Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Len Bias movie

Spaceman Spiff

All drug overdoses are "accidents." I just dont see why people worship Bias. He killed himself with drugs and wasted the talent that he had. He isnt someone that should be looked up to, he's a cautionary tale of what NOT to be.

Not anywhere CLOSE to Sean Taylor being murdered in a home invasion.

thankyou :applause:

Maryland was more know in the late 70's then Georgtown, with the moderate success of Lefty, Buck Williams and Len Elmore. But Maryland never had the national following because they never had the "it" recruit at the time. Bias turned out to be a college superstar and was well know before the Celtics drafted him (contrary to what Heidenreich said earlier) and basically mauled the ACC, Jordan included. The Hoyas gained national prominance because of their star recruit, Ewing and for the fact that they played in not 1, but 2 national title games. That is the difference.

I don't think BigMIke was trying to compare the 2 deaths and they are not comparible, but some of us did not know about Bias drug problem (me included) until the day he died. He WAS looked at as a local hero whether you want to think that or not. I was and still am a huge Terrapins fan and the man was all world on the court. No, he shouldn't be looked at as a hero and I don't think a movie should be made unless it's message is anti-drug. But with a basketball superstar, it will be impossible.

I was really pissed when Boston landed him as their pick. At the time, I had had it up to hear with the Lakers and Celtics. I look at NBA films now and appreciate the teams of the 80's, but at that time I was silently hoping the Bullets would somehow draft him. I think we got stuck with Muggsy Bogues or Hot Plate Williams or someone that turned out to be a stiff. It was the beginning of the end of the Celtics. They haven't won a championship since.

I was only 8 at the time this went down, so I will take your word for it pj.

Although I still think this story may not have had the same effect had he been drafted by the Dallas Mavericks or a team of that ilk.....

I was only 8 as well, but I will remember it forever. I was a not a fan of Maryland, but Bias was an incredible player.His potential was limitless, but he made a bad decision. Whether it was the first time, or the 500th, it was a terrible decision.

I was only 8 at the time this went down, so I will take your word for it pj.

Although I still think this story may not have had the same effect had he been drafted by the Dallas Mavericks or a team of that ilk.....

Truthfully, he like other college athletes during that time, never got a regular role as freshmen and sophomores. He broke out during his junior year and was a monster his senior year. He would have gone in the top 3 regardless if the Celts or any other team was in that #2 position. It was apparent that Daughtery was going #1. The Celtics lucked out by getting the pick from Seattle, in the 1984 trade of Gerald Henderson. Bias may have been in Seattle if not for that trade. I wasn't trying to dispell anything you said except that he wasn't well know before Boston took him or before the draft. He was actually more polished a player then Brad Daugherty, but Brad was a 7 footer and EVERYONE wanted the next Ewing.

Archived