Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Len Bias movie

Spaceman Spiff

Is that supposed to be funny Mench?

Dude, have some respect at least.

The movie could be good; that was a HUGE deal for people like me who were Terp fans when they sucked. I was actually at the PG Mall in 90 when his brother Jay was shot and killed.

That poor family has suffered pretty bad.

Is that supposed to be funny Mench?

Dude, have some respect at least.

have respect for what? a promising college athlete shoots coke right after getting drafted by the NBA and his heart explodes or something. At least he was an example of consequeces for stupid decisions. I remember at that time, they tried to claim it was Bias' first time using cocaine. But later " A district court and court of appeals found that Bias had been an intravenous drug user."

Btw, why so sensitive all the sudden BigMike?

and its SO true too..all of MD, DC, VA were Hoya fans. It wasnt until Len came to MD that they got some respect finally..

WTF!!!

All of MD, DC and VA were Hoya fans???

I don't know what you were smoking but that was not true.

MD had a big following at least in MD before Len Bias came along. It just got bigger after he arrived.

If you had said that a lot of MD, DC and VA jumped on the Hoyas bandwagon after there short success, then I would have agreed with you, but to say that all of MD were Hoya fans is absurd. :rolleyes:

A documentary would be interesting.

The only way to make a movie about Len Bias would be to have him die in the first fifteen minutes and follow the story after that - the impact on his family, on the school, on Lefty...you couldn't do much on the Celtics because the only person in that organization who interacted with him in any meaningful way was Auerbach.

A documentary would be interesting.

The only way to make a movie about Len Bias would be to have him die in the first fifteen minutes and follow the story after that - the impact on his family' date=' on the school, on Lefty...you couldn't do much on the Celtics because the only person in that organization who interacted with him in any meaningful way was Auerbach.[/quote']

And on the American war on drugs. Before Len Bias, coke was just seen as a recreational drug. After Len Bias died, it became a dangerous scourge.

If you've ever read Killing Pablo, the Mark Bowden book on Pablo Escobar, the death of Len Bias hurt his wallet more than all of the combined efforts of the Columbian and US drug authorities combined.

have respect for what? a promising college athlete shoots coke right after getting drafted by the NBA and his heart explodes or something. At least he was an example of consequeces for stupid decisions. I remember at that time, they tried to claim it was Bias' first time using cocaine. But later " A district court and court of appeals found that Bias had been an intravenous drug user."

Btw, why so sensitive all the sudden BigMike?

all of a sudden? how funny would it be to you if it was a sean taylor joke?

would you be defending a man who is making a joke about how the movie ends then?

Huh? No one even knew who the Hoyas were until 1981 when Ewing showed up. MD was the only game in town for 20 years before that.

MD was a joke and I am talking about the 80s. If you check my age I am 34. So that would mean I would have gotten into sports around 81 when Ewing showed up.

edit: Ive noticed that there are 2 of you now that have said something about what I had to say about the Hoyas. Check the age people, I am 10 years younger then one of you and 7 then the other. You may remember some great Terps time from before then but I was not. Its simple math...I wouldnt remember what happened in the 70s if I was born in the 70s..

all of a sudden? how funny would it be to you if it was a sean taylor joke?

would you be defending a man who is making a joke about how the movie ends then?

ST = bad analogy, he didn't use drugs or cause his own death. I didn't think that the joke was in that bad of tatse, rather you over reacted, because you're a MD. fan. I'm not, and I'm not a fan of overpaid prof. althetes, especially ones that use drugs and kill themselves. I don't understand the hero worship of Len Bias. So he could play ball big deal.

ST = bad analogy, he didn't use drugs or cause his own death. I didn't think that the joke was in that bad of tatse, rather you over reacted, because you're a MD. fan. I'm not, and I'm not a fan of overpaid prof. althetes, especially ones that use drugs and kill themselves. I don't understand the hero worship of Len Bias. So he could play ball big deal.

It was an accident that he died. He was a kid with tremendous talent that happened to **** up and paid the ultimate price for it. And I simply dont think that making a joke about "he dies at the end" is in good taste when its obvious that we were going to talk about a movie on his life.

And an ST analogy would be great if you and I werent both Skins fans. Think of it as if you were a Raiders fan and the Skins didnt mean anything to you.

Regardless of your age, you're talking out your ass with that statement, BM.

bwaaaaaaahahahahaha..sure I am. I am not talking about what I remembered whatsoever. I just made that up so that people like you would think I am cool.

Please Dan, please oh please think I am cool. :silly:

It was an accident that he died. He was a kid with tremendous talent that happened to **** up and paid the ultimate price for it. And I simply dont think that making a joke about "he dies at the end" is in good taste when its obvious that we were going to talk about a movie on his life.

And an ST analogy would be great if you and I werent both Skins fans. Think of it as if you were a Raiders fan and the Skins didnt mean anything to you.

All drug overdoses are "accidents." I just dont see why people worship Bias. He killed himself with drugs and wasted the talent that he had. He isnt someone that should be looked up to, he's a cautionary tale of what NOT to be.

Not anywhere CLOSE to Sean Taylor being murdered in a home invasion.

All drug overdoses are "accidents." I just dont see why people worship Bias. He killed himself with drugs and wasted the talent that he had. He isnt someone that should be looked up to, he's a cautionary tale of what NOT to be.

Not anywhere CLOSE to Sean Taylor being murdered in a home invasion.

Beat me to it. ST and Bias are totally different.

If you want to compare Bias to a football player, compare him to Don Rogers, who also died of a cocaine overdose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Rogers_%28American_football%29

I'm not from the area, but I don't get all the Bias worship either. Everyone says he could have been great if he hadn't died. How do you know he wouldn't have pissed his career away like Chris Washburn did????

The only thing offensive about the joke is that we're supposed to think it's funny.....

MD was a joke and I am talking about the 80s. If you check my age I am 34. So that would mean I would have gotten into sports around 81 when Ewing showed up.

When do you think Bias played? He was drafted in 1986. :doh: I think your memory is a little foggy, bro.

EDIT: His freshman season was 82-83.

Nope, wrong again. The ST analogy is completely bogus. In addition to what PB said, ST was changing his life around, raising his daughter, and a pillar in the community; someone worth idolizing and looking up to.

When do you think Bias played? He was drafted in 1986. :doh: I think your memory is a little foggy, bro.

EDIT: His freshman season was 82-83.

Nope, wrong again. The ST analogy is completely bogus. In addition to what PB said, ST was changing his life around, raising his daughter, and a pillar in the community; someone worth idolizing and looking up to.

I have been trying to let this just die off because it is obvious that I liked Bias alot as a player and see this as a tragic event but here we go:

How is my memory foggy if I say I remember him from MD? If he was drafted in 86 then he spent his 4 years at MD since 82 which is the EARLY 80s!!

He was a local boy who went to the same HS as my father which makes it personal. He was born in Landover which made him local and personal. I worked at Cole Field House in 90 and that makes it personal. I lived down the street in Hyattsville so when he came to MD it was a big deal.

And if you want to talk about analogies it DOES count because Len had NO past instances where he got in trouble with the law and he got caught up doing drugs (I had never heard that he was a IV user by the way). He like Sean was a decorated player (2 time ACC player of the year and ACC Athelete of the year as well). The Celtics have even said that if he hadnt died that his impact on that team would have kept them in the title race every year.

So maybe the joke is a little more personal to me but it was in bad taste regardless and shouldnt have been made.

Archived