Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Obama: Grandmother "Typical White Person"

Duncan

On the one hand I am glad to see Obama speak from his heart but honestly, that guy is starting to give Dubya a run for his money in saying stupid ****..

Perhaps, in the sense that the Tonga Defense Services are beginning to rival the Chinese People's Liberation Army in numbers.

Disclaimer: I'm sorry to derail the thread. The above linked article is no excuse for my actions, because I am not stopping myself and I take responsibility for myself. :)

I'm really disgusted by Buchanon with this drivel.

The thing he fails to see is that everything has been by the majority's terms for the past 225 years. So for him to say, "Let's have a two way conversation," as though civil rights have always been black's telling white's what to do is really disingenuous.

/short rant

He's for sure a typical. Old people make me sad.

Young people give me hope.

And by old I mean, like, 50 plus. At least.

Sen. Obama doesn't even want me to get STARTED on 'typical' in terms of his life.

:)

It reads as though you're represing some animosity, or at least disdain. I'd wager (from observing him to date) that if he was here and had the time he'd love for you to express your views on "typical" as it relates to his life, though I'm not really clear on why you've put that together as a topic.:):silly:

It reads as though you're represing some animosity, or at least disdain. I'd wager (from observing him to date) that if he was here and had the time he'd love for you to express your views on "typical" as it relates to his life, though I'm not really clear on why you've put that together as a topic.:)

Nevermind. I know my role. If he wants to insult the woman who raised him after his father abandoned him, then I suppose that's his prerogative.

And yeah, I guess I am repressing some animosity. But far less animosity than would be expressed by others if John McCain refered to "typical black people."

Nevermind. I know my role. If he wants to insult the woman who raised him after his father abandoned him, then I suppose that's his prerogative.

And yeah, I guess I am repressing some animosity. But far less animosity than would be expressed by others if John McCain refered to "typical black people."

let it out brother..

Jumbo loves you no matter what!!

I read this post, and I am left without understanding most of it with any clarity, other than the obvious reflections of your normal ongoing themes that it contains (no dissing intended--this time:silly: ). No worries, as they say, amigo.

So, reading some of your other posts in BigMikes thread, and given that I was mainly goofing around here:D , I think I'll excuse myself for now.:cheers:

h_h's post made me think, so I went back and re-read the quote.

But she is a typical white person who, uh, if she sees somebody on the street that she doesn't know there's a reaction that's been been bred into our experiences that don't go away and that sometimes come out in the wrong way and that's just the nature of race in our society.

I guess I didn't really focus on the our part the first time around.

The question to me now becomes, how do we see the our part. Does he mean our as in us white people, or as in us people?

I read this post, and I am left without understanding most of it with any clarity, other than the obvious reflections of your normal ongoing themes that it contains (no dissing intended--this time:silly: ). No worries, as they say, amigo.

So, reading some of your other posts in BigMikes thread, and given that I was mainly goofing around here:D , I think I'll excuse myself for now.:cheers:

Nah, Jumbus. It ain't you. My apologies for my frustration.

when/why did you ask for a ban HH? ES is a better place with you here.

I'll shoot you a PM in a bit.

Sorry for the sidetrack, yet again, y'all. :cheers:

This is so depressing. I mean, with all this country is facing and this is the kind of nonsense that dominates discussion and the news? Unbelievable.

Right and left, we are a nation of five-year-olds. We don't elect people based on the issues anymore. Hell, we don't even discuss the issues. If it's not a soundbyte, if it's something that makes us have to think... well, screw that. It's insanity and it is hurting our country in so many ways no matter what political party you cheer for. Because we do cheer now. Politics have become like sports -- except we pay attention to the important stuff in football.

Ah hell, I need a beer and for the NFL draft to hurry up and get here.

:cheers:

So it seems you're making the assumption that by using the words "typical white person" he's saying all white people are the same.

Reading the context in which he used that term, though, isn't it just as likely he's saying his grandmother is typical of the kind of white person who has the specific reaction he describes to being approached on the street by a stranger of another color? Fact is, there are many such white people. Just as there are many such people of other colors that have similar reactions to the specific scenario in reverse.

I'm not defending his comment or criticizing it. Just pointing out that taking the term "typical white person" totally out of context has little useful value in trying to parse what's in Obama's heart. I'm sure that won't stop anyone from taking the phrase and running with it, though.

om i have great respect for your opinions on football and enjoy your reads, however you have to be nuts with this one here.

im a fairly liberal person and i cant defend that statement in any manner and i am shocked at your feeble attempt to disguise a leopard showing his spots.

after all the stuff with rev wright he comes out and uses a term like "typical white person"

i was totally backing him and was excited to hear his speech that day and my jaw hit the floor when he made that statement. HE LOST MY VOTE THAT DAY AT THAT EXACT MOMENT THOSE WORDS CAME OUT OF HIS MOUTH.

i live in memphis and we could talk all night about double standards because i live it every day.

please dont ever insult my intelligence again by defending garbage like this.

ps - and by using the term "typical white person" he WAS IN FACT lumping us all together. you CANNOT define it any other way!

Examples of hate that are not Youtube clips under five minutes.

Clock is ticking

Hey buddy, I'm not going to deny that Rev. Wright probably gives non-racially-motivated sermons too. My problem with him is that when he interjects divisive, irresponsible speech into some of his sermons, in however small portions he might do so, he does much to negate the progress he may have made in other sermons.

It's just that this is how I was raised. I was always taught that you can build up a lot of trust or you can make a lot progress with something, but it can be destroyed in an instant with irresponsible actions...and that's what I see Rev. Wright doing.

But again, Wright really isn't the topic of this thread, and I've already stated that I believe Obama is sincere in wanting to rise above racial issues...and there are other reasons that factor into why he won't be getting my vote.

Archived