Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Andre Carter vs. Demarcus Ware - Who is the better all-around player

doncherry

And I suppose that's why he got a sack, forced fumble in BOTH games last year, along with regular pressures? He was a hair away from several more sacks.

Whatever. You're wrong. Samuels has consistently gotten the better of Ware. I have no idea what games you've been watching.

]']I think its safe to say that Ware is' date=' at least, above average in coverage. Whereas Carter is at best below average in run support.[/quote']

I was VERY critical of Carter in his first season regarding his run support. He was getting locked up by his man - inside no less - and was getting beat around the edge consistently all season. He was a liability.

With that being said... Carter was a COMPLETELY different DE this past season in run support. He held up his man at the POA and shed his block consistently to make the play. He was by far our best defensive lineman this past season.

I was thoroughly impressed this past season with Carter... and I haven't been that impressed by any Skins linemen with the exception of Cornelius Griffin's first year with the Skins... and the HUGE d-linemen was borrowed from Miami for 1 year before he left for Denver and was never to be heard from again.

If anyone gets a chance to re-watch last year's games... focus on Carter. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised.

With that being said... I'd take Ware over Carter without a split second hesitation.

The fact is, I've watched most of the pukes' games last year, and even Ellis is a better player than Ware. Ware benefits from a five man attack on most plays, whereas Carter is a DE in a four line rush...yet, Carter's sack numbers were very close to Ware's last year.

I respect my fellow Skins' fans views, here, but I believe many have fallen prey to the puke/Aikman/Buck hype. Ellis is better than Ware. In 2006, Ellis was injured and the puke's defense was dismal. At the beginning of 2007, a Dallas Morning News columnist began calling Ware "Demarcus Where".

The point is, Where looks pretty good because of his supporting cast and scheme...and Carter looks less impressive for the same reason.

I can understand the bias here...the pukes benefit from the largest, most casual, fan base of modern sports...and the hype machine behind it.

Sometimes it's difficult to break through to see the reality.

Ellis is a good player as well.

But you also have to keep in mind... that even on plays where Ware doesn't make the play... he forces things... or he's a split-second too late. Some games he makes up that difference.... and he gets the stats. Some games he doesn't.... and that's just that nature of the game. But he's always in the game.... and you always have to account for him because sooner or later he's going to make a game-changing play. He rarely has a game where he doesn't have an impact play.

But I don't fault a guy who comes within a hair of making a play 90% of the time. Offensive schemes/playcalling can definitely play into it. He's always active in the backfield... all the time... so you know something is always going to happen.

You can't say the same about Carter... who basically picks up his sacks on obvious passing downs when he pins his ears back. Big difference.

Whatever. You're wrong. Samuels has consistently gotten the better of Ware. I have no idea what games you've been watching.

I'm not saying that Samuels was dominated by Ware, not at all. But there were plenty of time in 07 where he would come within a hair of a sack. There were also times where Ware was a complete non-factor. It's just that...well, in the Pro Bowl, NONE of the (pro bowl-caliber, obviously) DEs he went up against got any pressure. Maybe I'm being a little hard on him (I think 2007 was possibly Samuels' best year), but Ware gave him much more trouble than anyone else.

i only read the first 20 posts, but i was happy (and surprised a bit, i must say) to see that people are objective enough to at least see and admit that ware is better than carter.

i do think that zen-like todd was correct in saying that carter is a bit underrated by 'skins fans though.

The numbers say that Ware is a better player but they play two different positions. Ware is a OLB in a 3-4 defense and is accustom to that position. He is also a liability in pass defense. Why do you think he he doesn't drop into pass coverage that many times and rushes the passer? Carter's natural position is DE but San Fran tried to make him a OLB and his production in sacks were not what they were when he was playing his natural position. So IMO I would take both but for pure ability at their natural positions I would take Carter. Ware can't cover as a LB that is why he rushes the passer.

The point is, Where looks pretty good because of his supporting cast and scheme...and Carter looks less impressive for the same reason.

Are you saying the boys have THAT much better of a secondary than the skins?

Are you saying the boys have THAT much better LBs than the skins?

Are you saying that Ware only looks better than Carter because the other 10 guys on the skins are THAT much worse than the other 10 boys?

Dont know how many would agree with you...

This is a pretty ridiculous question.

They play two different positions in two different type defenses.

This is like comparing Jansen to Witten.

What is the point here?

Athletic-wise, it is probably Ware, but not by much.

I agree with the other poster that Carter, unfortunately, is underrated by most Redskin fans (especially MANY of the fans on this board who have a hate-hate relationship with the D-Line :) ).

This is a pretty ridiculous question.

They play two different positions in two different type defenses.

This is like comparing Jansen to Witten.

What is the point here?

Athletic-wise, it is probably Ware, but not by much.

I agree with the other poster that Carter, unfortunately, is underrated by most Redskin fans (especially MANY of the fans on this board who have a hate-hate relationship with the D-Line :) ).

i disagree. they play two VERY similar positions in different schemes. it's not that far-fetched to compare a DE in a 4-3 to an OLB in a 3-4.

i disagree. they play two VERY similar positions in different schemes. it's not that far-fetched to compare a DE in a 4-3 to an OLB in a 3-4.

Totally agree with you. Especially considering Ware is a pass rusher as is Carter and the fact that carter played OLB in a 3-4 in SF.

Yes, it really is.

If all you really care about is speed off the edge, then I suppose you're right. There aren't many guys quicker/faster going up the field than Ware.

The thing is, defensive coaches realize there is more to playing the edge than burst off the ball. And that's where the gap narrows.

Ummm. I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that one. I think Cooley is the better player. By the slightest margin though.

Until Cooley breaks from out of 700 yards per season AND breaks into the 1,000+ yard category, he is NOT better than Witten.

Archived