Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins Sign Safety Stuart Schweigert, Cut Ryan Wallace

TK

This guy had a ton of potential coming out of college and from the sounds of it is just a victim of being on an awful Oakland team. Even though their pass defense ranked well it should be noted that the Raiders D was close to last in the league in points allowed last year.

Hopefully a change of scenery will do Schweigert a world of good and bring back a lot of the potential he had a few years ago.

Great signing, puts a little damper on the Giants signing of Wynn. :doh:

It sounded as if the Raiders were asking him to do things that didn't play to his strengths. Maybe he can thrive in a different system.

Eh, he could be good depth and possibly play special teams. He doesn't seem to impressive to me, but going on what we currently have, Im glad we signed him. He definately cannot cover 1 on 1, but he's a smart player who should be better here than he was on the Raiders.

And Im sure he has something to prove, so he should at least push Doughty in camp.

For Depth??? How much depth do they need? They have 7 safties on the roster and this newest signing makes it #8. This tells me the coaching staff has not found anybody yet to replace ST. If this new guy was signed to be a starter or for depth why did'nt they drop one of the safties? As of right now they are going to have to cut 3 or 4 of them to get down to 53.

I doubt we ever find anyone to REPLACE ST. But I see your point. I like the signing though. Not like we paid him 40 mil over 7 years or anything. If he sucks for us, we cut him. Enough said. I like this move, and think he will contribute.

Hmm, how many games did they win in 06, 07? How many of those games did they get blown out?

You can have a low ranked pass defense due to teams running the ball to control the clock after they have already hung 14 points on someone. Rankings are not everything...

You let me know..

I didn't realize that a poor run defense was directly correlated to how regularly a DB gets burned. I could have sworn pass defense would have been a better indicator of how well a team defends the pass, but what do I know.

That makes two FA signings of Safties in a week. We all know that Landry is the man but it makes you wonder if the coaches are really behind Doughty to get a starting job?

I've been saying that all along. Reed is not the answer. The coaches know this. Im hoping Schweigert can make the transition over to SS. He had two productive years in Oakland.

I've been saying that all along. Reed is not the answer. The coaches know this. Im hoping Schweigert can make the transition over to SS. He had two productive years in Oakland.

3, 2, 1............Here come the Reed bandwagon boys to the rescue! I've also felt the same way but time will tell how right or wrong we are!

This just in from Stuart Schweigert at OTA's today, JLC blog:

New safety Stuart Schweigert said he figures he'll play mostly free safety here and said he chose Washington over other suitors because of the chance to push for a starting job and the fact the Redskins were a playoff team last year. Schweigert was also hapy to be out of Oakland, where he lost his starting job midway through the season and went through a bevy of coaching changes.

"I feel like a 1,000-pound bear has been lifted off my chest," Schweigert said of being in Washington.

hhmmmmmmmmmm! Don't slip up Reed!

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

My memory tells me that Schweigert is NOT an in the box safety, and is actually more of a centerfield type. He played FS at Oakland, and I expect the same here.

When he came out of Purdue, he was one of the fastest safeties in the draft, and was seen as a ballhawk more than anything.

Also, his espn scouting page confirms that he is considered a centerfield type, and not great against the run.

Broncos fans are not the sharpest tools in the shed.

This just in from Stuart Schweigert at OTA's today, JLC blog:

New safety Stuart Schweigert said he figures he'll play mostly free safety here and said he chose Washington over other suitors because of the chance to push for a starting job

Wow well regardless of the fact that this may be Schweigert's own speculation/hope, I do wonder if a strong preseason from this guy could win him the starting job. It's not like Reed is an entrenched starter or anything. The guy couldn't even find the field until tradgedy struck.

Edit: Well, it says he's expecting FS...soooo maybe he'll be LaRon's backup? unless LaRon is back to SS? And I thought this dude was SS at Oakland? Im confused :(....

Wow well regardless of the fact that this may be Schweigert's own speculation/hope, I do wonder if a strong preseason from this guy could win him the starting job. It's not like Reed is an entrenched starter or anything. The guy couldn't even find the field until tradgedy struck.

Edit: Well, it says he's expecting FS...soooo maybe he'll be LaRon's backup? unless LaRon is back to SS? And I thought this dude was SS at Oakland? Im confused :(....

I see this idea that Schweigert is a SS and not a FS got started by someone in this thread... This isnt accurate.

He was actually dropped from Oakland because he wasn't a good enough RUN defender.

This guy is an adequate starting free safety. I think Laron probably is more of a SS himself, given his size. But lets be honest, there isnt a huge difference between SS and FS.

Vinny continues to impress. Who knows if he will start or just be a back-up, but he is young enough to still have upside, and is fairly talented. Most importantly, what player wouldn't do better once they escape the Raiders?

You look at Erasmus, this guy, they are the types of players we could easily have spent draft picks on, but are acquiring for nothing or picks so low they are bargains, and it is encouraging to see our FO acquiring talent with such intelligence and frugality.

Whether Erasmus or this guy work out, you like to see a front office being so saavy.

And if he starts, our secondary is LL & SS.

Archived