Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

For Those Who Care About Character (Inc. Fred Davis Missing Today) M.E.T. (merged)

tiger187126

I heard a lot of moaning and complaining about the signing of Mathis or the drafting of Brennan because they have character issues. But has anybody actually read all the stories this offseason about the trouble players are getting in? Not just the ones you expect either, and it seems to be plaguing every team.

Cedric Benson, Bears: Resisting Arrest, Boating while intoxicated:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3380764

Marvin Harrison, Colts: (read that name again) Under investigation for shooting a man:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3378829

(read this story, it sounds pretty bad for Harrison)

I won't keep adding links, but you probably know about Chris Henry. Here's some others:

Kenny Wright, Browns

Kalvin Pearson, Lions

Bryant McKinnie, Vikings

Adrian Awason, New York Giants

There are a lot more just from this year, but I don't want to make this post too long. You get the point, it seems like every team this year is dealing with arrests. The Colt's Harrison story is the most shocking and after reading it, it seems really bad. He's arguing, follows the guy out, and the guy gets shot with his gun. He said the gun was at home, then they found it at his car wash.

The Redskins have avoided these things for the most part during the past few years, and knock on wood they aren't dealing with them right now. We don't have a franchise quarterback behind bars for having an illegal dogfighting ring. We didn't have to dump a first round draft pick for a conditional 4th round pick because he was involved in an incident at a strip club. We don't have repeat offenders like that team with stripes.

We are not clubs like Dallas, who signs anyone who they think can help them win. We are not Cincinnati, who put up with multiple offenders and wait until the fifth strike to cut someone. We are a team that is built around character guys and their support helps some guys who might have had a problem in the past.

So if you say that Zorn doesn't care about character and this team is going to be destroyed by bad character people, I want you to watch all the news about these arrests and count your blessings that it isn't our team. There's a reason for that.

If you have any other arrests, feel free to add them. And if CP gets busted for human trafficking or some ridiculous crime tomorrow, I will never post again because this whole thing wold be a jinx.

Character also includes the willingness to work hard and make the necessary sacrifices to reach your potential :)

With the release of Brandon Lloyd I don't see any players on this team that fit into the 'underachiever' category.

You can question the ability of some players to become major contributors in the NFL due to size, speed or other issues, but I don't think you can question the heart of anyone on this roster.

Character also includes the willingness to work hard and make the necessary sacrifices to reach your potential :)

With the release of Brandon Lloyd I don't see any players on this team that fit into the 'underachiever' category.

You can question the ability of some players to become major contributors in the NFL due to size, speed or other issues, but I don't think you can question the heart of anyone on this roster.

I agree with you 100%. If anything we have a bunch of players who play beyond their size and speed.

We don't have people who take plays off (although Santana last year was on the edge in the playoffs), or complain about playing time. We have guys who put in work every single day and love the game and the team more than themselves.

Everyone read about Fred Davis in the 3rd day coverage stciky thread and try not to totally freak. :)

Not freaking out, but that is the first sign of a bust. Either you want it or you don't. So far he doesn't.

Plain and simple to me.

Everyone read about Fred Davis in the 3rd day coverage stciky thread and try not to totally freak. :)

I knew that was going to happen. I write this nice thing about how good everyone is and boom, a player decides not to show.

The funny thing is, no one knew about his character issues when we drafted him. They said he lacked drive and motivation.

Zorn, it is up to you now to cut him so this whole thing that I wrote doesn't look completely bogus.

For those lazy people around here (*cough*), care to explain?

Or maybe a link?

I was pretty sure I read every draft-related thread ever created on ES, but I have no idea what you are talking about.

:silly:

Sean Taylor had his run ins bud. We haven't avoided this type of thing at all.

This is true, and you make a valid point.

But Taylor learned from his lessons, he was and had turned his life around.

Pacman and Chris Henry are far from it.

For those lazy people around here (*cough*), care to explain?

Or maybe a link?

I was pretty sure I read every draft-related thread ever created on ES, but I have no idea what you are talking about.

:silly:

He hasn't shown up yet for any of the minicamps. They said he lacked drive and motivation so this is a bigger deal than it may look like.

This is from the OP in our coverage thread: The word I got on TE Fred Davis when they drafted him was that there were some questions on character. According to coach zorn Davis was a no-call/no-show today and apparently he had no good excuse. Missing your third day at the new job without calling is not the way to start a career.

Now that's just JJ's report at this time, so more will be revealed.

These are links of my posts in the thread. :D

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5155949&postcount=17

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5155963&postcount=24

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5156059&postcount=39

I have a funny feeling this won't be the only time I post these links.

He didnt show up TODAY. He showed up yesterday and on Friday.

Sorry, when he said third day I thought he meant it was the third day in a row he had missed. Regardless, this isn't something to brush off. He's a rookie and he should be valuing every moment he can get with this team. This isn't college anymore and it's not going to be as easy as it was at college.

There is no comparison at this point to be made between Sean Taylor and Fred Davis.

Taylor was a once in a generation talent who was the youngest player in the NFL at 20 when he was drafted by the Redskins.

Davis is a 23 year old mid-tier player coming into a team with a pro bowler already ahead of him at TE.

While Davis seems to have good skills if he harnesses them and works hard, he doesn't project to be the kind of player Taylor was by an stretch.

Sorry, when he said third day I thought he meant it was the third day in a row he had missed. Regardless, this isn't something to brush off. He's a rookie and he should be valuing every moment he can get with this team. This isn't college anymore and it's not going to be as easy as it was at college.

It isn't, but at the same time people shouldn't go overboard about it. I remember when Sean Taylor was having issues early on and there were a lot of people worried about that, but that stuff ultimately ended up being nothing.

It is disappointing when a player doesn't inform the coaching staff that he isn't going to be there, but it doesn't mean that there isn't a good reason.

Jason

I would like to state for the record, I do not compare Fred Davis to Sean Taylor. I don't think anyone did. I was talking about character under Zorn, someone brought up Taylor because they didn't read the original post and then Jumbo posted about Davis missing practice.

Archived