Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

GPS system???

rdsknbill

I have the Magellan: Its slightly bigger than the rest and you can see it during the day... I contantly hear: recalculating route, but thats my fault for having a womens voice.. never have been able to listen.

Amazon.com has great comparisons and peoples comments.

Depends...are you trying to get an in-dash multimedia/navi unit that will act as your navi and your Cd player/mp3/dvd/everything you could possibly want? (this is what I recommend)

the best unit out when taking price/value into consideration is the Pioneer AVIC-D3....you can get it along w/ the IPOD adapter and Bluetooth adapter (which are a must) for about 800 bucks on amazon.com. I'd imagine it would cost between 100-200 bucks for installation.

If you aren't trying to spend that much, get a garmin.....They are the best, don't waste your money on some other wannabes like Magellan or Tom Tom (I'm sure Tom Tom and Magellon make some navigations systems that are decent, but for every good one, there are two bad ones!) Garmin is very reputable and are most commonly known as the best. You can get a lower end garmin portable unit for 300-400 dollars.

I've been wanting to get a multimedia/navi unit to replace my stock Acura unit for quite some time now (I've got an older navi from '00 that needs to be upgraded!) I'm going to wait for someone to put out a reasonably priced unit that offers HD radio (as most units these days don't)

Good luck and I hope this helped!

I have the Garmin Nuvi, and like it a lot. It's about the size of a deck of cards (a little thinner) and easily removable from the mount to take with you if you're switching cars or nervous about the place you're parking. It sometimes takes a few minutes for it to find the satellite, especially if you start off in a parking garage, which can be frustrating if you really don't know where you're going, but that's really my only complaint. Lots of good pre-programmed search options for the closest gas station, ATM, Chinese restaurant, etc. And you can easily search by name of business if you don't know the address. I haven't compared it to others on the market, so don't know how these features compare for the price (received it as a gift), but I've been very happy with it.

I have the Garmin Nuvi, and like it a lot. It's about the size of a deck of cards (a little thinner) and easily removable from the mount to take with you if you're switching cars or nervous about the place you're parking. It sometimes takes a few minutes for it to find the satellite, especially if you start off in a parking garage, which can be frustrating if you really don't know where you're going, but that's really my only complaint. Lots of good pre-programmed search options for the closest gas station, ATM, Chinese restaurant, etc. And you can easily search by name of business if you don't know the address. I haven't compared it to others on the market, so don't know how these features compare for the price (received it as a gift), but I've been very happy with it.

Sounds like you have the same Garmin nuvi 200W I have. I bought mine a couple of months ago for around $200 or so. It's pretty easy to use, but like you said, if you're in a parking garage or sometimes if the cloud coverage is pretty thick, it will take a few minutes to locate the satellite. When that happens, if you just drive for a block or two, it will usually find the satellite & then simply reroute you or tell you to make a u-turn.

GPS? what are you getting senile, or do you just want another toy for the wundertruck?

I heard the new Tundra comes standard with GPS :laugh:

Dean,

Seems like you weren't paying attention. I no longer have "wundertruck" 4.25 for diesel was just too much. As much as it pained me to get rid of it, I just didn't have a need for it anymore.

I have a 2006 tahoe now. Senility has nothing to do with it. When I have 15 calls in Pittsburgh over two days, it makes it easier to navigate the city without using googlemaps or the old Rand McNally atlas to figure out the best route to get the most done with the least distance

Dean,

Seems like you weren't paying attention. I no longer have "wundertruck" 4.25 for diesel was just too much. As much as it pained me to get rid of it, I just didn't have a need for it anymore.

I have a 2006 tahoe now. Senility has nothing to do with it. When I have 15 calls in Pittsburgh over two days, it makes it easier to navigate the city without using googlemaps or the old Rand McNally atlas to figure out the best route to get the most done with the least distance

my bad. damn that's a lot of calls, how many crews do you have?

I have the Magellan Maestro 4000. It gets me to where I need to go and that is all I can ask from this system.

magellan-maestro.jpg

magellan-maestro-495.jpg

As soon as they come out with a GPS system that slings insults, I won't be getting another one soon. Can you imagine when you take a wrong turn and then havhe the GPS insult you and call you a dumbass and what not. :laugh:

my dad got me this one (essentially) for christmas/birthday a year ago. Garmin 2820 .

it's definitely high end and more than i need. that being said, it's been a lifesaver for me this year. i've done a lot of sales-related travel that has me hitting several destinations in multiple cities. while i could do it the old fashioned way, having GPS has been awesome. when i'm on familiar ground, i use it as my XM radio, which is nice too. mine doesn't have a built in FM modulator, so there are three wires that i have to arrange in the car; other models do have the FM mod built in.

i'd say go for one of the less expensive garmin options, personally.

I have the Tom Tom One . . . it appears as if a previous poster didn't have nice things to say about Tom Tom but my One has always gotten me where I needed to go without taking me down any wrong routes. Next time I will probably get a unit with a better battery but I have had no issues with the software/directions.

Archived