Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

You guys wanted this, now you got it!!

#21Taylor4Ever

You are correct, we have drafted some pretty good players over the past few years. I just think we should snatch up some of these FAs while we can. Wilford, Smith....or maybe we just trade a 3rd for Jason Taylor, draft Sweed, then get a CB in round 2.

Either way man, I think you must exhaust ALL possiblities in order to win.

so you would of paid Wilford 13 milliion for 4 years with 6 million signing bonus to be our "WR". someone who best season is 45 receptions and in another of his 4 years his best yardage is 681. I think he got overpaid for what he has done so far.

and for Smith you would of put out $45 million for 6 years that included $20 million in guarantees. Again, I think that is being overpaid.

and the FO did what they said they will do this year, is NOT OVERPAY for FA as we have in the past.

Everyone's talking about filling holes, but look at the free agents this year. Aside from a few players....free agency is pretty barren this year. I actually agree when Vinny and Snyder on this one. When Justin Smith, who never has had a year with double digit sacks, gets the coin he did then the market is to high and ridiculous to even attempt to go after these guys.

Im not saying I wanted us to go buckwild in free agency, but this is friggin ridiculous! Everyone in our division is making some noise(outside the defending SB champs) and we're just sitting around twiddling our thumbs. Now I've never been a fan of "buying a sb ring", but I'm also not a fan of not filling any holes. Maybe I'm overreacting a bit, but by the time Vinny lets the market settle, ALL the worthwhile players will be in new homes and new teams and we'll be going into the 08-09 season with ARE as our #2 WR and Phillip Daniels as our starting DE.

I am literally shocked that the ONLY moves we've made are signing Collins and Suisham(who all but cost us the playoff game versus the Sea****s).

Are we really looking at the highlight of the free agency period being Javon Walker and his 1.5 knees? And now I hear rumors of a Lito for Fitz deal.

Maybe this is just the case of High Life talking(dont talk **** it's only $4.99/6 pack), but I am a bit worried that our FO thinks the way to fix our OLine, DE, CB, WR issues lay at pick #21 and so on.

what's the mystery...they are still working to unf*** 10 years of roster mismanagement. this is gonna take a minimum of two years to fix. the funny part will be how honest they are with the fans about all of this. so far...they haven't stated what should be obvious:

- the personnel strategy to date was predicated on winning an immediate championship vice building for one long term

- we have an injury prone, aging O-line

- we have an inconsistent D-line that is average when it comes to applying pressure

- we have key injuries at LB and CB

- we lost our best player

- we have a QB with limited experience having to learn a new system

- we have new HC & DC & OC

- we have limited cap resources compared to other teams

- we have an offense that, to date, is scoring challenged in the Redzone

- we have smurfs for wideouts

It appears that we are changing philosophy and relying more on the draft. This is good...but:

- they should have thought of this when they had top 5 picks in each round rather than 21

- building through the draft is a solid strategy (football wise and financially) for the long run - assuming the FO/personnel can restock with quality - but it takes time.

Anyone who thinks this team will be competitive into the playoffs with all the change going on is nuts IMO. I wish the FO would be honest with the fans about this. Or...if they really think this team is on the cusp of a Championship....say so.

It's pretty obvious that you did not read much of this thread.

Its pretty obvious that I do have a life.

I read enough to figure out that for this organization, damn if they do, damn if they dont.

The question is..

Who exactly is there in this free agency period that we should go balls-out to sign in the first two days?

Aside from our tight purse, there is NO one out there that we really absolutely MUST pursue right this second. And the proof is in the pudding,, of the receivers and depth players who could help us, who is off the market already that we could have really used? How much did they get? Would it be worth it to us to have stepped up for them?

Is Ernest Wilford or Bernard Berrian that critical to our needs that we have to step up and pay them? The answer is no, they're not. Wiflord stinks. He can't muscle his way into the lineup on a team that can't spell WR. Bernard Berrian is Todd Pinkston with a little more guts. Woo. Someone wake me up when he earns the money.

Beyond that we need depth, OL depth, specifically. (I know we need DL help as well, but again, it's not like there are any really great pass rushers out there for the taking.

We simply don't have the need to go after these lower tier guys. I know Randy Moss is available, but we aren't going to be able to afford him. Oh well. If you ever got everything you ever wanted for Christmas, I'd be surprised.

I'd like to talk to Bryant Johnson, but as is evident, it's not like he's burning up the circuit. If he goes, he goes.

we have the luxury this year of being able to wait til round two, or even three, watch the prices move, watch the teams jockey. We simply do not have CRITICAL areas of need that absolutely MUST be addressed right this minute.

We're in a fine position right now.

But as written above by APBT, the team is damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

~Bang

What happened in the past when we went out and tried to buy a title? It backfired. Stop whining just because you want to see redskin breaking news. No one out there deserves the money they are getting. This is a chance to build our team and grow with the draft and have money in the future to reward our own for playing well. Look at the past 5 super bowl champions and tell me if ANY one of them went crazy in free agency.

None of the rookies deserve the money they are getting either. I don't see how the 'skins will be "saving" money. By "gambling" on an unproven rookie? They need to first realize the players they need to upgrade, then, try evaluating the talent in free agency vs the draft. If Vinnie Cerato is in charge of that-which he is. I say FIRE his uneducated butt! He's a waste of hot air! He obviously has no clue.

My bold predictions for this year will be after the draft but I am leaning towards a 5-11 season-TOPS!

So the "worthwhile" free agents are now gone, according to the OP as are our "targets", yet he doesn't mention that those targets are not necessarily the Redskins' targets, but his. I agree that the people that have signed those big contracts aren't worth the kind of money they are getting, and I am glad we are curtailing our previous off-season gaffes.

We can still look to June 1st cuts also, as there may be some surprise releases there as well. Of course, at that time everyone will probably say that we are getting other teams' garbage, even if it's soemone like Randy Moss. As many have said, there is no pleasing some people.

there is NO one out there that we really absolutely MUST pursue right this second. And the proof is in the pudding,, of the receivers and depth players who could help us, who is off the market already that we could have really used? How much did they get? Would it be worth it to us to have stepped up for them?

No, you're all wrong. Didn't you know??

We're in..........CAP HELL !!!!!

Let the Cowboys and Eagles pay for these guys.

The Giants are losing players.

So far, I think the Redskins are winning the offseason in the division! We'll get involved eventually, I think, but so far I like the new restraint.

Hail,

H

I definitely agree with you. There's still plenty of time to add depth to our roster, and to do it responsibly. Just be patient, people

Let the Cowboys and Eagles pay for these guys.

The Giants are losing players.

So far, I think the Redskins are winning the offseason in the division! We'll get involved eventually, I think, but so far I like the new restraint.

Hail,

H

Winning what? We couldn't get any pressure on the opposing QB, we don't have a CB that is capable of covering a # 1 WR , Our starting QB has to learn yet another offensive system which is an obvious set back, we have a starting RB that can't finish a season healthy...so tell me again, how are we winning???

Anyone who thinks this team will be competitive into the playoffs with all the change going on is nuts IMO. I wish the FO would be honest with the fans about this. Or...if they really think this team is on the cusp of a Championship....say so.

Same old song and dance.

I guess Zorn saying Campbell doesn't have to worry, he is the starter and the team will make the playoffs, isn't the team displaying their confidence. Why don't all you doom-and-gloomers ever actually wait for something to happen before you spout off that we are doomed. You were saying this same stuff at the beginning of '07, how right were you? Oh, and I don't see how losing Taylor falls under "roster mismanagement".

I guess only teams like the Saints, Bears, Packers, etc. can bring in new coaches, new philosophies, can have great improvement in just one year. Because you don't like the FO it means we can't do it. And what are these major changes we are going through? Zorn bringing in a WCO? The D staff is the same save for GW, and most of our roster is intact. But go ahead and assume the FO is lying to us, that they are evil. I've always said even when they do things right people will complain just for the sake of complaining, and you, among others, are proving that point.

Oh, and making assessments like "we won't be competitive" when you don't even know what the whole product is we will put on the field, without ever seeing Zorn's team practice, is about as asinine as assuming the FO is lying to us and rebuilding the team, eventhough most of the roster is staying the same.

So the "worthwhile" free agents are now gone, according to the OP as are our "targets", yet he doesn't mention that those targets are not necessarily the Redskins' targets, but his. I agree that the people that have signed those big contracts aren't worth the kind of money they are getting, and I am glad we are curtailing our previous off-season gaffes.

We can still look to June 1st cuts also, as there may be some surprise releases there as well. Of course, at that time everyone will probably say that we are getting other teams' garbage, even if it's soemone like Randy Moss. As many have said, there is no pleasing some people.

I did not make up these targets while sitting on the ****ter. We've heard for the past few months that those players would be in our sights. Please dont pretend like you too did not think of Berrian, Wilford, Smith, etc in burgundy and gold. I also dont see how people can gauge what a person's worth is. Wilford played on a team with mediocre QBs, imagine what he and his 6'4" frame could do with a guy like JC who airs it out. Justin Smith was one of the top DEs during his first few seasons in the league(had a down one last year). Is he not better then Daniels? I dont know about you, but I'd take Berrian over ARE, Caldwell, Thrash, etc as our #2 WR. How about you?

Then there's those June 1st cuts. Oh yeah...lets sign some guy who couldn't stay on his own squad for whatever reason. Not saying there wont be a single one worth having, but a starter? I think not.

Same old song and dance.

I guess Zorn saying Campbell doesn't have to worry, he is the starter and the team will make the playoffs, isn't the team displaying their confidence. Why don't all you doom-and-gloomers ever actually wait for something to happen before you spout off that we are doomed. You were saying this same stuff at the beginning of '07, how right were you? Oh, and I don't see how losing Taylor falls under "roster mismanagement".

I guess only teams like the Saints, Bears, Packers, etc. can bring in new coaches, new philosophies, can have great improvement in just one year. Because you don't like the FO it means we can't do it. And what are these major changes we are going through? Zorn bringing in a WCO? The D staff is the same save for GW, and most of our roster is intact. But go ahead and assume the FO is lying to us, that they are evil. I've always said even when they do things right people will complain just for the sake of complaining, and you, among others, are proving that point.

Oh, and making assessments like "we won't be competitive" when you don't even know what the whole product is we will put on the field, without ever seeing Zorn's team practice, is about as asinine as assuming the FO is lying to us and rebuilding the team, eventhough most of the roster is staying the same.

Thank you. Whose to say that Gibbs was the one who put restrictor plates on this offense. He had a predicatable gameplan, sat on 7 pt leads, didnt know the rules, didn't know when to go for it on 4th down

Winning what? We couldn't get any pressure on the opposing QB, we don't have a CB that is capable of covering a # 1 WR , Our starting QB has to learn yet another offensive system which is an obvious set back, we have a starting RB that can't finish a season healthy...so tell me again, how are we winning???

Andre Carter 10.5 sacks last season. Shawn Springs can cover a #1 WR, perhaps that is why Blache wants to extend his contract.

Our starting QB ran the WCO in college, in his most succesful year there.

Other than 2006, name a season Clinton has not finished healthy, or missed more than one game. I'll wait.

The guy was saying we are winning because we aren't going crazy in FA right now. Of course neither are the Giants or Cowboys, so we are all at the same place right now. The Eagles, IMO, did not need Samuel, and overpaid for him when they already had 2 good corners. Would you prefer us do something like that so you all have something more substantive to complain about?

We are winning because we aren't going to be someone's payday. We have re-signed a knoweledgable back-up QB who helped the team reach the playoffs this past season, and we re-signed our kicker. But yeah, that and false assumptions about our players means we aren't winning.

Is the first game of the season tomorrow? I must have missed that memo. Dammit.

We're not being stupid. To me, that's winning. There isn't anyone out there that made me, or the Redskins apparently, drool.

It's impossible, no stupid, to criticize the team this early in Free Agency before he draft. There isn't a single player for the price that's been paid that I can say I wish we'd have gotten. Not a single one.

Yes, by being smart, we are winning right now.

Hail,

H

Archived