Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

In response to Oldskool's JLC reply....

RWJ

Nothing close to it because he won't come with as high a price tag thus he is a lower risk and already knows the Skins' Coach.

:rolleyes:

do you know who we are?? what player dont we overpay?? Hackett is a waste of money and will be dead cap space for however long he is here.

actually Schmitt is a nasty blocker and does have good hands. he would be a great pick no matter what round

Taking a FB in the first 3 rounds of the draft is stupidity.

Most FB's in the league are drafted 5th-7th rounds or are UDFA. Even in the WCO, its not a position that warrants such a first day or an early 2nd day draft pick, no matter the players talent.

Taking a FB in the first 3 rounds of the draft is stupidity.

Most FB's in the league are drafted 5th-7th rounds or are UDFA. Even in the WCO, its not a position that warrants such a first day or an early 2nd day draft pick, no matter the players talent.

What round was that FB from Rutgers taken last year. Who's now with STL. Just cause his title is FB, doesn't mean he can't do other things.

Schmitt can. He could be our Mike Alstott. How awesome would that be.

Well i disagree with the OP post. I think each of those picks would not work in Washington

A fullback can easily be found in the 5-7th rounds and maybe even as a undrafted rookie FA.

OL can be found anywhere in the draft and alot of them are found in rounds 3-5.

DT. We target Tommy Kelly or Corey Williams i believe for that. We desperately need a full time DL but dont expect too much production from that production

Im telling you, I wouldn't be suprised If the redskins signed Rod Coleman, I would be SILLY happy if they signed this guy because I know how good he is and hes flying reallllly low on FA because of his freak accident. He is the BIG motor DT w eneed and even though he is 30, he can help groom our young talent with griffin.

Griffin can step in on run stuffing plays and Coleman could step in at the pass rushing DT role. (exactly what we need)

I dont see why Dan Snyder doesnt get on here and just discuss these kinds of things with us.:silly: :laugh:

It doesn't seem likely that Pat Sims will be around by the time we pick in the 2nd round. Mel Kiper had him listed on his big board for a while as one of the best 32 prospects. Besides, Is Cornelius Griffin going to be let go? If he is staying, they should draft a defensive end to bring up as Daniels's successor since we already have Montgomery and Golston.

Mike Mayock seemed spastically enthusiastic about Brandon Albert, and he has him listed as one of the best offensive linemen in this year's draft. Also, he is getting a lot of press, especially for a guard. I wouldn't think that he would be drafted ahead of where Steve Hutchinson was at 17th, but I think he'll be drafted near the beginning of the second half of the first round. If he falls to the Redskins, I wouldn't be surprised if they pick him since he can play tackle too, and judging by Cerrato's words that is exactly what he wants. Why would he be expected to start though? A nice thing about picking him this year is that he wouldn't have to start because the old guys can still play.

As far as receivers go, given that this is a quality class, why wouldn't we draft one in the second or third round? (Or even later if Marcus Monk is around - he is 6'6" and has a great last name).

I think it would be silly to draft a fullback so high. A backup fullback in the 3rd round seems like an incredibly foolish luxury pick.

As far as receivers go' date=' given that, this is a quality class, why wouldn't we draft one in the second or third round? (Or even later if Marcus Monk is around - he is 6'6" and has a great last name).

I think it would be silly to draft a fullback so high. A backup fullback in the 3rd round seems like an incredibly foolish luxury pick.

[/quote']

I can't argue with you on both of those points. I dont see us drafting a FB that low, I dont care how talented he is. All he would do is play a reserve role to sellers and we can get a undrafted rookie or veteran to fill that role.

What people haven't brought up is that mike sellers is no spring chicken. He is 32 years old. Now, fullbacks usually have long careers due to their smaller workload but getting a replacement who would fit perfectly into the west coast offense wouldn't be a terrible idea. Peyton Hillis is slotted to be a 5th rounder and is possibly a little better at catching balls but owen schmitt is a monster blocker. Really either one I wouldn't mind getting, Hillis may be better value though. But you don't come across a player like Schmitt very often, he's an old school football player who just loves the game. He would instantly be a fan favorite. If we can trade down from our 3rd rounder and pick up some extra picks I wouldn't mind if we did that to get this guy.

Brandon Albert would be an awesome pick. The guy is exactly what we need. I would have a hard time choosing between Calais Campbell, Phillip Merling, and him if they were all on the board at that spot. If we could trade up higher into the 2nd and end up getting albert and one of those de's that would be a pretty awesome draft in my book. That'll probably cost us our 2nd and 3rd this year but it could be worth it.

I haved no problem with either Albert or Sims, both would fill needs and offer good value.

However, there is no way a FB should go in rd 3, keep in mind Schmitt isnt ven the top rated FB in the draft, Arkansas FB Peyton HIllis is the better player.

IMO, Schmitt will be avilable in rd 5.

In the OP's scenario, I would rather go LB, CB or DE in rd3

If you look at how Ben Grubbs performed this year, you know drafting a great guard can give you a cornerstone on the O-line for a decade. It's just a matter of whether we value OT or DT more.

And also who is left on the board when we pick at #21 - we need to take the best player available not reach to try to fill a hole. One thing I will say is I think its easier for a rookie to start and make an impact at guard as opposed to DT or DE.

It sounds like Albert is going to be a really good player and if he is still available at #21 a good pick. He would likely compete with Kendall in camp to start at LG.

If it came down to him and say Calais Campbell it would be an interesting decision.

Umm, why we need a FB??? Unless he can block like a lineman and catch like a WR, we don't need to get a FB!

Because the FB is actually quite an important part of a West Coast offense - dont forget Joe Gibbs ran a lot of one back and we are going to see a lot less of that under Z-Man. Think back to Tom Rathman for the Bill Walsh 49ers or Mike Alstott at Tampa. You need a guy who is versatile - can pass block as well as run block, is a good receiver and ideally can be a short yardage guy.

We have Mike Sellers who is excellent and a fan fav but he is the wrong side of 30 so we need some depth and a guy who can replace him.

The FO will, I expect, be looking at packages.

Something along the lines of:

Package 1 (as would fit with the OP)

If they draft OL followed by DL followed by FB who would still be there at our respective picks, who is the back up pick, and who is available in FA at WR and CB.

Package 2

If they draft WR followed by.....

etc etc so every possible combination is examined. Then you evaluate which route to take based on what you think are likely short/medium/long term outlooks. Add in that while we expect to have a winning season, even with it being Zorn's first as HC, likelyhood is no SB for at least 1 or 2 years. This means we also need to look at what will happen with the CAP and plan to have money under the cap should we feel a big signing in a few years will put us over the edge. Also we need to be able to resign our guys for decent money because FAs are getting worse every year so any team that can't lock up their players will get plundered by the rest.

I'm sure they have a handle on where the CAP is going so it really boils down to picking the most effective package that FA and the draft (not just this year either, though the speculation increases exponentially as we look into future off seasons) can give us.

EDIT: Oh and to the OP I like your 1 and 3 picks plus the CB. I would switch DT and WR as the draft is good for the type of WR we need. If I knew enough about Mix to make a positive call on him I would switch from drafting a WR in 2 to drafting a DE so I would end up:

DT and CB in FA

Pick 1 Albert

Pick 2 DE (WR if I was pretty sure Mix wasn't the answer)

Pick 3 Schmitt

Hackett, while not comparable to CJ or TO, seems like he could be a nice compliment to the existing receiving corps. He has NOT been injury prone as has been suggested. Receivers also generally need a year or two of seasoning before they actually break out. It looks like this guy, while probably not an all pro, manages to run routes correctly and be a team player.

receiving Stats

YEAR TEAM G REC YDS AVG LNG TD FD FUM LOST

2005 SEA 13 28 400 14.3 47 2 17 0 0

2006 SEA 14 45 610 13.6 47 4 33 0 0

2007 SEA 6 32 384 12.0 59 3 16 0 0

Career 33 105 1394 13.3 59 9 66 0 0

When I look at his career, I see that he is probably good for 60-70 receptions, 900 yards and 5-6 touchdowns.

OL is a position that we are NOT going to solve in FA. There aren't any top flight prospects (especially young ones) available. OL is our oldest position across the board, and not having solid depth there can ruin a season.....

For all those reasons, I would like the Alberts pick! Many people have used the logic that OGs are not worth 1st rounders (same for FBs, use to be the case with Safeties etc.) However, I think there is an equally compelling argument that drafting the 1st (i.e. best prospect) OG in the late first round is a great idea. There aren't any other positions where you will get the best prospect that late in the draft: the best QB, WR, RB, OT, DE, DT, LB, CB, and S (probably) will all be off the board. So why wouldn't you jump at the best OG prospect in the draft (who can also play RT)?

When I started this post I was basing everything on us getting a CB and WR in FA. Also, VC saying in his interview that OG, DT and FB would be positions we needed to address. Albert, I'm thinking would be the best available player at 21 in the 1st so we'd be stupid not to draft him.

Schmidtt is not worth a 3rd pick, bottomline, And you dont reach like that for a position that is already filled with one of the best in the league, albeit the guy is 32 or 33. IMHO. I would still like to go DE in the first round. The perception is that the only clear clearcut OL that are first rounders are the OT's. Alberts would have to combine his way in it, and overall I'd say its a bit of a reach. I would rather pick someone rated higher talent wise falling to us and opposed to someone's stock rising working his way up from the second round.

Can someone please show me anywhere that says Alberts is a bonafide first round pick with value at 21?

Not saying he's not and am open to being convinced of the value.

Why would Kendall go to the bench?? He's the starting Guard the other one would be a healthy Randy Thomas.

Jansen is a Tackle and his restructured deal has nothing to do with Kendall moving from a starting Guard to a backup Center or Guard.

Kendall is the worst one on the line and hes the oldest. He is by far the eaisest position to switch for Alberts. Kendall cant pull or get to the 2nd level

while everyone is bashing Hackett like they know anything, who is the best judge of whether DJ Hackett would be a good fit?

a) Jim Zorn

B) a load of blathering idiots on a web forum

so, basically I think if the team goes for DJH it's because Zorn is happy with him and sees him as a useful addition. That'll do for me, thanks

while everyone is bashing Hackett like they know anything, who is the best judge of whether DJ Hackett would be a good fit?

a) Jim Zorn

so, basically I think if the team goes for DJH it's because Zorn is happy with him and sees him as a useful addition. That'll do for me, thanks

Thats why i am adovacting for him. He can teach the system that they will run and gives campbell another target

Can someone please show me anywhere that says Alberts is a bonafide first round pick with value at 21?

Not saying he's not and am open to being convinced of the value.

Mike Mayock and I believe Kiper have Albert rated as the best G in the draft. Mayock loves the guy and I trust his opinion more than anyone else regarding the draft. He's all over the place in the mock drafts I've seen - anywhere from the mid-twenties first to early/mid second. I think the guy is going to shoot up the board after the combine. I personally think we could do much worse than take the guy at #21.

Mike Mayock and I believe Kiper have Albert rated as the best G in the draft. Mayock loves the guy and I trust his opinion more than anyone else regarding the draft. He's all over the place in the mock drafts I've seen - anywhere from the mid-twenties first to early/mid second. I think the guy is going to shoot up the board after the combine. I personally think we could do much worse than take the guy at #21.

I here ya but best guard in the draft does not mean he's a first round pick.

He is not in Mel Kipers top 25 Prospects.

He is not in Scout's Inc. top 32 Prospects.

He is mayocks top interior lineman but with no perspective relative to the first round or other talent at other positions.

Archived