Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ranking the offensive line CBS Pete Prisco

bedlamVR

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10851305

Okay so it appears you can rank the offensive line . Pete Prisco thinks the boys are the best and the Skins by far the worst in the NFCE. Randy Thomas our best player .... No love for Samuels ?

Washington Redskins

Best player: RG Randy Thomas. Weak link: C Casey Rabach.

The skinny: The Redskins line was hurt last season when Jon Jansen was lost for all but one game with an injury and Thomas missed most of the season. If Jansen and left tackle Chris Samuels can stay on the field, the Redskins have a solid line. Thomas and Pete Kendall give them two veteran guards who get the job done. They have some quality depth in Jason Fabini and Stephen Heyer, two players forced to start last season because of the injuries to Thomas and Jansen.

Rating: 16

Philadelphia Eagles

Best player: RG Shawn Andrews. Weak link: LG Todd Herremans.

The skinny: This was the unit that helped the Eagles to the playoffs in 2006. But it didn't play as well last season, giving up 49 sacks after 29 the year before. Andrews was clearly the best of the group, but the others didn't play as well as they did in 2006. Tackles Tra Thomas and Jon Runyan are getting up in years, and that's a concern. Center Jamaal Jackson needs to play better.

Rating: 9

New York Giants

Best player: RG Chris Snee. Weak link: LG Rich Seubert.

The skinny: The Giants' line exceeded expectations last season, especially the tackles. Right tackle Kareem McKenzie and left tackle David Diehl played good football in the Super Bowl run. Center Shaun O'Hara is underrated. Snee is a Pro Bowl player who hasn't gone yet, while Seubert is a fighter.

Rating: 7

Dallas Cowboys

Best player: C Andre Gurode. Weak link: LG Kyle Kosier.

The skinny: This is an outstanding line from tackle to tackle. Picking out a weak line is tough, but Kosier is the choice. Gurode and right guard Leonard Davis are both coming off outstanding seasons. It will be interesting to see how left tackle Flozell Adams plays with his new contract.

Rating: 1

he's got 1 and 4 reversed :laugh:

even if he argued about Jansen's and Thomas' both coming off injury.... the Giants are still better than the pokes by a large margin.

If Jansen and left tackle Chris Samuels can stay on the field, the Redskins have a solid line.

Samuels? when has he missed time? :doh:

How anyone could have Minnesota at anything but #1 simply astounds me.

As for us, when all five starters are healthy, we can go toe-to-toe with anyone in the division. The problem is that first part.

Thats just a dumb list and poor research as well.

As Bubba said when did Samuels become an injury concern? Rabach the weak link?

Ranking us below the Eagles is the thing that stands out as well they were just about last in the NFL last season in sacks allowed per pass attempt.

If we can stay healthy we will be fine up front and we have some depth as well.

I didnt understand about the inury comment to samuels. I get the feeling that this guy does research by looking at the roster of the pro bowl and the cowboys website.

I also couldnt figure out how that center from dallas made the pro bowl or how he gets os much hype. Everyone talks about how Tony Romo sits to pee is a scrambler but he isnt scrambling he is running around when the center snaps the ball over his head or fumbles the exchange. Thats not good scrambling or center play, i dont care how many people he and leonard davis can block when wedged between their collective 650 lbs if you cant get the ball to the QB you are not a good center. period.

Ditto the health comments but they also seem to take a bit of time to adapt to new offenses. All the other teams in the NFC East don't have this issue so off the bat, the skins have a disadvantage. Hopefully, it doesn't take as long to build the cohesiveness required to win this time around.

I didnt understand about the inury comment to samuels. I get the feeling that this guy does research by looking at the roster of the pro bowl and the cowboys website.

I also couldnt figure out how that center from dallas made the pro bowl or how he gets os much hype. Everyone talks about how Tony Romo sits to pee is a scrambler but he isnt scrambling he is running around when the center snaps the ball over his head or fumbles the exchange. Thats not good scrambling or center play, i dont care how many people he and leonard davis can block when wedged between their collective 650 lbs if you cant get the ball to the QB you are not a good center. period.

I think it is simply namre recognition when you get to Probowl voting . Gourde doesn't play that well his blitz rekognition skills leave something to be desired his ball handling skills are debatable but on the other hand he was the guy who got stomped on by Albert Haynesworth so that makes him pro bowl caliber.

Thing is could you tell me the starting center for 5 other teams without looking .

I have Jeff Saturday : Colts, Orlin Krutz (sp?) : Bears, Jamaal Jackson : Eagles, errrr.... Andre Gourde :Cowboys...

Ditto the health comments but they also seem to take a bit of time to adapt to new offenses. All the other teams in the NFC East don't have this issue so off the bat, the skins have a disadvantage. Hopefully, it doesn't take as long to build the cohesiveness required to win this time around.

Don't forget the running game is being left unchanged - same blocking, same terminology, everything.

The pass game will be significantly different though and it might take a while to learn the new scheme in terms of blocking technique (more cut blocks to get DE's hands down for the quicker shorter routes) and blitz pick ups. However the quicker temp and getting the ball out of Jasons hands quicker should also help take some pressure off in terms of pass protection.

I don't understand how he says Samuels needs to stay on the field. They guy simply is out on the field week in and week out. The line is starting to get up there in age, but I think they still have a season or two left in them as a unit. It's important to draft for depth and replacement of starters, but the Skins line is in good shape.

I would not say they are 16th overall, nor would I say top 5. Top ten? Yea maybe, but at the least they are in the top half of the league. ( top 15 or better)

I swear to God, there needs to be some sort of football IQ test instituted for sports writers.

Some of these people right the most asinine things without doing any type of research whatsoever. If he wants to put Dallas #1 because, essentially, they have a bunch of Pro-Bowlers, then how come Chris Samuels (a perennial Pro-Bowler), isn't our best lineman?

If you're going to write stupid things for stupid reasons, at least use the same logic across the board.

Got to give credit to Dallas though for one thing, last season the Skins looked at Leonard Davis as I recall first -- they took a pass. The Cowboys looked at him next and signed him.

Granted he didn't come cheap for them. But he was a pro bowler and I got a football preview magazine that ranks him as the 2nd best guard in the league now.

I recall some on the board mocking that signing by the Boys along with Hamlin and Hamlin too was a pro-bowler last season. So they did strike gold in FA.

Nonetheless, I do think this guy is underrating the Skins O'line. Rabach is a decent center. Thomas is a stud of a guard. Samuels is a constant pro bowler. Rabach and Kendall are decent.

Jansen is a wild card to me, he was once good but he was up and down his last healthy season -- remember the Parcells comment about him not being the same player? And now is older and coming off a major injury.

Rabach is not "the weak link" Not by a long shot

This o-line probably has 2008 as its last year together. And we will see if Rienhart can supplant Kendall (dont' be surprised if he does, guards can be found in the 3rd round)

Certainly much better then number 16, when fully healthy. We saw that in 2006

Prisco is a Skins hater. We are not middle of the pack. Jansen is the weak link but everyone else on the line is above-average (Kendall and Rabach) or Pro Bowl caliber (Thomas and Samuels)

he's not even saying that we're middle of the pack. he's saying we are worst in the NFC, so that doesn't even include the AFC ratings. yes we lack depth, but our starters are solid and i think that we should be top 10 in the NFC easily.

Archived