Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

For Those Who Care About Character (Inc. Fred Davis Missing Today) M.E.T. (merged)

tiger187126

Well, let's make the Fred Davis no-show its own thread or sticky it for today.

As much as people talked about Gibbs bringing in "True Redskins" and character guys, the drafting of a guy with 'character issues" who immediately screws up might just be a hot topic of conversation. A lot of people wanted us to chose someone else. I'm sure they'd like to chime in on what most regarded as a luxury pick.

Go ahead and get it out in the open. I want to hear all those comments ranging from "big deal" to "cut him!" :laugh:

====================

For the record, I say they should run this guy to death at camp. Have a coach stay in his face and see where his head is...

but we should've drafted Calais...:D

Well, let's make the Fred Davis no-show its own thread or sticky it for today.

As much as people talked about Gibbs bringing in "True Redskins" and character guys, the drafting of a guy with 'character issues" who immediately screws up might just be a hot topic of conversation. A lot of people wanted us to chose someone else. I'm sure they'd like to chime in on what most regarded as a luxury pick.

Go ahead and get it out in the open. I want to hear all those comments ranging from "big deal" to "cut him!" :laugh:

====================

For the record, I say they should run this guy to death at camp. Have a coach stay in his face and see where his head is...

but we should've drafted Calais...:D

It is in the open and in the thread title. And everyone can chime in just fine, just like you. And Gibbs isn't the HC. And this is a baaaad move on Davis part. And he better REALLY make it up. As I posted earlier, this is an especially bad move on his part given he was such a contested pick within the fan base. And to make it even worse, he puts his new HC who hand-picked him according to our info, in a bad spot right off the bat. The ****er.

And I agree, as I also posted during the draft, I wanted Campbell though there was some questions on that call among draft boards and talking heads, but when I quickly evaluted davis and considered the big picture, I calmed down and saw the attraction. Now, I'm back on hold. :mad:

The Davis news is hardly a surprise. Out here in USC land, he was known as a punk that NFL teams should avoid. Hopefully he can grow up and fast.
Well, Hoop, for quite awhile you've consistently negative about most anything the team does, so I take your comments with a grain of salt, and I say that in a freindly way. I know you're a good ES member and not just a some "whiner." And I have heard a few others say this stuff about Davis. On the other hand, you look at the hard data and for a guy who is cast as a "problem" by the folks that do so, he accomplished some amazing performance milestones over the course of several years. So it seems to be a lot more than a cut and dried imatter here either way, I'd say. I sure hope we don't end up sucking on this move.

It is in the open and in the thread title. And everyone can chime in just fine, just like you. And Gibbs isn't the HC. And this is a baaaad move on Davis part. And he better REALLY make it up. As I posted earlier, this is an especially bad move on his part given he was such a contested pick within the fan base. And to make it even worse, he puts his new HC who hand-picked him according to our info, in a bad spot right off the bat. The ****er.

Well, it is also a bad move from the standpoint that he has guys ahead of him. Him not showing up is one less day for him to get ready for the season, one less day to impress the coaches, etc.

But, at the same time, let's not blow this out of proportion. It is obvious that he screwed up. It wouldn't be the first time a young guy screwed up. At the same time, we might not be talking about this much beyond this if this ends up being the end of it. To be honest, Sean Taylor's antics were more worrisome because it seemed to happen every offseason. I mean, even last year he was late arriving to OTAs.

I'll worry if he starts developing a track record. For right now, tho, it is just one incident.

Jason

There is no comparison at this point to be made between Sean Taylor and Fred Davis.

Taylor was a once in a generation talent who was the youngest player in the NFL at 20 when he was drafted by the Redskins.

Davis is a 23 year old mid-tier player coming into a team with a pro bowler already ahead of him at TE.

While Davis seems to have good skills if he harnesses them and works hard, he doesn't project to be the kind of player Taylor was by an stretch.

Taylor didn't miss practice time because he overslept :)

Taylor was all business on the field, irregardless of the offseason issues in FL.

Right and right.

The Davis news is hardly a surprise. Out here in USC land, he was known as a punk that NFL teams should avoid. Hopefully he can grow up and fast.

"Punk" is a little strong - that was a label I rejected for Taylor even after the shooting incident - but certainly there were questions about his work habits and drive.

I can only hope that this is a wakeup call for him, and I have no doubts that a coaching staff with Zorn and Blache will be all over his ass over this.

I knew that was going to happen. I write this nice thing about how good everyone is and boom, a player decides not to show.

The funny thing is, no one knew about his character issues when we drafted him. They said he lacked drive and motivation.

Zorn, it is up to you now to cut him so this whole thing that I wrote doesn't look completely bogus.

Nobody knew because the skins didn't even interview the kid :doh: :laugh: Was our Front office reading kipers big board and going on Youtube just like the fans :laugh: To be fair I think they did talk to Carrol :doh:

I agree, Punk is Pacman Jones.

I also agree with Longshot that, at this point, this is not a big deal. Let Zorn and the coaches take care of this which should be an internal team matter. Hopefully, he learns and it doesn't repeat.

Also, I wonder what this does to his contract status? The team might throw in some clause about showing up or guranteeing themselves against him getting into trouble. I know the team has to walk a fine line because the players associaiont will jump in, but this is something they can bring up in negotiations.

I agree, Punk is Pacman Jones.

I also agree with Longshot that, at this point, this is not a big deal. Let Zorn and the coaches take care of this which should be an internal team matter. Hopefully, he learns and it doesn't repeat.

Also, I wonder what this does to his contract status? The team might throw in some clause about showing up or guranteeing themselves against him getting into trouble. I know the team has to walk a fine line because the players associaiont will jump in, but this is something they can bring up in negotiations.

The CBA already covers team discipline of players for missing meetings, etc., so it won't be in the contract. There's also a standard morals clause in most contracts anyway. It's guys like Chris Henry who get the extra stuff.

As for "not a big deal", that would be true of a guy who didn't already have whispers about his work habits and dedication, but Fred has those questions. He should be the last of the rookies to be late to something, not the first. A second red flag just got raised. It's only not going to be a big deal if it never happens again and he works his ass off to be a great TE for us.

The CBA already covers team discipline of players for missing meetings, etc., so it won't be in the contract. There's also a standard morals clause in most contracts anyway. It's guys like Chris Henry who get the extra stuff.

As for "not a big deal", that would be true of a guy who didn't already have whispers about his work habits and dedication, but Fred has those questions. He should be the last of the rookies to be late to something, not the first. A second red flag just got raised. It's only not going to be a big deal if it never happens again and he works his ass off to be a great TE for us.

Have to wait and see. Maybe he needs a babysitter to wake him up and tell him to go to bed early during mini-camp. Someone to tell him this is not college anymore and that this is profession.

I hope that he can get his act together. I also hope he simply stayed out late and didn't do anything stupid like other NFL players are doing.

Have to wait and see. Maybe he needs a babysitter to wake him up and tell him to go to bed early during mini-camp. Someone to tell him this is not college anymore and that this is profession.

I hope that he can get his act together. I also hope he simply stayed out late and didn't do anything stupid like other NFL players are doing.

Why is he even going out during his first mini camp? The guy is talented, but is another example of the lack of character guys that come out his college program.

At least he hasn't drugged and raped a girl or killed his ex wife.

really? Listening to him in his interviews, he sounded like he had a good head on his shoulders.

"Punk" is a little strong - that was a label I rejected for Taylor even after the shooting incident - but certainly there were questions about his work habits and drive.

I can only hope that this is a wakeup call for him, and I have no doubts that a coaching staff with Zorn and Blache will be all over his ass over this.

Sean Taylor was never a punk. He had a couple of felons "accuse" him of brandishing a gun at them. It was Sean Talyor's ATVs that got stolen and his Denali that got shot at while parked in front of his mother's house while he was relaxign inside... That prosecutor had nothing and he just tried to promote himself...

There is no comparison at this point to be made between Sean Taylor and Fred Davis.

Taylor was a once in a generation talent who was the youngest player in the NFL at 20 when he was drafted by the Redskins.

Davis is a 23 year old mid-tier player coming into a team with a pro bowler already ahead of him at TE.

While Davis seems to have good skills if he harnesses them and works hard, he doesn't project to be the kind of player Taylor was by an stretch.

Taylor was 21 when he was drafted... his birthday was April 1, 1983

Sean Taylor was never a punk. He had a couple of felons "accuse" him of brandishing a gun at them. It was Sean Talyor's ATVs that got stolen and his Denali that got shot at while parked in front of his mother's house while he was relaxign inside... That prosecutor had nothing and he just tried to promote himself...

Why are you arguing with me? Did you even read my post?

It would be cool to not get the thread too sidetracked into a bunch of the Sean Taylor stuff and stay with the rest of the topical material.

BTW, here's JimiieJo's latest on Davis:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246424

And then there’s Fred Davis who couldn’t find a way to make it to his third day of work for the Redskins. I mentioned earlier that I had heard there were some character questions surrounding him. Some of the writers were talking in the press room after practice and had likewise heard the same thing from different sources.

What I’m saying is he may have a bit of a knucklehead streak going for him.

Coach Zorn addressed Davis’ absence, saying, “Nobody heard from him, so there was one of two scenarios. Either there was some real trouble and we needed to find him, or he screwed up. I haven’t even got to talk to him yet. I know he has been found. I believe it is more in the ‘I screwed up’ category.”

Later, Zorn was asked if he is disappointed in Davis. “I’m very disappointed,” he said.

Your comments are right on target.

Let's hope that it is a one time occurrence.

Nevertheless, this does resurrect the issue of the Skins having used a 3rd Round pick on a player who has been termed a "luxury" at his position and about whom there have been some character questions versus using the pick for a player who might be a "reach" but who plays a position where there is a greater need.

Once again there is the question of how much "character" (perhaps maturity would be a better word) should be factored into player evaluations. After all, if a talented player doesn't behave well enough to stay on the roster, then his talent is useless to the team.

Again, we'll see what happens in the future but, right now, there is reason for doubt about the Skins' decision to make this pick.

Archived