Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What to do if pulled over?

Thinking Skins

I'm not starting this thread to reignite the controversies behind the police brutality cases that have been discussed kinda often lately.

Instead, I was thinking last night as I drove home at around 3AM about what I would do if the police pulled me over. So the thought came to my mind of actually dialing '9-1-1' and having them record it.

I thank God that I didn't have to put this theory to test last night, but I'm wondering how a cop would percieve it. Particularly since its illegal to talk on the phone while driving in DC. So am I just asking myself for a ticket by doing that? And even more, Am I setting myself up to be more likely to get shot, as the cop may confuse my cell for a gun, or whats more likely, he may confuse me reaching for my cell phone for me reaching for a gun.

But those concenrs aside, I was thinking about some of the things that the cops said to me the time I had the gun pointed at me, and how much more believable the story may be if there was an actual police record of my side of the story. Maybe the resinct could tell the cop to calm down or something? Maybe they could send out other cars (maybe thats not too good of a thing though).

I don't know, I'm just kinda early morning (pre-breakfast) brainstorming on what I can do to help make sure these situations are resolved peacefully.

The ACLU website says exactly what to do if your a lawbreaker ;).

Yes sir, no sir is always a good start unless 10minuts in you realize its a chick.

A friend of mine always told me,

Only break one rule at a time. If you have no license don't blow throught the stop sign, light . If your all good and blow the stop sign have you seatbelt on, dont be speeding.

When your sitting on the side of the road with no license, registration talking to a cop about your 20mph over the limit, through the red light and drunk. The Warning ticket at that point seems remote.

The best thing you can do is keep both hands on your steering wheel until the police officer instructs otherwise. The worst thing you can do is shuffle around in your glove box/under your seat looking for your registration/etc. while the officer is approaching your vehicle.

Of course, that's just what I've been told by police officers I know. Some on es might have different opinions.

The best thing you can do is keep both hands on your steering wheel until the police officer instructs otherwise. The worst thing you can do is shuffle around in your glove box/under your seat looking for your registration/etc. while the officer is approaching your vehicle.

Of course, that's just what I've been told by police officers I know. Some on es might have different opinions.

The worst thing you can do is fart very loud then they are talking to you through the window :D

Guest sith lord
The ACLU website says exactly what to do if your a lawbreaker ;).

Yes sir, no sir is always a good start unless 10minuts in you realize its a chick.

A friend of mine always told me,

Only break one rule at a time. If you have no license don't blow throught the stop sign, light . If your all good and blow the stop sign have you seatbelt on, dont be speeding.

When your sitting on the side of the road with no license, registration talking to a cop about your 20mph over the limit, through the red light and drunk. The Warning ticket at that point seems remote.

That's actually some good advice. I know people (some in my own family) who will drive around with no license and BLAST the stereo. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Add to that get the window open before the officer askes you to. As soon as you are on the side of the road.

And honestly, admiting that you were doing something wrong and apologizing can often help. Especially if the last thirteen people they pulled over were jerks.

I always keep my hands where the officer can see them (gets them to relax) and I never admit I knew I was breaking the law. I read something from a cop once that said when people admit they knew they were doing something wrong, that tells him they have no respect for the law.

I got 3 speeding tickets prior to reading that, the 1 time I've been pulled over since then the cop asked me if I knew how fast I was going, I said no and it's the only time I've ever got a warning instead of a ticket.

Guest sith lord
Add to that get the window open before the officer askes you to. As soon as you are on the side of the road.

And honestly, admiting that you were doing something wrong and apologizing can often help. Especially if the last thirteen people they pulled over were jerks.

Never admit to any wrong doing. NEVER.

What to do if you are pulled over.

1. If you have been drinking, refuse the alcohol test. This will result in your liscense being automatically suspended for six months to a year; which is the same as if you are convicted of DWI. The advantage here is no DWI on your record which draws a manditory jail sentence in Virginia and additionally will stay on your driving record for 15 years or more.
  2. Be curteous to the officer, he's only doing his job no reason to dump on him; especially since he can dump back hard.
  3. It's dangerous for an officer to approach a parked car. Keeping your hands where he can see them on the wheel or out the window is a good idea.
  4. If you are pulled over don't phone to have somebody come and pick up your kid or bring you something. When you are pulled over you are effectively under arrest and cops hate it when you try to carry on with your business on their time.
  5. If you weren't wearing your safteybelt you can tell the officer that you took it off after being pulled over to get your liscense out of your pocket. Save yourself 50$. Most cops won't push you on that.
  6. If you don't feel safe pulling over (ie dark street, bad part of town, unmarked police car), put your hazard lights on and drive slowly to the nearest public area/ police station. It might piss off the cop; but the judge will understand especially if you are a chick.
  7. If you are a chick, cry; and be a little hystarical. This works great for my wife. I've personally not had any luck with that strategy.
  8. If you are caught speeding never admit you knew how fast you were going. They always ask, just tell them you didn't think you were going that fast. If you had a suspended liscense, don't admit you knew it was suspended... Less is more.
  9. Always always go to court. The judge often will reduce the charge even if you plead guilty..
  10. If your points are high you can take a driver improvement coarse online and get a -five points on your liscense every year or 18 months. It looks much better to be +4 than +9. This doesn't help much except for perception because Virginia is about point accumulation not points on your record. The Driver coarse doesn't effect how many points you accumulated in a given year or 18 months.
  11. If you do go to court you can approach the prosecutor and try to hammer our a deal before court starts. All the lawyers do this to see what the offer is, many prosecutors will talk to individuals too. They can/will sereously reduce the charge if depending on intangibles of the case. It works best however if you get yourself a lawyer. It's expensive but it will show the judge and prosecutor you are talking the speeding seriously.
  12. Always wear a suit to court. Impressions are important, showing up casual is not the way to go.
  13. If you got caught going 10-15 miles over you can typically get it thrown out in coart, If you are willing to make a project out of it. Go to your local goodyear shop and put some larger wheels your car. Sometimes you can negotiate the use of the wheels from a friend. Then go get your speedometer checked. The speedometer will be off and this can help you in court. It's not an excuse, but some prosecutors/Judges will take it into account. Even if you don't change the wheels, still have your speedometer checked; most are off by a few mph and it's easy to do. If you are 10 mph over getting a mile or two off can get the entire ticket tossed.
  14. If your liscense is yanked at coart, or before court by the DMV; Don't drive to your court date. You will probable get away with it, if you do; But every now and then they expressly look for such acts. When they do you won't have any credibility with the court; so take a cab. Credibility is important.

If you don't feel safe pulling over, put your hazard lights on and drive slowly to the nearest public area/ police station.

I believe in most states this is legal. It is legal to not pull over immediately (i.e. it is not resisting arrest or something like that) if you drive in a responsible manner to the nearest police station. Putting on your hazard lights is a good way of indicating that you know the cop is there.

At varoius times, there were issues with people impersonating cops and pulling people over and then committing crimes so these laws were passed.

As soon as the cop pulls you over you should start fidgeting around a whole bunch. Prefereably open your glove box a few times, throw some stuff out the window-maybe even drive away just to see if he's paying attention. Then when he pulls you over again, you should refuse to get out of the car. It helps if you scream and curse at them. Maybe throw some more stuf out the window. Trust me, I've seen lots of episodes of "Cops"-this always helps. Then when they call for back up and finally get you out of the car, do everything in your power to resist arrest. If they can't get the cuffs on you, then they can't arrest you. A lawyer told me that. And if they do manage to get the cuffs on you-get up and run away if they look away. You'll be way more aerodynamic with your arms cuffed behind your back. No way in hell they're going to catch you. But if they do, and they happen to hog tie you, make you sure you kick the window of the cop car. At this point you've got them right where you want them. Haha! Broken window beyotch!

It was already stated. Keep your hands on the wheel. trust me they are watching you. As for saying you removed your seatbelt to get your license, a cop knows if you took your seatbelt off, and now he knows you lie. Just admit it. He may let you off. If you have been drinking, do NOT lie. This does not make them very annoyed. But alot of the rules I think differ from state to state and what kind of cop pulls you over. But bottom line is...hands on the steering wheel, and don't lie.

Stay in your house, keep the doors locked and dont come out unless you have to, when you do come out dont break the law and keep your head down. If you do this those cops that are waiting to get you for doing nothing at all might not even notice you. Remember cops prey on the inocent, its life.

As soon as the cop pulls you over you should start fidgeting around a whole bunch. Prefereably open your glove box a few times, throw some stuff out the window-maybe even drive away just to see if he's paying attention. Then when he pulls you over again, you should refuse to get out of the car. It helps if you scream and curse at them. Maybe throw some more stuf out the window. Trust me, I've seen lots of episodes of "Cops"-this always helps. Then when they call for back up and finally get you out of the car, do everything in your power to resist arrest. If they can't get the cuffs on you, then they can't arrest you. A lawyer told me that. And if they do manage to get the cuffs on you-get up and run away if they look away. You'll be way more aerodynamic with your arms cuffed behind your back. No way in hell they're going to catch you. But if they do, and they happen to hog tie you, make you sure you kick the window of the cop car. At this point you've got them right where you want them. Haha! Broken window beyotch!

This works especially well if you've been drinking a lot. :)

How often do you try it? :)

Tried it twice... 100% failure rate, so I took that club out of my golf bag. A sobbing dude just doesn't generate any sympathy. As I've said, My wife is a grand master at this strategy. She blew by a red light and put a cop in a four tire skid. When he walked up to her window he had coffee spilled all over his shirt. She got out of it. Life isn't fair.

As for saying you removed your seatbelt to get your license, a cop knows if you took your seatbelt off, and now he knows you lie. Just admit it. He may let you off. If you have been drinking, do NOT lie. This does not make them very annoyed. But alot of the rules I think differ from state to state and what kind of cop pulls you over. But bottom line is...hands on the steering wheel, and don't lie.

It's really not about truth. It's about what they can prove.

I don't think you should lie about anything that you can get caught at. If the cop thinks you were drinking and driving lieing doesn't help you; cause the cop will order a sobriety test to check regardless. In that case don't lie, just don't admit to it, and refuse to take the sobriety test.

As I said there are serous reprocussions for refusing to take the sobriety test including six months to a year suspsended liscense. But it is far better to have that on your record than a DWI. Smartest thing Shawn Taylor did if you ask me. And as I said DWI in virginia carries a manditory jail sentence. Even if the cop does charge you with DWI anyway, you can get it thrown out in court if you didn't take the sobriety test. That's what happenned with Shawn Taylor.

As for lieing about your seat belt. When the cop pulls you over he will look down and organize his papers or grab his ticket book. He won't watch you the entire time. If you don't have your seat belt on, He will give you a 50$ ticket. He will never not do so if he asks you about it. Telling him you took it off after you were pulled over is a good way to save yourself 50$. It's not a big deal. If you show up on court the judge usually throws those things out first thing anyway.

In general every question the officer asks you when you are pulled over is designed to get you to incriminate yourself. Knowing what to say to be truthful and not incriminate yourself is a skill. Knowing what you can get away with is a skill. Knowing what you can't get away with is also very important. The seat belt is the least of the officers concerns after pulling you over. It's just a nice to have. after all he's got you for speeding anyway.... Your experience will vary.

This works especially well if you've been drinking a lot. :)

I had a friend of mine who was pulled over in college drinking and driving.... He kept a jar of peanut butter in his car to eat if pulled over to throw off the blood alcohol test. I don't know if that would work, I know they ask you if you've eaten anything before administring the test. Anyway this guy started cramming peanut butter into his pie hole. When the cop walked up to the window, the guy could hardely talk through the peanut butter. He asked the cop if he had anything to drink to clear his mouth. The cop said, "Son, don't you think you've had enough to drink"..

If you killed six people and have them stashed in your trunk, then yes. Deny, deny, deny.

But if you were going 55 in a 45 mph zone and start to debate it... not a good course of action.

Don't debate, don't argue, just don't admit it. If he asks if you know how fast you were going, you say Yes, or No... No debate.

If he asks you how fast you were going you say 45 mph... or around 45 mph.. or if you don't know the speed limit you just say "the speed limit." Incriminating yourself is the wrong move 99% of the time. It's not a good idea to admit wrong doing hoping it's that 1% of the time when the cop is late for his donut break and will release you....

Don't debate, just don't admit to wrong doing either directly to the officer or to someone else in the officers presence. It limits your options after the fact. When you are talking to the officer when you have been pulled over you aren't really talking to him. You are talking through him to the prosecutor and the judge. Never incriminate yourself, never.

That doesn't mean argue, and it doesn't mean lie (most of the time). Throwing yourself on the mercy of the officer is not nearly as good a strategy as throwing yourelf on the mercy of the judge and prosecutor. Also you can influence their mercy by showing contrition before your court date. by

1. Showing up for court rather than just paying the ticket.
  2. Dressing professionaly.
  3. Attending a safe driving class prior to court
  4. Hiring a lawyer.
  5. Having your equipment tested and pointing out where it might be deficient
  6. Introducing your previous safe driving record if you have one.
  7. Presenting your alternate description of events or extenuating cercumstances.

If I get pulled over, I shut the car off, put the keys on the dash where he can see them, roll down the window, put both hands on the steering wheel, and wait.

Every traffic stop can be dangerous in their mind, might as well make it a little more comfortable for them.

On one occasion after being pulled over I reached into my glove box for my registration. When I sat back up I noticed the officer sidling up along side my car very cautiously. His first question was to ask me what I had put under the passenger seat. It definitely makes the officers nervous when they see you doing something like that in the car.

On another occasion a friend was driving and was pulled over. He stayed with his hands crossed across the steering wheel. The officer asked him if he had any priors because that is a position the police may ask you to take but you they don't normally see, so they thought he had been arrested previously (he just had police friends, but hadn't been arrested previously).

So, zoony is correct. Sit still with your hands on the wheel. Be cool, calm and courteous and the officer should as well.

I agree with everything, except you should avoid stopping long enough for them to lay the spike strips. The sparks your bare wheels make are good for some exciting video that you can post (or have someone post for you from jail) on youtube.

So, zoony is correct. Sit still with your hands on the wheel. Be cool, calm and courteous and the officer should as well.

Yeah after you get your liscense and registration out it's not a bad idea to hold your hands outside the window where he can see them. it is a safety factor for the police.

They used to say get out of your car and walk back to the officer. I did this at the University of Michigan. I was pulled over erronously. A dude pulled up next to me at a stop light and revved up his engine like he wanted to race. When the light turned green he peeled out. The copy didn't know which of us had done it so he pulled us both over. By the time I had found my liscene and registration I got out of my car and walked back to the squad car. Their were three squad cars and they had their flood lights on and guns drawn. They were screaming at me to take my hands out of my pockets on that cold winter night. I took my hands of my pockets and was tackled to the ground and handcuffed. They questioned me for 15 minutes and when I wouldn't admit to any speeding/which I wasn't speeding; they released me...

So I don't leave the car anymore unless directed to do so by the officer. Seeing as how it almost got my shot when that tactics acceptablity went from helpful to almost getting me shot.

Archived