Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins Sign Safety Stuart Schweigert, Cut Ryan Wallace

TK

He's better in coverage where he can use his speed. He was excellent at FS when he got the chance at the end of the season. I think he was pretty ordinary at SS last year. I think he's a decent blitzer, but it's not like he was setting the world in fire getting to the QB. Good in run support, but not great. That and his natural position is FS, not SS.

He's better in coverage where he can use his speed. He was excellent at FS when he got the chance at the end of the season. I think he was pretty ordinary at SS last year. I think he's a decent blitzer, but it's not like he was setting the world in fire getting to the QB. Good in run support, but not great. That and his natural position is FS, not SS.

Where are we coming up with his natural position is FS, not SS?

To be honest, when we drafted him, we envisioned him as a SS, did we not? I'm pretty sure the FS role was filled at the time, and the Skins saw Landry as the STRONG safety of the future.

To be honest, when we drafted him, we envisioned him as a SS, did we not? I'm pretty sure the FS role was filled at the time, and the Skins saw Landry as the STRONG safety of the future.

Right but you have to admit one of the reasons why you thought of him as a SS is because Sean was a perfect FS.

Cool quote in your sig by the way.

Because he was the best FS coming out of college, which is where he played.

"LaRon Landry may be the best pure free safety in the nation right now. His coverage skills in center field are virtually second to none, and he hits surprisingly hard for his light size. He's also one of the few safety prospects in recent years who is a total ball hawk, flowing to the ball and the play better than the majority of defenders in the nation."

http://football.about.com/od/nationalfootballleague/p/laronlandry.htm

"LaRon Landry may be the best pure free safety in the nation right now. His coverage skills in center field are virtually second to none, and he hits surprisingly hard for his light size. He's also one of the few safety prospects in recent years who is a total ball hawk, flowing to the ball and the play better than the majority of defenders in the nation."

Don't want to totally disparage your site there... but Laron is not 6'2'' 187.

you don't have to be playing FS to be playing centerfield

see darren sharper of the vikings. sharper is a career SS but makes interceptions all the time when playing centerfield.

Greg Blache made it very clear that Schweigert is a free safety in his interview on Redskins.com. He mentioned his ball hawking skills. So if he ever starts Landry is going to be at SS.

They'd be stupid to switch LaRon back to SS. Couldn't hurt having both LaRon and Stu on the field on a cover 2.

The FO seems to be making prudent moves this off season. This move long with the Erasmus James signing are both no risk moves with a great potential upside. Schweigert was able to start for one of the better pass defenses in the league playing against his strengths. For the most part he played effectively. At worse he is a back up and at best he is a solid to good starter.

I think this is how it's gonna go down

unless one player fixes their weakness both are going to get a solid amount of snaps barring catastrophic suckage or injury.

Doughty and Schweigert are almost exact opposites as role players,schwigert gets snaps on passing downs,and doughty comes in on run situations,and the better overall player is the "starter". you might play a pass heavy team like indy one week,and the vikings the next who'd like run the ball down your throat.

doughty is an in the box SS who may have some potential to play as a normal/conventional SS down the line if his coverage abilities improve

Schweigert is a coverage FS who has some inconsistencies in his tackling.

if Doughty shows well at SS or is decent and Schwigert sucks, no brainer that laron landry is playing FS.

if Schwigert plays well at FS or looks decent and Doughty plays horrible,you're probably going to see Schwigert in a coverage FS role,and LL at SS.

keep in mind alot of the people here make a snap judgment about SS and think they don't play coverage at all and spend all there time in the box. which isn't true. Laron may have made 2 picks against seattle from FS,but he dropped just as many if not more playing SS. I remember the int. he dropped in the MNF eagles game on that deep pass,that was painful.

he was 4th in safties for solo tackles in 06, and he got released cause huff is going to start now.

this guy isnt going to be the savior of our team, but he can tackle. how these raiders fans claim he couldnt tackle is pretty silly when only 3 safties had more tackles than him 2 years ago.

Any local Oakland piece written about him after his release is pretty much sour grapes anyway. He's no pro bowler and may never be, but he's an upgrade to PP from the bench. He may even push Doughty.

We didn't use any picks to get him, so I'm worried about what we are going to do with all those picks next year. We might have to throw some at the lines?

I might write to Mr. Blache suggesting LL at FS

Laron Landry is a no brainer pro bowler

SS is not even close to the same speed or skill as LL at FS

Because I believe that FS is the more important position, I vote LL

SS was bashed for his coverage skills, that can be much less of a liability at Strong Safety

SS should play SS

They'd be stupid to switch LaRon back to SS. Couldn't hurt having both LaRon and Stu on the field on a cover 2.

Why, his play opened up many big plays for ST when he was at the FS spot. You need someone who's sound in assignments and coverage and Landry can do that. He's the best athlete we have at both the positions, you pick the best one who consistently performs best at the FS/SS then you put Landry at the other because he will make them better!

Its kinda funny that the Skins are signing this guy. I have 3 friends that are Raiders fans and we all used to rag on this guy(Schweigert) all the time. One of the Raiders buddies used to try and defend this guy making excuses for him. We used to laugh. He called me today laughing saying now you guys have him. Now he's knocking the dude. Schweigert is a back up at best. He's awful. There's a reason he lost his starting job. He's terrible. Like always with the Skins, I hope I'm eating crow on this one but I doubt it. Only thing is the Skins didn't make any big offers for him like Archuleta thank goodness. :2cents:

I bet Raiders fans are laughing at the Skins fans like we laughed at Bears fans when they got Mr. Deluxe.

they are if you clicked the link to their forums I posted

laughing mostly at Brandon lloyd Christmas saying he'd make a good in the box SS...or that he's a good tackler.

Honestly, anybody know if this guy is any good?

No, but neither do the Raiders! :laugh: It's not like they are a prized Organizatons known for developing talent, when players leave there system you always hear them bad mouth the FO. You can use the disgruntled argument but is everyone bitter or are the Raiders just clueless in developing players and schemes?

We will know after preseason if any of the new additions can play, then it will be funny to go back and see all the so called predictions that didn't turn out, even mines!:2cents:

Anyone have any info on why/how he lost his starting job with the Raiders?

Because he's horrible.

I've seen just about every Raiders game while Stewie was with them, and aside from a couple good games, he's atrocious at tackling. Average RBs make him whiff, and he gets run over a lot. He has suspect coverage skills as well.

This is an awful signing. If you all thought Archuleta was a mistake, you're going to really hate this move.

Archived