Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins Sign Safety Stuart Schweigert, Cut Ryan Wallace

TK

Per Larry's breaking news video on Redskins.com

Stuart Schweigert is a former 3rd round pick of the Raiders. He had 69 tackles & 2 INTs last year for the Raiders.

Height: 6-2

Weight: 210

Born: 6/21/1981 Saginaw , MI

College: Purdue

Experience: 5th season

High School: Heritage HS [saginaw, MI]

Someone started a thread a week or so ago about looking at this guy. He's relatively young, has good size, and has some starting experience in his 4 years with the Raiders. He seemed to be a whipping boy for Raider Nation fans, lots of whom blamed him for missed tackles and getting burned in coverage. Still, this looks like a decent offseason move.

Someone started a thread a week or so ago about looking at this guy. He's relatively young, has good size, and has some starting experience in his 4 years with the Raiders. He seemed to be a whipping boy for Raider Nation fans, lots of whom blamed him for missed tackles and getting burned in coverage. Still, this looks like a decent offseason move.

Sounds like we just replaced Pearson P

Good move....the guy's not spectacular but he has started a bunch of games.

Makes sense with Landry in his 2nd year, doughty in his 3rd, plus the two rookies and Vernon Fox. Add another veteran to the mix and things will sort out this summer.

I just talked to my friend, who is a Bronco's fan and had to watch his team face him twice a year. While he may be a little biased, he told me that he's an above average tackler, but is a huge liability in coverage. We'll probably end up using this guy in short or goalline situations and on running downs.

I wouldn't expect much of this... he can't cover and there's just too many offensive sets and match up problems for FS or SS that can't cover... the whole SS in the box is all but done... roy williams, AA, are just a couple of examples of players who didn't all of a sudden get worse, their weaknesses were just exposed by the progression of the NFL game... I look at it as nothing but a lack of depth we are facing and would be happily surprised if I am wrong..

I just talked to my friend, who is a Bronco's fan and had to watch his team face him twice a year. While he may be a little biased, he told me that he's an above average tackler, but is a huge liability in coverage. We'll probably end up using this guy in short or goalline situations and on running downs.

Sounds like Arch. Does he have a Playmate too? :D

Anyone have any info on why/how he lost his starting job with the Raiders?

I really like Doughty. I thought he did well last year... I'd like to see us continue to develop him

from the raider fans I know they say he took poor angles and allowed to many deep plays while playing FS.

The knock on him was he wasn't strong enough to be a force against the run,and tackle violent RB's 1-1. That got compounded when Oaklands front 7 was garbage against the run and they had RB's running into the secondary at full speed so the DB's are put into a very iffy situation from the get go.His fellow safety and high 1st round pick Michael Huff hasn't played well either(rumor the raiders wanted to trade him).Huff and Schweigert were plagued with missed tackles.

when benched Scweigert supposedly got pissed,and the guy the raiders replaced him with didn't play any better.

the raiders did have a very good pass D in 2007 allowing only a QB rating of 78.9 and picking off more passes than TD's allowed (17-18)

Oakland has alot invested in it's secondary and some feel like Schweigert was made to be the scapegoat.

I'd say he's worth a look,I doubt he's going to burst out and be great but placed in the right situation he might be a solid role player.

I wouldn't expect much of this... he can't cover and there's just too many offensive sets and match up problems for FS or SS that can't cover... the whole SS in the box is all but done... roy williams, AA, are just a couple of examples of players who didn't all of a sudden get worse, their weaknesses were just exposed by the progression of the NFL game... I look at it as nothing but a lack of depth we are facing and would be happily surprised if I am wrong..

those guys you mentioned have horrible coverage skills which is why there game doesn't work anymore.

troy polamalu plays almost exclusively in the box but is able to survive because he has good man-man cover skills and is decent in short-medium zones.

not to mention the NFL is turning is more of a passing league with every year that passes so that extra S in the box isn't needed that much anymore every down.

Who on the raider defense didn't get torched the last two years?

Archived