dollar flops. If you're serious about this type of venture, though, you NEVER think "oh, ****, our first movie flopped...we're doomed".

youre treating his movie company like a baby startup company started by two kids in their basement. this is a multi million dollar affair hes engaging in with HUGE name actors and ENORMOUS amounts of money. if hes not successful right off the bat (due to all his resources, connections, business acumen) itll be a failure in my opinion. and lets be honest, do you really see dan as the kind of guy thats willing to "roll with the punches" in order to be successful? i dont, but thats just my opinion.

Besides, you can recoup a helluva lot of production costs through overseas sales and especially DVD sales. Release delays hardly tell the whole story.

youre getting way too deep into this. fine he can recoup his money selling dvds to china. it will be a failure if a 100 million dollar movie flops off the bat for the reasons i listed above. and maybe in 10 years we can bump this thread to see how it really turned out.

Actually, the reality of business is that 95% of the time there is failure, then more failure, then even more failure, then a little more failure, then a slight amount of success, then more failure. If you end up being successful, it's because you weathered the failures, improved your product or service, determined what was causing the failures, and finally struck gold.

im well aware of the risks dealing with starting a business. most are failures, which again, it seems as though all of dans have been sans his original ventures and the redskins (which financially havent been, but w-l wise, has been a failure). you really think a 40 year old billionare wants to "weather the failures"?? dude is trying to make bank, and make it quick. he isnt in this for the long run. again, my opinion, but oh well.

Again, Snyder's joint movie production venture is anything but a failure off the bat...it's only a failure if you couldn't afford the money that was invested in your initial movie outing and it's box office failure left you bankrupt. Trust me, between Cruise and Snyder alone that's not gonna happen lol....

losing 100 million isnt a success regardless of how much money you have. again, i dont feel like getting into "what makes a successful movie company" debates cause frankly i dont care.

I think that's a rather immature and unprofessional reason to take jabs at the man. But that's just me.

you dont think snyder acts immature when hes one of the few owners who wont give interviews and hides like a recluse even though hes the owner of one of the biggest sports franchises in the world? id say thats pretty unprofessional and immature, but again, thats my opinion. if i owned a sports franchise id be speaking with the public and projecting an image of a guy who cares about that image, not a shrewd midget business man that wont give interviews and comes off as cold, and incites articles like the one in discussion.

That's just it. This has always been the case. Yet publications like the City Paper and even a lot of ignorant posters on this board constantly suggest that the Extremeskins moderators police people's thoughts and suppress dissent. Yet the City Paper, of all outlets, debunks its own theory by acknowledging that "the fan base’s dislike for the owner is plain for all to read on the board."

In fact, the following quote from the article is a contradiction in and of itself. Which is it, do the mods protect Snyder, or do they allow dissent to be "plain for all to read"? You can't have it both ways.

Thank you!! :applause: ...It's so damn frustrating to see the obvious contradiction, and also see Skins fans more than willing to overlook it because, hey, it's a dig at Snyder so that's enough.

I kind of agree with you but unless I am not mistaken ( and I often am) Snyder has nothing to do with Valkyre, it is a Merrill Lynch backed film and the reason Snyder is credited as an executive producer is because it started life as a Snyder/Cruise/Wagner production .

I also like the fact that the origional article points out that 6 flags is headed towards bankrupsy - Six flags has been heading that way since back in 2005 before Snyder took over ...and it does take time to turn something as debt ridden and enterainment based as 6 flags around ...

...we also know Dan Snyder was behind the writters stirke that made the Golden Globes the flop it was because afterall he is EVIL....

The trademark issue is just a cheapshot. I do trademark work and intent-to-use applications get extended all the time. Sometimes they get abandoned if the product isn't ready for market. It's not like Snyder was going to put an arena team together just to keep a trademark application alive.

Archived