Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I drank shots with Lavar yesterday!!!

qcraftsman

That's really neat - LaVar always seemed like a really cool dude on TV interviews.

Like many of us, I was very much an LA fan when he played with us. He was definitely one of my favorite players, and my signed LaVar mini-helm is still one of my prized football items. And I also regret how his career ended with the Redskins.

It is too bad he seemed to have burned bridges. I like think that even with an injury history, maybe he could play in spot - pass rush duty, but oh well. Good to see he stayed in the area; I am going to visit Sidelines one of these days.

As much as we all don't know. The evidence speaks for itself, you don't go from being a pallbearer for the owners father to being totally dismissed. I am quite sure Snyder tried to pull one over, LaVar and the agents caught it, Snyder got pissed and alienated him. I mean if Snyder is so crude to send a plasma TV to a player lord can only think what else the militant midget might do. Sorry I believe LaVar over the front office. :2cents:

I think his agents messed up - they even admitted as much. After all, you don't give two separate $6.5 million dollar bonuses, which would have been silly. It would have been one lump $13 million bonus, which also would have been way too huge for what was expected. The team was not going to pay him that much for a bonus in one year.

His agents screwed up - neither they or LaVar read the contract and they were expecting a hugely unrealistic amount. Thus, LaVar made a fuss over the matter, and that is when the coaching staff (LaVar was dog housed by G. Williams) and the front office became unhappy with LA.

Sorry to say it, but this is on LA. He didn't have to go on the radio and make comments about the situation. He didn't need to play the blame-game, but he did, his tactics backfired, and he lost in the end.

And the fans lost a favorite player, too. It was an all around lose-lose situation.

I would really love to know the inside scoop on what truly happened to LA, but unless someone on the staff is going to open up, then we probably will never find out.

Well, I guess somone could provoke former LB coach, Dale Lindsey to open up, but I'm not so sure I'd believe anything that comes out of his mouth.

best wishes to LaVar. sometimes i wonder what if he and the owner were able to reconcile; does LaVar still feel the fire that draws the moth to the flame? the skins after all could use some backer help.

then i woke up.

I would really love to know the inside scoop on what truly happened to LA, but unless someone on the staff is going to open up, then we probably will never find out.

Well, I guess somone could provoke former LB coach, Dale Lindsey to open up, but I'm not so sure I'd believe anything that comes out of his mouth.

Yeah, Lindsey always took shots at Lavar's playing when he was here and when he was with the Giants.

It's a shame he fell off the map after that contract controversy with the Postons and then his injury. He was one of the most exciting players on the team and like others my favorite player when he was here. Plus, you look at how much athletic ability he had in chasing down all types of backs, TEs and even WRs while delivering monster hits and being one of the team leaders in sacks and/or forced fumbles during his Pro Bowl years.

I wished that we could get him back ala Trotter going back to the Eagles a few years back, but after his multiple knee concerns, Achilles' injury, and motorcycle accident, I don't think he could be that much of a contributor anymore. I'd definitely love him to come back and play a situational role or play the role that Posey did earlier.

Our LB depth is still pretty weak considering we have 2 starters with durability concerns and the other will turn 33. Behind them, we have guys with less than a season of starting experience combined.

To the OP, thanks for sharing the story.

I think his agents messed up - they even admitted as much. After all, you don't give two separate $6.5 million dollar bonuses, which would have been silly.

Why is that silly? It means there's essentially a contract reneg in the middle of your contract... If you play well enough, we'll give you a second bonus which we'll spread out over the final years of your deal. If not, you're cut and that's that. It's the equivalent of a mid-year review, in a sense.

Tell you what -- I do miss LaVar. Even if he had trouble, he was still one of two gamechangers on defense, like against Carolina. Even in his last year, I remember a game (SF?) where he was getting into the backfield and causing trouble. The Skins only had two money gamechangers on D, and now they're both gone. It's a pity neither left on their own terms.

Anybody besides me think that possibly that the way LA and AA were handled is the reason GW is not the current HC?

Maybe AA, but hard to see the LA situation affecting GW's chances to replace Gibbs. LA was probably one of the few issues that GW and Snyder agreed on -- they both hated him at the end.

I drank all night with a couple guys from his native Pittsburgh who were football players. They were at the same camp with Lavar in high school and said that he was the nicest person they had ever met who was at that level of playing. You couldn't say a bad word about him in their presence. One guy was a great running back who should have been at Penn State, but he felt he was the victim of reverse racism towards white running backs. They were very good people. Drove me back to my hotel instead of letting me get a cab.

I have always loved him and I feel that things would have gone so much differently had he not been involved with Carl and Kevin Poston. Lavar is a loyal guy, but he got snowed badly by them.

I would love to see him back in some capacity with the Skins, but it doesn't look like that will ever happen. If players like BM can't get back in then Lavar is not getting there.

You can tell he's a good guy. Cheers Lavar.

I do think, however, that during the whole situation with Lindsey, if the fans knew exactly how it all played out, they may likely have sided with Lindsey....

Actually, from what I heard Lindsey was a jerk who nobody really liked.

IMO, Gibbs should have done his job and intervened.

It is weird ( a good weird if that makes any sense) how this fanbase seems to be opening back up to Arrington. He seemed to be on everyones :pooh: list for a while there. Ever since ST's funeral and the speech that LA gave.. it seems to be all turning around for him.

I've thought about this a little, I loved Lavar as a leader on our team, I wasn't happy when he left and/or how he left. But I think seeing and hearing him at Sean's funeral made alot of fan's change from disappointment to forgiveness. That there is alot more important things in this world than football.

:logo:

But I think seeing and hearing him at Sean's funeral made alot of fan's change from disappointment to forgiveness. :logo:

Unfortunately, that doesn't include the one fan that matters, Mr. Snyder. Until that relationship is patched up, you can forget about it.

I'd love to see it happen, as I've gotten over any bitterness I had towards LaVar and understand that he wasn't alone in being wrong. The whole situation was mishandled by everyone, no exceptions.

Too bad.

That's nice. He's going to have to buy me about infinity shots before I say lets bring LA back. Thanks, but no thanks.
If you ever get that drunk where you endorse Lavar returning, I'll put you in a cab and send you home myself. :)

Anybody besides me think that possibly that the way LA and AA were handled is the reason GW is not the current HC?

That and the '06 defense.

I don't see LaVar playing football again. I'm not sure whether he'd physically be able to, but even if he were, I think the things he went through the last few years of his NFL life(both here and on the Giants) would convince him that he is done playing.

Why is that silly? It means there's essentially a contract reneg in the middle of your contract... If you play well enough, we'll give you a second bonus which we'll spread out over the final years of your deal. If not, you're cut and that's that. It's the equivalent of a mid-year review, in a sense.

That isn't the situation - he was claiming that he would receive, in total, a $13 million bonus, except as two $6.5 million bonuses. The issue was nothing about one of these bonuses being spread out over the final years of the deal. We are not talking about a signing bonus - we are talking about a roster bonus, which is usually immediately paid (and the reason why many players are cut before such bonuses).

That is the reason why I called it "silly," because 1) $13 million is a huge roster bonus, and one that is probably unrealistic, and 2) the bonus would be in one lump sum. It wouldn't be the (2) $6.5 million bonuses, as LaVar and his agents (the Postons) were claiming in the dispute and arbitration. The agents claim was that it was "left out" and LaVar admitted that he hadn't read the contract.

Tell you what -- I do miss LaVar. Even if he had trouble, he was still one of two gamechangers on defense, like against Carolina. Even in his last year, I remember a game (SF?) where he was getting into the backfield and causing trouble. The Skins only had two money gamechangers on D, and now they're both gone. It's a pity neither left on their own terms.

I agree, fully. I will always remember the interception against the Panthers, where he ran it back for a TD and a chance to save a season for the team (who were 0 - 5 at that time and desperate for a win).

It really is too bad.

Archived