Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who was the worst quarterback in Redskin history?

moss1981

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I'd have to go with Ralph Guglielmi, who started 20 games for us in the late '50s and early '60s. In guiding us to a 1-9-2 record in 1960, he did much of the work that led to a whooping career QB rating of 46.5!!! (Admittedly, QB ratings are lower for that era . . . but throwing 52 INTs to 24 TDs is bad no matter when you played...)

If you mean "worst in recent history," I might have to give the nod to Schuler. However, I'm not a big fan of your list: as others have pointed out, Trent Green and Brad Johnson have no business being on there. I'd also say that Ferotte and Brunell should be taken off; anyone who lasts that long in the league has had some success, even if they're not a stud. (For the record, I think Brunell did pretty well here.) And including Chris "not Chip" Hakel, who never started for us, probably isn't the best idea either, since we've had an awful lot of guys who never made it far from the practice squad. (I doubt anyone can make a real argument that Hakel was better or worse than Jordan Palmer, who was also a 'Redskins QB.') And, as my "vote" suggests, the list covers a pretty limited historical period.

Sonny Jurgensen. He would constantly score 38 points when we needed 41. I mean really.

(Toungue planted firmly in cheek)

Bullcrap!!!!! Jurgensen was WAAAAAY better than that punk Sammy Baugh. Baugh threw almost 100 more interceptions in his career than Jurgensen. Jurgensen "just won games," had all the intangibles, and was a leader on and off the field. Baugh was a locker-room cancer and a game manager-type who didn't win games for us (he'd "not lose" games for us).

(Tongue planted equally firmly in cheek.)

Guys you are not even close with that list. From the time I have been watching (since 1982) the worst QB we had under centre hands down was Cary Conklin.

He started 2 games in '93 which was Pettibones year as Head Coach. Ryp got hurt and he was the backup.

I'm from the UK and though I travel to the US quite a bit I dont get to watch many games live and in person. One of the few I have sen was the Monday night game at Miami when Conklin got the start.

He was pityful. Not just bad but embarrasing.

At one point in the 3rd quarter he dropped back to pass, stood frozen for a couple of seconds and then dropped to take a give up sack with no pressure - he was prostrate on the ground waiting for the tap from a defender to finish the play. Even the Miami fans booed him.

He was pulled after that and Rich Gannon came in and threw a late TD but too little too late.

Trust me anybody on your list is a Hall of Fame candidate versus Cary :doh:

Heath Shuler.

The poster boy for First round busts!

That year it was him or Trent Dilfer. Trent of course went on to be a super bowl winning QB, and actually had a career. Heath Shuler / Andre Johnson/ Reggie Brooks / Michael Westbroke. This foursome was to be the corner stone of the championship dynasty... :(

1. Shuler, he was a high pick and did squat. Apparently he is just a terrible athlete. When he was elected, the Democrats thought they had a ringer for their annual baseball game. But check this out:

Rep. Heath Shuler (D-N.C.): The former Redskins quarterback had a bad week, and not just because he went 0-3 with two strikeouts in his debut as a member of the Democratic baseball team.

2. Jeff George, because of the play when he sat down on the field and waited 3 seconds to be sacked by a touch on the helmet. To which the announcer could only say "Wow".

I voted for Tony Banks only because you had to hold your breath every down just to see if he could get the handoff. He must have fumbled 20 snaps in a season.

Honorable Mention goes to Patrick Ramsey. I can't believe he played here as long as he did. Saints game is all I have to say about him.

Archived