Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins Sign Safety Stuart Schweigert, Cut Ryan Wallace

TK

If you all thought Archuleta was a mistake, you're going to really hate this move.
Archuletta named his price, and we paid it. I'd say this guy makes a little over vet min, that is if he even makes the team. Hardly a comparable deal here.

With AA, we paid for a Ferarri and got a Yugo. With SS, we are only dropping the blue book on a used Hundai.

That makes two FA signings of Safties in a week. We all know that Landry is the man but it makes you wonder if the coaches are really behind Doughty to get a starting job?

I don't think you can go into the year without competition in place for Doughty. He's just not that good of a player.

I might write to Mr. Blache suggesting LL at FS

Laron Landry is a no brainer pro bowler

SS is not even close to the same speed or skill as LL at FS

Because I believe that FS is the more important position, I vote LL

SS was bashed for his coverage skills, that can be much less of a liability at Strong Safety

SS should play SS

I still think it should be SS at FS, and LL at SS. I also think LFB should stay at MLB, and AC at DE. I like PD at LDE given his size, but I really like CG and AM at DT. I really like AM in the AM too, can you imagine waking up to AM in an alley.

Also, I love me some FS, but he's just not big enough to play FS. He's a pure CC. CR is probably our RC, and SS, not SS, is our LC with FS at NC.

So, in the end, its SS at LC, CR at RC, FS at NC, LL at SS, and SS at FS... all being led by LFB at MLB.

I still think it should be SS at FS, and LL at SS. I also think LFB should stay at MLB, and AC at DE. I like PD at LDE given his size, but I really like CG and AM at DT. I really like AM in the AM too, can you imagine waking up to AM in an alley.

Also, I love me some FS, but he's just not big enough to play FS. He's a pure CC. CR is probably our RC, and SS, not SS, is our LC with FS at NC.

So, in the end, its SS at LC, CR at RC, FS at NC, LL at SS, and SS at FS... all being led by LFB at MLB.

:laugh: lol

By signing this guy, we now have good veteran depth behind Doughty and Landry. I don't expect him to beat out Doughty for the starting position, but he'll give him good competition and be a good special teamer.

Funny, I don't see people making that comparison about Doughty. Perhaps people compare Schweigert to Archuleta because they both come in at bad angles.

AA was an in the box safety who couldnt cover to save his life. SS is a ball hawk who apparently isnt great in run support. If SS was black theres no way that comparison gets made. No big deal, it's just funny.

Archuletta named his price, and we paid it. I'd say this guy makes a little over vet min, that is if he even makes the team. Hardly a comparable deal here.

With AA, we paid for a Ferarri and got a Yugo. With SS, we are only dropping the blue book on a used Hundai.

I wasn't making the comparison based on the finances of the deal. I was making it based on the fact that neither are very good players.

I wasn't making the comparison based on the finances of the deal. I was making it based on the fact that neither are very good players.
Just pointing out that if the guy doesn't work out or something better comes along, we are out nothing and there is no residual damage from a worse case scenario.

Besides, it seemed GW purposely put AA in situations where he knew he would get burned. Both are gone now. Maybe we can find some quality depth with this guy if he is coached and used properly. Can't hurt to try when guys are that cheap.

] Besides, it seemed GW purposely put AA in situations where he knew he would get burned. Both are gone now. Maybe we can find some quality depth with this guy if he is coached and used properly. Can't hurt to try when guys are that cheap.
I don't know if GW did it on purpose. IMO: GW played his defense off the ball, which would leave AA to have to take angles based on that, which he just wasn't good at (ok - not just 'not good - terrible) to begin with. He'd end up overcompensating and letting plays get past him. I'm not defending AA - he just plain stunk up the joint - and that was compounded by the position he was put in.

I don't know if GW did it on purpose. IMO: GW played his defense off the ball, which would leave AA to have to take angles based on that, which he just wasn't good at (ok - not just 'not good - terrible) to begin with. He'd end up overcompensating and letting plays get past him. I'm not defending AA - he just plain stunk up the joint - and that was compounded by the position he was put in.
No excuse for GW with AA. AA never showed good coverage skills anywhere. GW knew that when he got him and made him the highest paid safety in history. He must have figured that he knew a way to coach up AA there, or could alter his system so a reciever could not isolate him. AA was exploited from the beginning. By week 3, Chapter 1 of every OC's game plan was to work on AA. Even the stupid ones. What did GW do to compensate? Nothing. Not a god damn thing. He stood on the sidelines with his arms crossed, and continued to try to pound a square peg in a round hole. Play after play. Week after week.

The first couple weeks I blamed AA. After that, it was clear where the problem was. Even JG had the sense to get Lloyd off the field.

Fox is a FS and last time I checked, we had no depth behind Doughty. Unless you include the guy that was out of football all last year. So, they might try him at both spots, but we need some depth at SS.

cheers.gif

I'm sure Stu will back up both spots, b/c he was a FS he'll likely back-up Landry. He'll be good depth either way, normally a FS can play both free and strong. We're thin at both FS/SS with Landry (FS), Reed (SS), and Fox injured (SS) as the only safeties on the roster with actually NFL experience.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/players/playerpage/303361

http://www.nfl.com/players/vernonfox/profile?id=FOX725424

:cheers:

cheers.gif

Someone started a thread a week or so ago about looking at this guy. He's relatively young, has good size, and has some starting experience in his 4 years with the Raiders. He seemed to be a whipping boy for Raider Nation fans, lots of whom blamed him for missed tackles and getting burned in coverage. Still, this looks like a decent offseason move.

Yea I live in the SF Bay area and I'm forced into watching Raiders games and I would see him play all last season. He's really not all that great. He's good on special teams though. He gets burned a lot in coverage but he's loved by the media because he always interviews after the games. After any game he would be the player they would interview. It was weird.

I expected this signing sooner than this since his release. Seems like a suitable SS compliment to Landry. He can help in the box and cover the flats and good tackler from what ive seen. He lacks top end speed to keep up with receivers , but will let Landry do that coverage . I like the acquisition , good quality depth and can do some work on Special Teams. This off-season seems to be a success with some good quality non-costly acquisitions.

Because he's horrible.

I've seen just about every Raiders game while Stewie was with them, and aside from a couple good games, he's atrocious at tackling. Average RBs make him whiff, and he gets run over a lot. He has suspect coverage skills as well.

This is an awful signing. If you all thought Archuleta was a mistake, you're going to really hate this move.

Archuleta was a huge mistake because he sucked, was expected to be a starter and we paid him a ridiculous amount of money. Schweigert isn't expected to be a starter and we didn't give him a crap load of money. If he sucks we cut him, something we couldn't do we Archuleta because of his contract. We need depth at safety and he provides some, its not like there are any Superstar safeties available.

hes a SS, hes not a coverage guy. neither is doughty. hes a great in the box saftey who racks up tackles. he definitely helps our run D out and will gave landry more space to roam center field like taylor once did. hes also good for depth, and hes cheap.

there isnt a downside to this move.

He was listed and I believed playe as a FS in both College and at the Raiders. In his interview piece on Sportsline he says he was told by the Redskins that Landry is moving back to SS and he has a shot at starting at FS for us.

However in the next paragraph Blache says that he has not decided yet of Landry will play strong or free.

No idea if this guy is a player or not but bringing an extra body with some startinge experience can not hurt.

Extra competition for the second safety spot can only be a good thing - the boy clearly has some skills, so if we can use him in the right way, then we might suceed, if we do an archuleta, and use him in the wrong way, then at least we haven't paid stupid money for him.

Archived