Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

For Those Who Care About Character (Inc. Fred Davis Missing Today) M.E.T. (merged)

tiger187126

Ignore it then....

The football guys at USC begin to speak freely to their associates about the kids after they leave, but not to the media (do you really think Carroll is going to bash one of his players publically? That would do wonders for recruiting).

In fact, the one player they say out of this USC '08 batch that is a high character guy is Rivers (drafted by Cinci). The USC coaches loved him.

No, I didn't ignore, did I? And this is two pointless posts in a row. Nicely done. What you have to say here is obvious stuff, generally speaking. It's news to no one. The dynamic you describe regarding differences between public and private conversations occurs in innumerable places. That's common sense. And are you an USC associate? Or are we back to the hearsay from an unprovable source? We are defining pointless today. But thanks for the extra insider tip on Cinci's pick. :silly:

What was pointless was your unprovable assertion of a personal insider view about this specific matter--made especially pointless given your main source-quoted contribution to the subject was the "he's a bad guy" comment.

Now, you want me to accept your assertion that Pete Carroll, a man with a great deal of integrity, is willfully dissembling on Davis specifically for unknown reasons just on your say-so of hearsay. You need to quit while you just look ridiculous and not totally stupid. This is all aside the point of whether davis really is a head case or not, if you follow. :)

And btw, he missed the third day, made the first and second. That's not excusing him in the slightest, just bringing more accuracy to the most fundamental and simplest fact of the matter being mishandled in your pointless post. :)

Ok, enough fun for me., Carry on. :laugh:

Per Clayton Davis switched rooms cuz he couldn't sleep due to his roommate. By himself in another room, Davis wound up oversleeping until 11 AM. Since he was in a different room, nobody could find him at first.

So yes he overslept, but it has now come out that it is nowhere near as big of a deal as some of you made it out to be in here. I myself have overslept a couple of times simply because the "off" button is right next to the "snooze" button.

Do you guys ever get tired of making mountains out of molehills?

(rhetorical, I know you don't)

This thread began with the legal implications against several NFL starters this year and how the Redskins had avoided having their team on the front page for issues like this. Someone else brought up the fact that since the departure of Brandon Lloyd we had nothing but hardworking individuals and team oriented guys. After agreeing to this Jumbo informed all of us that Fred Davis hadn't shown up for the third day of practice. This then degenerated into a board of people bringing up Sean Taylor for no reason (but mostly because they didn't read the thread and realize it was about people brought in under the Zorn era) and others insulting each other.

I do agree that Davis missing practice is both a big deal and overblown. He does have character issues coming from USC about the same kind of thing that he has perpetrated here. But, in addition, he did just oversleep. Personally I don't know how a young guy (I'm one too) could oversleep on the first few days of his professional career. I figured all the rookies would be so jacked up with the thought of playing football on Sundays for millions of dollars that they would have trouble sleeping, not waking up.

I think Davis will have a good deal of trouble to deal with from the other players and coaches, but because we are a good character team he will learn. Smoot was a good player when we drafted him, went to a team with poor character and got in trouble. Now that he's back with a great character team he has straightened up and I believe he will continue to improve. The same can be said of Sean Taylor. No matter who the coach may be, we have veterans in place who will not allow a guy to pull off things that would hurt the team.

Bringing in a wr/kr who could just as easily be cut as he could be signed is not going to hurt the team. Drafting a 3rd string developmental qb who still has to compete against Hollenbach for a position on the roster is not going to hurt this team.

We didn't get Chad Johnson, we didn't trade for Pacman Jones. The Redskins are a character team and they take care of their own. As fans we should be thankful for this and realize what Cincinnati must feel like every week seeing their players arrested.

Sir, MUST I remind you that logic, threads with clear cut well thought out opinions, and posts that make this much sense have absolutely NO place on this site?

:silly:

Now, you want me to accept your assertion that Pete Carroll, a man with a great deal of integrity, is willfully dissembling on Davis specifically for unknown reasons just on your say-so of hearsay. You need to quit while you just look ridiculous and not totally stupid.
You, sir, are a wise man...

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

-- Mark Twain

This thread began with the legal implications against several NFL starters this year and how the Redskins had avoided having their team on the front page for issues like this. Someone else brought up the fact that since the departure of Brandon Lloyd we had nothing but hardworking individuals and team oriented guys. After agreeing to this Jumbo informed all of us that Fred Davis hadn't shown up for the third day of practice. This then degenerated into a board of people bringing up Sean Taylor for no reason (but mostly because they didn't read the thread and realize it was about people brought in under the Zorn era) and others insulting each other.

I do agree that Davis missing practice is both a big deal and overblown. He does have character issues coming from USC about the same kind of thing that he has perpetrated here. But, in addition, he did just oversleep. Personally I don't know how a young guy (I'm one too) could oversleep on the first few days of his professional career. I figured all the rookies would be so jacked up with the thought of playing football on Sundays for millions of dollars that they would have trouble sleeping, not waking up.

I think Davis will have a good deal of trouble to deal with from the other players and coaches, but because we are a good character team he will learn. Smoot was a good player when we drafted him, went to a team with poor character and got in trouble. Now that he's back with a great character team he has straightened up and I believe he will continue to improve. The same can be said of Sean Taylor. No matter who the coach may be, we have veterans in place who will not allow a guy to pull off things that would hurt the team.

Bringing in a wr/kr who could just as easily be cut as he could be signed is not going to hurt the team. Drafting a 3rd string developmental qb who still has to compete against Hollenbach for a position on the roster is not going to hurt this team.

We didn't get Chad Johnson, we didn't trade for Pacman Jones. The Redskins are a character team and they take care of their own. As fans we should be thankful for this and realize what Cincinnati must feel like every week seeing their players arrested.

The one thing you're missing is that Joe Gibbs was a true leader. Everybody, from Clinton Portis to the late Sean Taylor always described Joe Gibbs as a true leader of men. Marvin Lewis is also a character guy but it's obvious he doesn't really have control of his team. Jim Zorn? We'll see, but if oversleeping is the only issue we have to face, I'll take it.

Remember, even Gibbs had Brandon Lloyd fall asleep in the locker room.

Sir, MUST I remind you that logic, threads with clear cut well thought out opinions, and posts that make this much sense have absolutely NO place on this site?

:silly:

Haha, oh I know that. Every time I respond to a thread it seems to dissolve into a bickering match. There's always at least one person who hates everything about anything and he/she will not stop until they have made personal attacks on everyone and the organization itself.

Oh well, at least I had a funny chain of Tommy Boy references when someone put together what Davis was doing in his room alone for the night.

At the end of the day what we all need to realize is:

:dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck

. He does have character issues coming from USC about the same kind of thing that he has perpetrated here.

Not to pick on your thread, as others have said the same thing. But WHAT character issues exactly does he or did he have? I haven't read (or found) anything that specifically says what he has done or said that was so bad. Just general comments that he has character issues. Sorry if I missed the specificis, feel free to PM me with a link.

Not to pick on your thread, as others have said the same thing. But WHAT character issues exactly does he or did he have? I haven't read (or found) anything that specifically says what he has done or said that was so bad. Just general comments that he has character issues. Sorry if I missed the specificis, feel free to PM me with a link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Davis_%28tight_end%29

i know it's only wiki but it's something lol

His freshman year, Davis contributed as a reserve to the eventual-national champion 2004 USC Trojans football team, playing in nine games and catching four passes behind fellow tight ends Dominique Byrd and Alex Holmes. However, because of repeated incidences of tardiness, reporting late after trips back to Ohio, Davis was not allowed to travel with the Trojans to the BCS National Championship Game in 2005 Orange Bowl. Davis reapplied himself the next season, catching 13 passes in 13 games during the 2005 season, including two in the 2006 Rose Bowl. During the 2006 season, Davis started 10 games and caught 38 passes for 352 yards and three touchdowns.

I understand your point, and agree with it to an extent. However, at no point in life is it ever OK to do something based on what someone else is doing. Just because we are "better" at it than a couple other isolated teams has nothing to do with whether we should have picked up certain players.

Its like saying I wouldnt be overweight at 300 lbs, just because most Americans are obese.

Preach on, bro.

Well spoken.

If a guy oversleeping is the height of our character problems. . .we're doing good. And that is also why you avoid people like CJ, etc., selfish holes who care about nothing but themselves.

These crimes are a sign of the dysfunction of our society, glaring example of why it will not endure. Athletes should just be athletes, not Gods, but the Cult of Sports teaches them from an early age that the rules don't apply to them simply because they can catch a pigskin or heave a bright orange ball through a hoop. Everything else is predictable result of this unwarranted hero worshipping. And this says much more about the society than it does the athletes.

I love football, but pictures of Einstein and Washington are on my wall. I thought Jordan was a great athlete, but its not like he cured Cancer. Despite what Nike ads say, Football players aren't warriors, soldiers dying in Iraq are. And as much as I mourn Sean Taylor, he wasn't JFK, MLK, or Lincoln.

Historians in a few thousand years will marvel at the absurdity of our Gladiator & Coliseum culture, and wonder how people could devote so much time to it, but comparatively little to fulfilling their civic responsibility to be educated and informed citizens.

Redskins Assign New Roommate for Fred Davis

AP

May 5, 2008

Asburn, Virginia

The Washington Redskins reshuffled rookie room assignments this afternoon, assigning a new roommate for rookie tight end Fred Davis. Davis was the topic of concern over the weekend when he overslept on the third day of minicamp, missing practice. Redskins wide receivers coach Stan Hixon said "We think Fred's new roommate should help him avoid problems in the future."

Fred Davis' new roommate:

FlavaFlav-1.jpg

Can you imagine how Davis felt when he woke up and looked at the clock? Kind of like that old nightmare of waking up during exams and realizing you have 1/2 hour left to get there and finish it.

That had to suck. Zorn doesn't seem like the kind of coach that goes easy on players either, especially a rookie.

Can you imagine how Davis felt when he woke up and looked at the clock? Kind of like that old nightmare of waking up during exams and realizing you have 1/2 hour left to get there and finish it.

That had to suck. Zorn doesn't seem like the kind of coach that goes easy on players either, especially a rookie.

He more than likely had a real bad headache and needed to throw up!!!!!!!!!!

:cheers: :doh:

Archived